Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm working on a feature article for school on types of literature people find on the Internet (in particular role-playing, fan-fictions and just posting original work) and it'd be really helpful if people would be able to answer some questions that I have.

Of course if the questions don't apply to you, you don't need to answer them. Also, if you have anything else you'd like to add that may be helpful, I would be grateful for that too.

Role-playing

1. Why do you role-play?
2. Do you believe that you have become more literate by taking part in role-playing?
3. Do you have any personal thoughts and feelings linked with role-playing? For example: do you find it relaxing or do you like being able to create and become a character that is entirely your own?

Fan-fictions

1. Why do you write/read fan-fiction?
2. Do you incorporate your own character into an otherwise original cast? If so, why?
3. Do you believe that you have become more literate by writing fan-fiction?

Original work

1. What are your thoughts and feelings towards posting original work online?
2. Have you ever received constructive criticism that has helped you become a better writer?

Etc.

1. How often do you read books?
2. Do you believe that there is a wider range of texts to read online rather than on paper?
3. Are you more comfortable with receiving and giving criticism online or in person?

Thanks! ^^

Shy Fatcat

Roleplaying:
1. I am a huge fan of acting and drama, so I am extremely entertained by creating my own character or using a canon character and pretending to be them. It is a way for me to get creative and helps me understand my characters on a different level because I have to be them.
2. Not necessarily, no, however it has helped me in character development.
3. Already answered. emotion_c8

Original Work:
1. I would rather hand my work into a publisher and have it released that way, however if people want to post their work on the internet, then that's entirely up to them. emotion_c8
2. Yes, I have by my peers and from fellow writers in this forum on such topics as editing, formatting, etc.

Etc.
1. I read at least once a night before I go to bed, making sure I finish at least a chapter.
2. I do believe so yes, but I am one who is more inclined to go and buy a book rather than read over the internet.
3. I don't mind either way.

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Fan-fictions

To keep me writing, and for funsies.

2. Do you incorporate your own character into an otherwise original cast? If so, why?
Not really, I keep the original characters but tweak them a bit.

I don't write fan-fiction often enough for it to have an influence on me.

Original work

Depends on what it is. Short stories and factual blogs, yeah they go online, novels, hell no!! I make sure that the reader is aware of copywrite laws when I post stories.

2. Have you ever received constructive criticism that has helped you become a better writer?
Never, which I could do with.

Etc.

Daily (mixture of fiction and factual books)

2. Do you believe that there is a wider range of texts to read online rather than on paper?
I'm skeptical of online work. Work on paper has a higher rate of accuracy and reliability. Anyone can publish work on the internet.

3. Are you more comfortable with receiving and giving criticism online or in person?
Of course.

Shy Hunter

7,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Member 100
Role-playing
1. Why do you role-play?
Because I enjoy creative writing, and exploring storylines and character backstories with the input and ideas of other people. It's something I've been doing since I was 14, so 7 years and going strong. razz
2. Do you believe that you have become more literate by taking part in role-playing?
Yes, certainly. Role-playing has also helped me to learn how to avoid cliches in storylines, and has also at times bred a certain level of competitiveness.
3. Do you have any personal thoughts and feelings linked with role-playing? For example: do you find it relaxing or do you like being able to create and become a character that is entirely your own?
It's relaxing and fun.

Fan-fictions
Read, yes. I haven't written any for quite some time.
Both, although any fan-characters of mine are usually lesser in importance than the main canon ones.
Yes, with practice.

Original work
If there is a market for it, why not?
Not very often, but yes.

Etc.

Daily.
Yes and no, it depends on what subject said texts is on.
Online.
Role-playing
1. I role play because I was introduced to it several years ago and invited onto Gaia to partake in one. There's something about it that keeps me coming back.
2. I certainly feel I have grown more literate by role-playing. My vocabulary has expanded through my experiences in roleplays.
3. I do think that I get a personal boost from role-playing. I live vicariously through my characters, which I suspect is why I mostly play characters of my gender.

Fan-fictions
1. I write a fan fiction because I got caught up in the card game that originated from the anime. It has a lot to do with the periods I go through where I play the game alot.
2. I create a brand new cast for my fanfiction. I find it hard to work with the pre-established characters.
3. So far, my work within the fandom has not been my best, so I would have say it hasn't made me any more literate, if only because there's no required literacy level to post fanfiction.

Original work
1. I'm ok with posting my original work online. The website I post on protects the rights of the writer.
2. I've definitely gotten constructive criticism that improved my writing. In fact, getting it was probably the contributing factor to my passion for writing this story.

Etc.
1. I read a new probably twice a year. Maybe I need to bring that number up.
2. There's certainly a higher number of available text online than on paper, the real question is how much of that compared with the printed word is worth reading?
3. I think that no matter how it's given to me, I can work with constructive criticism. I've gotten it from both people I know in real life in a real life situation (like at work) and I've gotten it from anonymous readers I only know through pennames on websites.
Roleplaying.

1. I used to roleplay because it used to be fun (before "elites" took over).

2. Yes. It gives the writer practice in different POV's depending on style. I used to write in first person aplenty and then turned to third and then went to second. It was all over the ball field depending on the roleplay.

3. I got excited when there was a sudden (interesting) twist in the story, but....not so interesting anymore. (May not apply to your questions, but roleplays tend to lack originality. Example: I was in a roleplay with animalistic human science experiments. Well it died. Not long after, there was a very shoddily written copy of it on the site. Didn't add or take away anything from the original. It's like... "Really?" wink

Fanfics.

1. I've written a couple for the comedic value of it all. As such there were hilarious pairings (including the Yaoi genre but not graphic) and a blending of a sort of New York City scene (including the mafia and a little *****) and Naruto's somewhat old/modern world. It was pretty funny, but I lost it. T.T

2. No, I don't incorporate original characters in because it messes up the story. I've done it a couple of times, but one little monster grew up and turned into a whole new project that almost ate me alive and I was like, "ARG!"

3. Again, fanfiction is excellent practice for the beginning (or even advanced) writers (not only in the technicalities of writing, but also in having to think about circumstances of pre-existing work and having to (through fanfictions) adhere to them. I've seen some pretty creative backstories to make the fanfictions make sense) and it's an way to get the inventive and creative juices flowing. Also, aside from that, when other ppl use words or phrases that I don't know, I have to look it up and in that way my vocabulary expands. ^_^

Original Works

1. On sites for advertising, it's advisable, because it's online and it's your account (so you can sue the pants off anyone who tries to steal it anyway ONCE YOU HAVE PROOF THAT IT'S YOURS. On sites like Gaia, where idiot high schoolers come in and out for help in writing poetry and stuff like that, no. They're getting a free ride off of someone else's work. It bothers me.

2. Occasionally, but I'm a stubborn a** (in the meaning for mule) as far as my writing goes so it has to make sense to me before I accept it as good advice. It's a good and a bad thing, but hey, that's okay. The important thing about taking advice and constructive criticism is knowing which of it is good and which of it is bad.

Etc...

1. As often as schedule allows me to. (I swear it's like sweet chocolate delight to my brain after what seems like forever eating dry, tasteless bread.)

2. Yes. This is where amateur or unpublished writers can post their work.

3. Either way is good for me. Problem is usually, in person I just say, "Okay." People take that for ignoring what they've said, but it really means, "I'm logging this into my brain as temporary/permanent/contemplative information."

Dangerous Enabler

Role-playing

1. Why do you role-play? I don't, anymore. I had a couple that I really loved, but they ended and they've spoiled me for any others. I role-played to be able to play around in other people's worlds, because game mechanics interest me.
2. Do you believe that you have become more literate by taking part in role-playing? Nope! It was always an exercise in adaptation rather than becoming more literate.
3. Do you have any personal thoughts and feelings linked with role-playing? For example: do you find it relaxing or do you like being able to create and become a character that is entirely your own? Now, I tend to find it both fascinating and stressful. Fascinating in that I have had epic in-character rap battles with other people. Stressful in that I am coming up with these things quickly.

Fan-fictions

1. Why do you write/read fan-fiction? Because I like seeing novel interpretations of characters in things I love. I largely read things that are character-heavy, or in alternate universes, so that it's about seeing things in new contexts.

I write fan-fiction from the same drive to explore characters.
2. Do you incorporate your own character into an otherwise original cast? If so, why? Nope! I generally write fanfiction of things with large casts, and incorporating my own characters in major roles would defeat the purpose.
3. Do you believe that you have become more literate by writing fan-fiction? No. By reading it, yes, as I've read incredibly well-done fanfiction and the fact that it's derivative means that I can admire the writing apart from the creation of the characters and world.

Original work

1. What are your thoughts and feelings towards posting original work online? I enjoy it. A couple of my favourite writers, Jesse Hajicek and Cory Doctorow, post most of their writing available free online. I also have an ereader and a ipod with iBooks on it, so there's no particular divide for me between posted online and published.
2. Have you ever received constructive criticism that has helped you become a better writer? Yes, definitely.

Etc.

1. How often do you read books? Daily.
2. Do you believe that there is a wider range of texts to read online rather than on paper? Yes.
3. Are you more comfortable with receiving and giving criticism online or in person? I like both, though when I go to in-person critique groups I like to receive typed versions of the critique as well so that I can reread it later.

Darling

8,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Role-playing

1. I don't anymore, but I did it quite frequently with my best friend in middle school. I've never done any type of online role-playing though.
2. In some ways, yes. My friend was a big stickler for grammar and spelling, so she constantly scolded me for misspellings and grammatical errors. It also taught me how to come up with plots on the spot and make things work that I otherwise would have put off forever trying to solve.
3. When I was younger it was something fun to do with friends, a good way to pass the class hours, and a great way to practice my writing skills. Looking back on some of it now, it was absolutely terrible, but I'm still glad of it. Now I've turned into what some would call an "elitest" I suppose. I can't stand role-playing, mainly because I have no control over the characters and how I'd want the plot to go. I mostly stick to my own stories now.

Fan-fictions

1. I write it because it's a good exercise for writing and coming up with plots. I also like it as a writing exercise since I can focus more on my weak points in writing (plot and character development) as the more mundane stuff such as character appearance/name/personality/relationships are already given. I read it as a fun thing, as there are really good fanfictions out there that deserve the recognition they get. I also have a habit of reading bad fanfiction, both because I find it hilarious and it's a good way to know what doesn't work with particular stories.
2. It depends on the story plot that I'm working with. I've had stories where it was only the original characters being used, as it was the only characters required, and I've had others which required practically a whole other cast to fill in spots I had created to go along with the new plot.
3. Most definitely. With constant practice writing them and the genuinely helpful feedback I get from both my editor and reviewers, I know what my strong points in writing are and what my weak points are. They say that to improve your craft you just have to keep writing, and I have found that it is completely true. There are some of my works where you can actually tell which chapters have been written recently (ignoring the update date, of course) as they're much better quality than some earlier chapters.

Original work

1. Like fanfiction, which at times I consider as original work (in which the characters become more your own due to AUs and the like) I find that it's helpful to post online. I've never had the worry about someone stealing my work, and I've found that with posting work online people are both more helpful and blunt, two things that definitely help if you wish to improve.
2. I have, and I'll always be grateful for it. I think it's a good thing to receive criticism, as it opens your eyes to flaws and mistakes that you might have generally missed before due to your story being your "precious baby". I find the Internet makes you lose that notion fast, and nothing is better for a writer than a thick skin.

Etc.

1. Not as often as I use to when I was younger, but I've taken to re-reading some of my favorite classics. Lately, since I'll be moving within the year, I've been trying to buy all the books I've wanted in the past two years or so. Everytime I get them, I try to finish them within the week.
2. Definitely, but nothing compares to the feel of a book in your hands and turning the pages. I was given a Nook for Christmas two years ago, and I haven't even touched the thing. I tried reading a book on it once and I just couldn't get into it.
3. I think there's a good side to both. While I like receiving it in person to know the person's intent behind their words and get a sincere review, I also like the ability of (in the case of the advice getting you angry or upset) being able to walk away for a few moments to collect yourself. I think that there's good and bad point to both.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff