Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
Hey guys, so I haven't posted anything on here in the forums in a very, very, very long time, so I apologize if this sounds bad.

So anyway I have a question for other writers out there, out of all the genres out there in the world which one is your favorite, it doesn't have to be in any order ether, or in how many. Or even which kind of genres you like to write about too, or even both, I'm just asking out of curiosity really, trying to get myself back in the game of blogs and forums.

(Forgot to post what I write/read sweatdrop )

the stuff I write is and can be anything, but as of late I've been working on supernatural mystery thrillers and Dark Fantasy. which that last one might not be as well known since it's not a term one normally hears, it's like regulate fantasy but certain aspects have been upped, the story is darker, bloodier and more violent in a sense.
from time to time however I also write creepy short stories but only when the urge to write one hits me (it's astounding how rare that can be sometimes...) but when it dose it turns out pretty good I think.

As for what I read it goes about the same thing as what I write, I've read teen-romance, horror, supernatural thrillers, fantasy even books that were originally written in Japanese and translated into English. I always find it amazing how there are so many stories out there that follow a similar formala but never actually cross each other in story, each story is unique and different in it's own way and it's something I always look forward too when picking up a book.

Anyway so what do you guys think in all honesty I would love to know.
Suyuku-SAMA
So anyway I have a question for other writers out there, out of all the genres out there in the world which one is your favorite, it doesn't have to be in any order ether, or in how many. Or even which kind of genres you like to write about too, or even both.

Hard to say. I mostly write fantasy and science fiction, but that's mostly because I enjoy researching and world building. I have no special love for the genres themselves. I also enjoy thrillers and horror stories, though I never really try to write either of those things.
Fantasy and Science Fiction are what I stick to most of the time. Making up creatures, cultures, entire worlds from scratch is fun for me. Though unlike Maltese, there is a small bit of laziness to it for me as well. Its a lot of work to research real times and places in which to set fictions, or at least more research than I would have to do if I just make most of everything up. I will dip into fiction once in a while if it isn't too research heavy though.

I will read nearly any genre though. I usually avoid anything heavy on romance or horror, though I will occasionally read them. Fiction is a special case. It can get a little too close to home sometimes, so I don't always like to read it, but I will if the writing is good and the story gets my attention.

9,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
Turnilk
Fantasy and Science Fiction are what I stick to most of the time. Making up creatures, cultures, entire worlds from scratch is fun for me. Though unlike Maltese, there is a small bit of laziness to it for me as well. Its a lot of work to research real times and places in which to set fictions, or at least more research than I would have to do if I just make most of everything up. I will dip into fiction once in a while if it isn't too research heavy though.

I will read nearly any genre though. I usually avoid anything heavy on romance or horror, though I will occasionally read them. Fiction is a special case. It can get a little too close to home sometimes, so I don't always like to read it, but I will if the writing is good and the story gets my attention.

So you research as well? that's great to hear!
And your right it can be both hard and a pain, but if you look at it in the long run it'll be good for your story, I've looked up both historical figures and mythological creatures to give ether inspiration or ideas to the story I'm working on.

I think your story will be very interesting, just keep on at it!
Suyuku-SAMA
So you research as well? that's great to hear!
And your right it can be both hard and a pain, but if you look at it in the long run it'll be good for your story, I've looked up both historical figures and mythological creatures to give ether inspiration or ideas to the story I'm working on.

I think your story will be very interesting, just keep on at it!

Every writer does research at some point or another. It is very good for many different things. I will point out that it is very different from inspiration, though. Inspiration can come form anywhere, research not so much. To do good research, you have to find credible sources and possibly check where they get their information from if necessary. It can indeed be a pain, which is why I have some appreciation for those that do it well and make their story work within the time period and cultures they choose. I'm pretty sure my brain would melt if I did that much research for one topic though.

Thanks for the encouragement, but I did not mention that I was working on anything at the moment. I had been trying one simple project, but then I got stuck and am now trying to fix the issues I had so I can actually finish the bugger.
Am I the only who will say nonfiction prose, or?
I write what would be called fantasy and science fiction. I enjoy reading a wide range of genres. It's good for me and my writing.
User Image User Image

Definitely fantasy. Although I have dabbled in post-apocalypse/fantasy/sci-fi for one of my charactes' backgrounds that was quite fun. The world that I built still interests me, I just have no characters to put in it at the moment that I am inspired to either write and/or RP.

Alien Worshipper

Dark Fantasy is my favourite. It's currently the main genre I write about, too.

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I have always loved fantasy (and, to a lesser extent, science fiction). But, strangely enough, even though I tend to write fantasy, I have always had a nagging suspicion that my real talent (if I could just figure out how to get there) would be to write whatever the genre is that Paulo Coelho and Cormac McCarthy write in. (What is that, really?) Things like The Alchemsit by Coelho or The Crossing by McCarthy. Or even (another fantastic book) The Legend of the Wandering King by Laura Gallego Garcia. Wherever that place is, that makes writing like that exist... I want to get there one day.

9,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
Diabolical Indulgence

Really what's your story about, if I may ask that is, you don't have too if you don't want too. I can give the synopsis of mine (though it may change over time) if your interested whee

also your avi is simply astounding love the look and the colors 3nodding

Alien Worshipper

Suyuku-SAMA
Diabolical Indulgence

Really what's your story about, if I may ask that is, you don't have too if you don't want too. I can give the synopsis of mine (though it may change over time) if your interested whee

also your avi is simply astounding love the look and the colors 3nodding

Oh man, I am horrible at summing up things, especially my own story. It's certainly got lots of revenge in it. But that isn't what it's ~all~ about. It's got a lot of sci-fi stuff in it, too.

And thank-you for the compliment. heart

Purified Shounen

I will read just about anything, except almost all poetry. My favorite would have to be historical, historical fantasy, science fiction and fantasy.
Depending on which alter-ego I am feeling, I write fantasy, historical fantasy, science fiction contemporary, paranormal and science fiction. Then there is the common theme of homo-erotica running through those stories.
gaia_angelleft gaia_angelright
I prefer to read and write fantasy adventure :]
YA is still what i like to read as well even though Im an "adult"
Also Classics. I love to read the classics and have the ability to say in dignified conversation that "oh yes, i thoroughly enjoyed 20000 leagues under the sea" blah blah blah, or say i didnt enjoy one with integrity hahah

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff