Welcome to Gaia! ::

I agree with Guyel. Two first-person point of veiws are fine, but switching from first to third sounds very difficult to use effectively and far more confusing.
I'd suggest switching from one first-person PoV to another first-person PoV, instead of switching to between first and third. You might lose some of the omniscience of third person, but it should be much easier to pull off.
clarion
I think you should evaluate those parts that require the main character to be absent. Is that really true? Can you rework those so that you don't leave the MC and are able to stay in first person? If they're absolutely necessary, then you need to look at your MC. If you're leaving them for some reason, that implies that someone else's problem is more important than theirs. Maybe a different character should be the protagonist if you keep having to swap away to a different POV.

No. The issues I'm having with it is that some parts need to be explained, that the main character wouldn't find out until later. As in she's not fey, and not part of the Seelie Court, or Unseelie Court, the reactions brought by Gywn wouldn't be straight in her face yet.

Yush, Rhys and Alyis and etc could inform her, but as they're Unseelie, they wouldn't be exactly too sure of everything either.

It'd all come together once she went into the Sidhe mound, but I'd be too wary of getting people too confused.

:3 I don't know. I was up sketching bits of it, so we'll see how it'll turn out.

Thanks for your opinion though ^_^
Instead of focusing on this one main character's first person, you could create a second or third supporting character whose eyes we can see through for the other parts. I'm reading a book with two main characters, both in first person, and every chapter it alternates. so 1, 3, 5, 7, etc are for one character, and 2, 4, 6, 8, etc is for the other
You can do that, switching between 1st and 3rd. Dunno if there's a name for it, but wassername does it, author of the Amelia Peabody mysteries. If a published author can get away with it (and not a particularly famous one), you probably can. Good luck, and have fun!
EDIT: Upon glancing over my post again, I feel I should note that they're actually good books. sweatdrop As in, that point of view worked very well for her.
If you're up for it, and if you feel confident enough, why don't you just switch back and forth between first person? As long as you make the characters and their thoughts/manerisms/slang different from each other, that could turn out really interesting. smile
Think of it this way if you're having trouble picturing how to write third person, try this: you're watching a movie. You're not a character, but you can see and hear everything that the author wants you to. You have a different, unbiased look on what's happening, but you have no effect on the outcome of the plot.

Although, for your situation, I would suggest that you not go into other characters at all - eliminating the need for you to decide whether or not you should use first or third person. I feel that if you have a singular main character in first person, you should stick with that character throughout the story. The same being said for multiple main characters. It keeps things constant for the reader.
What if you were to do all third person, limited omniscient. That allows you to switch to any person you need, but to only "know" what one person is thinking at a time. It allows you freedom, but you can't use 'I' with it.

Rude's Bestie

Cat

I think you should evaluate those parts that require the main character to be absent. Is that really true? Can you rework those so that you don't leave the MC and are able to stay in first person? If they're absolutely necessary, then you need to look at your MC. If you're leaving them for some reason, that implies that someone else's problem is more important than theirs. Maybe a different character should be the protagonist if you keep having to swap away to a different POV.
I don't see a problem with that. As long as the transitions you make aren't too drastic, the reader should be able to keep up. To keep them from getting confused the "I" "he" switches, perhaps you could put the parts that aren't narrated by the main character in italics.
CA.ged
I think it'll be cool, if you can pull it off. The only thing is, it might be somewhat distracting for the reader, from going to an "I" perspective to a "the character" perspective. But I've read a book that does that (switches every other chapter), called Storm Tide (by Marge Piercy and Ida... er, something) and it definitely could work.

Mmm. That's it. I'm not too sure if I can pull it off and have both of the point of views be on the same writing level. First is just stronger for me, and I struggle to get things done the way my mind sees them in third.

But thank you very much! <3
To switch points of view without losing flow or continuity requires a very good writer. If you are confident that you can skillfully switch points of view, then you can consider it. However, I don't reccomend it. Switching points of view sounds very choppy in the reader's mind, and confuses them as to who is really telling the story. Stick with one point of view.
For those who think knowing a bit of the story would help them, here's the link with the plot.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5082131
I think it'll be cool, if you can pull it off. The only thing is, it might be somewhat distracting for the reader, from going to an "I" perspective to a "the character" perspective. But I've read a book that does that (switches every other chapter), called Storm Tide (by Marge Piercy and Ida... er, something) and it definitely could work.
I have this story I'm working out, I posted the general plot and summary on here to get some insight, but I've found myself in a problem.

My strongest point, favoritest point, and the point that everything I write from is first. I love it.

But the story I'm dealing with, it needs parts without the main character. 3nodding Like Gywn and the Seelie Court. So that'd make it third person.

Being curious, and not wishing to completely give up my first person point of view, I was wondering if switching back and forth, back and forth was too messy? To go from First Person Point of View, to Third Person Point of View, and then back to First Person Point of View.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff