Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desi the fuzzy fluffhead

I think all of my characters tend to take on a life of their own. In my opinion, it's not up to the author to decide how a character develops, in so far as they can decide what events happen to the character, but not how the character reacts. Once a character has been introduced and a scene established, human nature must necessarily take over in order for a character to properly develop, even for non-human characters.

At any rate, I did manage to get more writing done tonight. I wrote another 800-some words earlier, and still managed to get my essay done for class. =3

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
Progress: You will never believe this. I will never believe it. But I forgot to write yesterday. What can I say? I had a Monday. We all know how those go.

I plan on making it double today to make up for it.

Dapper Lunatic

11,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
I haven't posted here in like ages D:
Finally found a beta reader though Horay!
113 chapters
420 pages
226087 words O_O

Things to do:
Character profiles, plot summary, editing, rewrites, finishing.
Caelyx-Starshine
Hello all! smile I have a problem, and since fixing writing dilemas is what this thread seems to be based on I 'd like any advice that you're willing to share. You see, I don't have a problem with getting my words out onto my page. The words flow freely from my imagination, to my hands, and onto the screen. My problem is burn out and the lack of a sounding board... I start working on something, and it's really good,usually. However i work and work and work some more on that particular story that I end up just not finihing it. I burn out and the lack of real encouragement is conducive to just that, burn out. Are there any suggestons to help prevent the burn out?
I would say the best way to fall passionately in love with your story again is to talk it out with people. I have a bunch of friends who know so much about my story because I tell them about all the parts that I love when I need to remind myself why I've spent the last five years working on it. So, if you want someone to listen, feel free to message me! Also, I don't know how well it'll work, but my story is very conducive to the writing of short stories unrelated to the main plot. They're just tiny little projects that allow me to take a break from the actual story, while not having to depart the magical world I've created! xp

Shadowy Rogue

Skifazziolielle
I would say the best way to fall passionately in love with your story again is to talk it out with people. I have a bunch of friends who know so much about my story because I tell them about all the parts that I love when I need to remind myself why I've spent the last five years working on it. So, if you want someone to listen, feel free to message me! Also, I don't know how well it'll work, but my story is very conducive to the writing of short stories unrelated to the main plot. They're just tiny little projects that allow me to take a break from the actual story, while not having to depart the magical world I've created! xp

Thank You ^.^, that was Exactly what I was talking about when saying I was in need of a sounding board. Some one to talk to, and bounce new ideas off of . Someone that would give me an honest and Indepth answer of what they thought of it, how I might change it if I were to change it at all.

Thank you All Sooo Much!

Sparkly Gekko

Progress!

I finally buckled down and started typing up chapter twelve; I've got just under 1000 words done so far. So I'm almost a third of the way done. smile

Questionable Streaker

Progress: A few sentences. Baby steps.
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
@Loper:
Yay! That's a good amount of work.
When do you have to have it by?
The only thing about ordering online is the wait. Hate waiting.
That sucks about the sports shops. Are they small shops?
I don't have to have it by any date really, but it'd be nice to have it by the end of March, once my lessons finish and I can then go on open sessions.
Yes. A friend of mine ordered Paper Towns by John Green off Amazon and it took nearly a year to arrive. Originally, it was out of stock and then they must have lost her order or something. Either way, it evantually came.
No, not small shops, but the closest "real" slopes are either a few hours flight away down to France or a half hour's flight (plus driving hours) up to Scotland, so there's not the greatest demand for snowboard bags in the world.
Progress: I continued editing Dark Angels using a text to speech program at school. I have about 20 chapters left to edit. I'm editing and writing it a little every day so I don't have so much to edit at the end. biggrin

Feral Lunatic

50,800 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Party Member 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
Been a while since I posted here. I suck at maintaining internet contact. >_>;

Anywho, this update is more like a rant. I've had a crappy couple weeks. -_-; First I had severe writer's block. When that finally started to lift, the cat went in to be spayed. She's staying in my room while she heals, which means she's constantly bugging me (and tried to tear out her stitches. gonk ) After a few days of that, she's starting to settle into routine, but now my writer's block is back. *sigh* I think I hit this stage where I can see the end of a project in the distance and suddenly self-doubt consumes me. burning_eyes

And I pulled a shoulder muscle today. While sneezing. I kid you not.

I'm way behind schedule on the novel. I wanted this draft done by March, but I've still got like 10-15k to write and then a bunch of gaps and I think some scenes that need another rewrite... Also the person I'd intended to give the novel to for a read-through seems to be ignoring me. Nice.

Plus side? I've got an idea for Nano. I've got tons of notes jotted down, and I'm closing in on a theme for it. It's literary, so it'll be a nice change from what I'm doing now. But I really need to get my a** in gear, because I intended to have this novel totally finished and then the first draft of another novel done before Nano... >_>;

Questionable Prophet

@Caelyx:
OuO Nice!
It sounds good. I like the idea of following characters through the whole apocalyptic situation, rather than just jumping in after the apocalypse happens. How many books are going to be in your series?

@Shadowfox:
Never Rains but Pours is nice!
The sunny weather will be a nice juxtaposition, it makes the first paragraph suspenseful.
Yay for new writer music! You just need to listen to it five million times and then you'll like it. He's slowly changing you.
I don't like screamy music either.
Sweetness on the handwritten page! That's awesome. The R.P. sounds fascinating. Good luck with it.

@Alara:
That's pretty much how I think about it as well. Even if the plot is going one way, a character develops and they can't be forced to do something. It's especially so for character-driven stories.
Whoot about the 800 words and the whoop for the essay. heart

@Misuki:
Shame upon you. >;0
I expect at least 1,200 words by the end of the day.
Good luck getting the words done.

@Persona:
Welcome back!
Yay for getting a beta! Hope s/he works out well for you.
Holy moly that is a lot of words. O.O
Sounds like a sweet plan.

@Kitsune:
Yay! That's amazing. heart
Go, go, go!

@Loper:
Sentences are good. ^^
That's a good amount of time, it should be here.
A year? I would have thrown a fit, that's horrible. A nice surprise through.
You live in the middle of no where.e.e
That's cool that your close-ish to both of those placse.

@Sanjifan:
blaugh You're going along so fast! Doing an awesome job.
A text to speech thing? Interesting. They use to have that at one of my schools. I thought that little robotic voice it made was funny.

@Flea:
Hey ^^.
That is a terrible crappy of weeks. e.e
You must have offended the holy kittens. Try growing some catnip, it may help.

When we got our cat spayed we ended up wrapping an ace bandage around her.
You have about 9 months before NaNo, 270 days and roughly 6,480 hours to get all caught up on your schedule. Once you hope into it, it'll start coming.
What's your theme for NaNo shaping out to be?

My Progress:
I wrote about, 1,289 words, and then cut them all.
This book is shaping out to look just like the first book. I need to organize it better or something. I may write a thread to see what the WF thinks about series.
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead

@Shadowfox:
Never Rains but Pours is nice!
The sunny weather will be a nice juxtaposition, it makes the first paragraph suspenseful.
Yay for new writer music! You just need to listen to it five million times and then you'll like it. He's slowly changing you.
I don't like screamy music either.
Sweetness on the handwritten page! That's awesome. The R.P. sounds fascinating. Good luck with it.

Yep...he's changing me all right.

I've decided to allot myself an hour and fifteen minutes every day to write. It's a good amount of time for me actually. And then later, before I go to bed I write some more...but that writing doesn't always actually make sense, depending on how tired I am. My descriptions manage to become colours. Like in Never Rains but it Pours, the first part, I wrote the firs draft of the first part when I was almost sleeping. The day was described as "yellow" instead of "sunny" because that's what yellow means to me, even though it only sort of made sense in that context.

In my hour and fifteen minutes today I managed to write 2 1/2 pages. One thing though, is I have a tendency to take on the emotions of my characters when I'm writing them, so today when my character went off the deep end, so did I. It's not really good for me, since I'm already bipolar and I have a struggle to keep from, well not "going off the deep end". I've been doing better with it, better enough that I don't have to take the meds anymore, but its still hard and me taking the charatcer's emotions doesn't help.

lol, juxtaposition. I like that word. I'm gonna steal it.

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
Progress: Yesterday, again, I forgot to post it.

I think about... 600 words of the letter fic series. I dunno. I wrote my personal journal up on 750words and it took up a lot of room, but I still got a little fic-time in.

Ugh. Drama, drama, drama. I'll never have a good day again.

That little bit yesterday might be all I get in for a while. >|

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Finished rewrite of chapter. Got folders to organize writing. Have yet to put notes in folders.

Dapper Lunatic

11,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Invisibility 100
@ Desi
Indeed biggrin , longest thing I've ever worked on and the closest I've ever been to finishing a story that wasn't a short story.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff