Welcome to Gaia! ::

Progress:
Finished chapter 6 of Moonblood. Word count: 4,193.
Total word count: 28,561.

I'm excited. Chapter 7 is where the real action starts smile
@ person who mentioned it, sorry. On the app so can't look at it again and I forgot.

Thanks! After teh first 2 hours of pain, I started to worry. Glad it was nothing.

Now, this poem keeps getting longer! I know what's coming aka the end, but I keep coming up with things that flow into what's before it. I'm sure I'll come up with more during it. Editing this is going to be an interesting exercise.

Learning a lot though. Really is pushing me in terms of description and all. So few words to express so much.
More progress, I'm now partway through chapter 7 of Moonblood.
Word count so far: 5,342 and nowhere near finished, but it's 11:02pm and my head hurts.

Total word count for Moonblood so far: 33,903.

Sparkly Gekko

Got sick. Haven't gotten much done as a result. I think I need to redefine my literary goals again, because that's not a counterproductive coping mechanism or anything.

I think I'll put everything on hold until I'm not feeling miserable anymore.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
terradi
9 years is a long time to devote to a project, even if just off-and-on. I've attempted exactly one short detective-type piece ... they require a bit more intelligent planning than I tend towards.

How far are you on that piece?

~

No progress on Soliloquy yesterday. Prepping for a job interview today. After that's over I hope to devote the afternoon to writing.

Soliloquy is the third in a YA vampire series I'm writing. It follows Vyka, a Russian vampire still relatively new to America. To me it's a happy story. I'm not sure that'd be something everyone would agree on. It deals with ghosts, getting over the past, and fighting addictions. His world effectively fell apart at the end of the first book and it finally comes back together in the third. It's bittersweet, really.

I got about 3/5ths of the way through drafting it, then realized that the really cool thing I had happen in Chapter 3 would be much, much better as the climax of the story, so I started a new draft and have been reshuffling things to make them fit since then. I'm in the middle of a bunch of new scenes that I hadn't planned in the first write. I don't think I have more than a handful of those before I get to go to some of the pre-typed stuff again. Still trying to work out where some of the scenes that I've already written best belong. I have one in particular that is a big reveal, and an absolute must. Trying to figure out exactly where it best fits is a bit of a challenge

Well, I was 16 when I first started it, so, as I mature and become more skilled I keep rewriting it.
I've completed four rewrites and three drafts.
I'm determined that the upcoming rewrite will be the last rewrite, but the start of many drafts. I've got a good alternating plan for my two projects, devoting six months to each at a time.

That sounds like such an interesting vampire series. What kind of addictions? How old is Vyka?

Rearranging can be challenging. I've heard of people putting all their scenes on index cards and then just laying them out and swapping the order here and there to see what happens.

Hope your interview goes/went well!

Sounds like the right way to do it. My first in the series was one of those. Came back to it after years away ... last time I really worked on it was 2004. Picked it up again in 2012. It took a few drafts to bring it up to speed, but I think it's there now.

Does going back and forth on stories work well for you? If so, why? I've never been able to juggle this sort of commitment well, which is why I'm curious.

My vampires work a little differently than most. Feeding on humans is required, killing them isn't. Just means you have to feed more often and take smaller quantities. That said, killing is addictive. Vampires get stronger by doing so, so some really don't see any issues with this. Mostly, it's the newbies who struggle with it. After a while you just adjust. Vyka killed his first victim. It's pretty common if you don't have a mentor to pull you away, but it's not something he's ever adjusted to or gotten over. Seven years and counting he's been trying and failing to find a better way. He's finally in a position to possibly do so, but it's going to be a hard fight.

Drugs don't work on vampires. Including painkillers. They heal more quickly, thankfully, but there are a lot of drawbacks to being immortal. A lot of the older ones go mad with age, and vampires are extremely territorial and violent about defending their territories so a young vampire without any allies (if they're unfortunate enough to have been abandoned by their creator or if their creator kills themself) is in serious trouble.

I wanted to create a world where being immortal comes with some serious costs. Benefits too, if you survive long enough, but there are too many romantic vampire stories out there. I didn't want to write another one of those.
Progress:
Chapter 7 of Moonblood is done. 7,894 words, bringing the current total word count up to 36,455.
I think (if I do say so myself) this is turning out to be some of my best work.

Shy Sophomore

17,050 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
Slow progress. Wrote 919 words and will probably write more on HIAH and managed to write back up to 3,644 words for Apocalyptic Hell because I switched from third person to first. Might swap back if I don't like being stuck in my main MC's head since I saved the original in a file where I have character notes.

Sir Icehawk

No worries ^^ Apps tend to make things a wee harder when replying. It's a good thing it was nothing but heartburn. There's at least sixteen different health problems that have the chest pain symptom.

At least the poem is challenging you to expand on your descriptions which is good. I'm sure you're gonna enjoy editing it in one way or another.

Edited: Total count today is 1467 words before it rolls over to the next day. And I solidify on a title for HiaH's first book. I have a feeling it may not be able to cram the whole story into one book if and when I finish the final draft and with edits.
Progress:
Chapter 8 of Moonblood done. Words: 9,557.
46,012 words total.

First werewolf transformation scene was fun to write.

Sparkly Gekko

Feeling less crappy so I got back to work. Fleshed out a new character to include in chapter four of that YA satire story and also plotted the actual stuff that has to happen during the chapter too.

Probably gonna wait until tomorrow or so to actually write the first draft though.

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Was going to write. Decided to spend the night chasing down a better query angle instead. Not sure I have it entirely right yet, but I think I'm a lot closer than I was.

Shy Sophomore

17,050 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
Managed to write a little over 4,083 words in two days on The Dragon Tattoo's Apprentice (HiaH) which made me very pleased despite what was going on.

Sparkly Gekko

Finally over whatever that sickness was. Trying to figure out which thing to work on today. I've got two to choose from at the moment: Faerie Fugitive or Specter.

I may end up working on both, who knows. Putting everything else on hold for until I'm done with those two stories.

EDIT: Worked a bit on Faerie Fugitive chapter four. Added zombies because why not.

Questionable Prophet

terradi

Sounds like the right way to do it. My first in the series was one of those. Came back to it after years away ... last time I really worked on it was 2004. Picked it up again in 2012. It took a few drafts to bring it up to speed, but I think it's there now.

Does going back and forth on stories work well for you? If so, why? I've never been able to juggle this sort of commitment well, which is why I'm curious.

My vampires work a little differently than most. Feeding on humans is required, killing them isn't. Just means you have to feed more often and take smaller quantities. That said, killing is addictive. Vampires get stronger by doing so, so some really don't see any issues with this. Mostly, it's the newbies who struggle with it. After a while you just adjust. Vyka killed his first victim. It's pretty common if you don't have a mentor to pull you away, but it's not something he's ever adjusted to or gotten over. Seven years and counting he's been trying and failing to find a better way. He's finally in a position to possibly do so, but it's going to be a hard fight.

Drugs don't work on vampires. Including painkillers. They heal more quickly, thankfully, but there are a lot of drawbacks to being immortal. A lot of the older ones go mad with age, and vampires are extremely territorial and violent about defending their territories so a young vampire without any allies (if they're unfortunate enough to have been abandoned by their creator or if their creator kills themself) is in serious trouble.

I wanted to create a world where being immortal comes with some serious costs. Benefits too, if you survive long enough, but there are too many romantic vampire stories out there. I didn't want to write another one of those.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been avoiding this place as I've been avoiding my writing. sweatdrop

This my first time doing the alternating thing.
I was falling into a rut with TFoC, and thinking about giving up on it, especially when I've had this other idea that's been boiling in my head for years.
Previously while taking a breaks on it, I didn't take long ones and I didn't work on much else during them as well, so I wasn't really getting it out of my head during those break.

So, I hatched up this plan to take six months to work on something else, and then I figured might as well make it an alternating schedule. Six months is a good time between edits I figure.
Hoping it works. sweatdrop

Awesome on being able to pick up the first book and finish it.
I would read that vampire novel so hard it wouldn't know what had happened.

I agree that there are far too many vampire romances, that don't even really address the problem of being a vampire.
Are vampires generally accepted in the world you're writing. Like, people know they exist?

My Progress:
Finally conquered the transition from the normal world to magic world in my novel mostly via avoidance.
Anyways, on to part 2 in Unrealities.

Dapper Dabbler

I've finished chapter XII of "Toska" and hit 30,000 words. I'm at least a fourth of the way through now. (:
The poem's done. It's 15 pages. Just under 4,000 words. Yikes!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff