Welcome to Gaia! ::

A lot of people ask me why I don't swear, and that's always a hard question to answer, because the truth is, I do. I just fee that it's a waste of words to swear when it doesn't mean anything. I swear when I need the emphasis, and that's about it. I do like to make up my own curses though. One of my favorites was "raging whore on wheels" (as an exclamation, not an insult) And that progressed to "whore and a half".. Generally though I just make them up as I go along.
I do about the same thing for writing. Where it feels right, I write it in. I hate wasting words, and sometimes I get obsessed over finding just the right word (a very annoying curse). Profanity usually just doesn't cut it for me, but sometimes it's just necessary, depending on the character and the situation.
If a character would swear if they were real, I'll put it down. And pretty much every swear word is fair game, too. Some of my characters swear, and some don't. None of them swear constantly, though...it just takes all the punch out of swear words.
now and days everyone swears. i dont mind profanity in writing, as long as it fits the time period (im sorry, cave men did not go walking around shouting out "b***h! ********!" so dont even try it)
Castalia A. Belmont
People use profanity. So should characters, if it's in their nature.

And the title of this thread made me giggle. That's all. xd

Sorry, My egotism forces me to Call attention to a Compliment paid to me.....

Wow, This is the Longest Topic I've ever Started...... I just got back to this after Cursing off a Newb in Politics..... "For the Sake of the Bloody ******** Pillsbury Doughboy.....", Which Brings me to Profanity as a Form of Humor......

It is Undoubtedly Hilarious when you combine Harsh words with Normally Light-Hearted Phrases..... like "The Bastardized Taco..... el Gordito"

What thoughts do you guys have on the Topic...... and do you get as Pissed at the Newbs as we in ED Get?
im basicially repeating what everyone else is saying, most people swear in reality so why not reflect that in writing.
Who nows how many times we've all heard this after reading this thread, but I'd have to say that profanity is fine, it makes characters real. Sorry that it's just a repetition of what everyone else said, but I thought I would simply add my opinion to the mass'.

All in all, profanity is useful, as long as you don't go overboard with it
Yeah, exactly what the person above me said . . as long as it's "in-character", and the profanity is appropriate, then it can be used very effectively.

But to have too much of it can also deter the readers from enjoying the full potential of the book/article.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff