Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi there. Can anyone tell me, if I post a poem on here for critique, can anyone take what I've written and use it as their own?

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Legally or technically?

Technically yes. Which is why some people feel uncomfortable posting their work online in places like this in full.

If you're talking about something you'd consider submitting for pay, I'd be very careful about it. Less because of worries of copiers and more because of worries of chasing off agents or publishers. I know books better than poetry, but I know agents will shy away from something that's published free online, or something that's been published independently and sold poorly. That's why I'd be hesitant to post anything fully polished and revised here (and why I had a novel-length story I'd drafted on Gaia over a decade ago removed).

Someone more familiar with poetry might be better able to go over pros and cons with you. If you're still honing your skills, I don't think I'd worry much. Posting online is a good way to get feedback and get better at your work. But I haven't stepped foot in poetry since 2010 and I have no idea how useful the critiques they give out currently are.
marcworr
Hi there. Can anyone tell me, if I post a poem on here for critique, can anyone take what I've written and use it as their own?

Can they legally use your work without permission? No.

Can they still copy and paste it from a forum thread and use it secretly? It can happen. There's always those kinds of risk when posting on the internet, especially a public forum, but the chances of someone being immoral and desperate enough to claim non-professional work as their own is pretty low. But even so, there are whole sites devoted to looking for plagiarism (how do you think teachers know when students turn in an honest research paper?) so you can always check every now and then to make sure no one is using your work online.
Thank you to the 2 people who replied with some information to my query (terradi and Kairi Nightingale).
I really don't think anyone would want to reuse my words anyway, my poem is probably really bad.
When I'm going through a bit of grief I often just put pen to paper and see what comes out. Yesterday I wrote some stuff and for some reason decided I'd like to share it. So here goes, I'll write half of my poem - I don't even know if you'd call it a poem, or what you'd actually call it - call it crap if you think.
I tend to have a thought, mostly deep and meaningful, and try to put it in words, or a sequence, that often comes out in a bit of a corny rhyme. But each line has an underlining meaning, or question; which is the real sustenance of the poem, not really the written words themselves. I hope some one gets it and the words aren't too illusory.
If anyone out there can be bothered to read it and even to let me know what they think about it I'd be happy, no matter what peoples thoughts on it are.
I probably should change the title of the post to 'critique please' or something similar. I'm not sure how to do that, or even if you can. Please advise if you know. Thank you.

Born

The joy we feel
Need to procreate
Such is the warmth
We’re here to create

Feelings so special
With partner of thee
Let’s make, set free
Spirits journey to be

Natures labour
Courtesy of our saviour
Bear gift of light