Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been discriminated against by other writers--especially in this forum!--because I'm white. People tell me that because I don't write about different-color people I must be a racist.

Has this ever happened to you?

I firmly believe that any person, regardless of color, should be able to write about whoever they want, regardless of color. And people shouldn't be silenced for disagreeing. I try to express these values in my writing, too--freedom and a lack of censorship. That "politically correct" stuff is bogus--don't add white people or brown people or yellow people or whatever people for no reason!

Tell me if you agree and discuss!
you okay maj?

I mean I agree but... wut?
I'm tired of being discriminated against just because my stories don't have rainbow-colored casts!

I lived in Montana and would go months at a time without seeing a black person!
I agree with you there, but there are also limitations depending on where the work is set.

I am, of course, simply talking about matters of cultural, historical, and geographical accuracy. A black person would not feasibly be in medieval Germany.

Barring that, yah, like you said. Pretty much do whatever you want.
Cracker say what?

O.G. Elder

Indigo Dagger
I agree with you there, but there are also limitations depending on where the work is set.

I am, of course, simply talking about matters of cultural, historical, and geographical accuracy. A black person would not feasibly be in medieval Germany.

That's actually not true, they'd just be up there killin' white folk.

The Moors and all.
The Real Kain
Cracker say what?
rofl

I see what you intend to tell us, now.
Black Gabriel
Indigo Dagger

The Moors and all.
True, but there weren't as many of them. As there are now or in other time periods, anyway.

O.G. Elder

Indigo Dagger
Black Gabriel
Indigo Dagger

The Moors and all.
True, but there weren't as many of them. As there are now or in other time periods, anyway.

That's acceptable.

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
        Thank you for saying it, Maj.
        Your bluntness was needed in this situation.

Shameless Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friendly 100
I've never been discriminated against for not writing a black character myself, but I can see where it could happen. I live in Vermont, in a small town, so we don't really have a multi-racial populous, either. I've also seen what can happen when a person writes a black character that really shouldn't be writing one. They come out stereotypical, unimaginative, and unsympathetic. As much as I hate saying it since some people cling to it like a comfort-blanket, writers need to write what they know. And if all they know is white/black/Hispanic/Asian, then those are the characters they should be writing, and not trying to get accepted by everyone because they managed to get one stereotypical African-American in the story rather than have a well-created white character in the same role.

Not to say that a white person can't have a well-created African-American, but that it shouldn't be expected that a writer have a 'rainbow-colored cast,' as Maj put it.
You are officially one of my heroes.

NO ONE IN ANY RACE should apologize for being who and what they are! That includes whites!

I am all for equality. Equality in all things. What does it serve equality if we have the whites suddenly hunted for being white the way the less informed ancestors used to hunt others? That would mean humanity has NOT progressed at all.

Likewise it does not make sense for feminists to argue that they should be in power. How does it serve their purpose to reverse the roles? Equality is the key.
Harmony Note

NO ONE IN ANY RACE should apologize for being who and what they are! That includes whites!

I apologize several times a day.

I feel bad that being Asian means I come from a race totally filled with awesome, and that some people have to go around all day, not being as awesome as I am.

It's a heavy burden.
Meowhead
Harmony Note

I feel bad that being Asian means I come from a race totally filled with awesome, and that some people have to go around all day, not being as awesome as I am.

It's a heavy burden.
Indeed it is.
Indigo Dagger
Meowhead
Harmony Note

It's a heavy burden.
Indeed it is.

I know that was tongue in cheek but...

... don't apologize. BE AWESOME!

Which, by the way, you both are.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items