Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Hello, Writers! I'm finally at a point where I can host another writing contest, and I wanted to get your opinions on what types of contest rules and prizes there should be. So, if you could send your input my way, that'd be super helpful. In addition to my questions, please feel free to add any thoughts you might have. Thanks!

Some of the questions I thought of:

• Do you prefer gold or items as prizes (or art)?
• What kind of a prize (gold or items) do you need to be enticed to enter a contest?
• How long do you think is a good length of time for a contest (understanding that you will have to write something new for this contest)?
• Do you prefer themed/prompt contests or open-ended ones?
• Do you have a favorite style/format of writing contest?
• Would you like mini giveaways (gold or items) that happened during the duration of the contest?
• What do you like to write about? (If you answer this, please feel free to be as descriptive as possible. I want to design a contest that will inspire people but still leave room for enjoyment and creativity.)
• Do you like contest entries posted in the thread or not visibile to other entrants?

Again, thank you for your time and opinions!

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Reed Meroe! :'D I remember you from the 'Grimm Fantasy' contest you hosted years ago (and how I ended up not submitting anything in the end T.T). Ufufufu you're hosting another contest? :') Aweeesome! ^_^ I started doing some Gaia writing contests but... the contest thread was really inactive, and the one contest I managed to submit something to 'cause I didn't miss the deadline... well, the host kind of abandoned the entrants -.-' Anyways, here ya go:

• Do you prefer gold or items as prizes (or art)?

I am okay with all of 'em, but particularly gold.

• What kind of a prize (gold or items) do you need to be enticed to enter a contest?

Since I'm a poor, poor Gaian I'd like at least 100k and I don't care about what the item is, but, if the contest interests me, I'd join it anyways.

• How long do you think is a good length of time for a contest (understanding that you will have to write something new for this contest)?

A couple of months, honestly. Sometimes one month just isn't enough and things can come up.

• Do you prefer themed/prompt contests or open-ended ones?

I prefer the former. Just to narrow down what I have to write, and to give me ideas.

• Do you have a favorite style/format of writing contest?

Hmmm, I'm okay with anything, really.

• Would you like mini giveaways (gold or items) that happened during the duration of the contest?

That'd be super cool, and fun! :'D But, again, I'd be okay if it wasn't there.

• What do you like to write about? (If you answer this, please feel free to be as descriptive as possible. I want to design a contest that will inspire people but still leave room for enjoyment and creativity.)

Anything dark and weird and absolutely bizarro! Just... think about Alice in Wonderland. That story was weird and dark too, to certain degrees. I love, love, love stuff like that. ^_^

• Do you like contest entries posted in the thread or not visibile to other entrants?

I'd be okay with it being visible to other entrants, yeah. I can get some extra critique that way, right? smile

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
SebastiansLittleDoll
Hello! I'm pleasantly surprised you remember my last contest! Yes, I'm really excited to be able to host another one. There are some awesome writers on Gaia, and I love making contests!

Thank you for answering all my questions. It really helps. I'm poor, too, but I like to make contests with worthwhile prizes (since writing is effort). I was considering a single contest, but lately I've been leaning toward an ongoing prompt-based contest with items as prizes. (Right now the items are 50–150 million, but that could go up.) I guess it's sort of a combination of my mini-contest and regular contest idea. (But that's all I'll say about it.)

The hardest part for me is trying to find a prompt/theme that is open-ended but still gives people direction (I hate contests that just say "enter anything" ). I'd love to read weird/dark/bizarro stuff!

I agree with the idea of entries being visible, too. I think it makes the contest overall more enjoyable. I'll also take into account your opinion on gold. (I like gold, too. ^_^)

I am hoping to get my contest up and running very soon, so look forward to it! (An additional question: what do you think is a good minimum word requirement for a short story—one that could be classified as just a scene or a one-shot?)

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Reed Meroe

'Course I remember, the theme for that contest was awesome and these days I'm been getting a lot of ideas concerning darker versions of fairy tales T.T I missed out DX And I know right? surprised There are some seriously amaaazing writers on Gaia~

Wow, that's actually super kind of you surprised I was also thinking about hosting a contest, but I dunno, I'd like to give a considerable amount of gold and I don't think I have enough xP If you were accepting donations I wouldn't mind donating, though surprised

Ahhh, don't get me started on contests like those -.- And dark/weird/bizarro stuff make our humble planet go 'round :'D

*Nods* Gold... is awesome ^(*-*)^ And perfect for going shopping ._.' Which I haven't been doing much of ._.' Or, even better, alchemy >.>'

Ouuu how soon? July? August? surprised No pressure, I'm just curious, is all ^_^' And I think a good minimum... hmm, 1000, I think. You'd be surprised with what people can come up with in just 1000 words o.o And that'd the minimum for a lot of magazines soooo... ^_^'

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
SebastiansLittleDoll

I loved that contest, too. Maybe I should do it again? (Would that be weird? I guess there are new people on Gaia, too…)

Thank you! I would love donations to the contest as well (I was thinking of putting up an option for that); if it proves successful, I'd like to keep it running for as long as I could.

(Heh. I haven't been doing much alchemy lately, either. But thanks to the dumpster, I have a lot of caches. Let me know if you ever need some!)

I'm shooting for this month, hopefully before the end of it. But I'm still deciding on what my graphic/layout is going to be. Once I get that, it shouldn't be to hard to get everything up and running.

1000 words? That seemed pretty good to me, too (and to a friend I asked). Good point about the magazines!

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Reed Meroe
SebastiansLittleDoll

I loved that contest, too. Maybe I should do it again? (Would that be weird? I guess there are new people on Gaia, too…)

Thank you! I would love donations to the contest as well (I was thinking of putting up an option for that); if it proves successful, I'd like to keep it running for as long as I could.

(Heh. I haven't been doing much alchemy lately, either. But thanks to the dumpster, I have a lot of caches. Let me know if you ever need some!)

I'm shooting for this month, hopefully before the end of it. But I'm still deciding on what my graphic/layout is going to be. Once I get that, it shouldn't be to hard to get everything up and running.

1000 words? That seemed pretty good to me, too (and to a friend I asked). Good point about the magazines!

Ahhh, it may be kinda weird, 'cause even though there are new people I think there'll also be a bunch of people from then who still remember it.

Wheee I get to be helpful~ ^(^-^)^

Whoa, the dumpster gives out caches?! I thought that was just a rumor. o.o Waaah I need to get to the dumpster ASAP! D:

(Update: I went to the dumpster right when I said that and I got a philosopher's cache :') It's my lucky day :'D )

*-* I look forward to it! ^_^ Good luck!

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
SebastiansLittleDoll
Lol! Yes, you're being really helpful, and I much appreciate it! I am surprised you didn't know about the caches in the DD. It's been a little sporadic this past weekend, but usually the trolls dump caches regularly. And I mean a lot of them. As in, anywhere from 10,000 to 100,000 at a time. So it's actually rather rare for them to run out now. Still, if you need anymore let me know. I've got a bunch just sitting in my inventory that I will never use.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Reed Meroe
SebastiansLittleDoll
Lol! Yes, you're being really helpful, and I much appreciate it! I am surprised you didn't know about the caches in the DD. It's been a little sporadic this past weekend, but usually the trolls dump caches regularly. And I mean a lot of them. As in, anywhere from 10,000 to 100,000 at a time. So it's actually rather rare for them to run out now. Still, if you need anymore let me know. I've got a bunch just sitting in my inventory that I will never use.

emotion_kirakira Really? Yesss ^(*-*)^ And I'm surprised I didn't know, either. But, then again, I haven't been going on Gaia in the last month or so, much less participating in events and keeping up with the news for like, the last half year? And that sounds like wonderful news! :'D Maybe I can finally get the Black Butler: Ran Mao clothes *-* And it's all right, I gotta work hard to become... a true alchemist~ *-*

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I think it's time for a bump!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers