Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cursing:

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 6, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Hello once again, "fellow Gaians".

This time, the topic be "swearing":

- Does it create more emphesis, and put greater expression behind otherwise seemingly feeble words, or does it simply taint the language, creating an imperishable 'tag' of immaturity.

In all too many ways, swearing has become part of life. Whether you're for it, or against it, one cannot deny the fact that it has crept into our writing.

(For example smile

Shut the ******** up! (Demanding/ authoritive, 'forbidden')

or

Please stop talking. (Polite/ avoiding hypocrisy/ acceptable)

or

Shut your mouth. (abrupt/ avoiding hypocrisy/ "middle-ground" wink .

Which is your preferred method?
There's no real answer to this. It completely depends on the story/character.
In real life I use these words sometimes, if I am frustrated. In my characters, though, I tend to look for better words. Swear words tend to be looked upon as a word you use simply because you can not find a better one. which in some cases is true. My suggestion, try to use them as little as possible.
Jibby-bi
There's no real answer to this. It completely depends on the story/character.

The context can't ONLY be specified so: It exists outside of 'stories'.
None of your poll options match my opinion.

Like Jibby-bi said, it really just depends on the story's tone and a character's personality.

Censorship is more interesting.

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
I rarely use modern curse words when writing, though I have a few characters who "curse" by the standards of their culture.
I'm a bit torn:

Swearing is humorous, if not immature, but I don't think I'd put it in a story unless the character demanded it. I try not to swear in excess, but I don't mind flinging a curse or two at subjectively perceived ignorance.

Sometimes too subjectively, but meh.
My poll is screwed up. Just ignore it, I suppose.
I prefer to forego the use of such language in my dialogues and come up with more docile alternatives that could be adaptive to the culture I've set the story in.
Guenivere
I prefer to forego the use of such language in my dialogues and come up with more docile alternatives that could be adaptive to the culture I've set the story in.

Of course.
I find it... often useless to swear... but the only thing more immature, more agrivating, and more spiteful, is boldly declaring that an intelligenct person is suddenly "stupid", because he/she cursed.
Zacharra
I find it... often useless to swear... but the only thing more immature, more agrivating, and more spiteful, is boldly declaring that an intelligenct person is suddenly "stupid", because he/she cursed.

I don't swear much in real life, but I use it when it feels right for the character and setting. Sometimes using a more "acceptable" alternative feels forced. I always try to go on instinct.
For me it all depends on the character, if they are the type that does swear alot then they swear alot but if not then no. It's like Nerienea said its best to just go by instinct.
Like others said, it depends on the character and the situation. I think it can have a strong effect if, for example, a character who never swears gets really upset and swears.
In real life I have no aversion to using strong language if the situation calls for it. I mean, if a boss in a game is annoying me, then I'll swear bloody murder at them ("Damn you biatch, just ******** die already!" wink . But I don't really swear for the hell of it, because then it sounds stupid and loses whatever impact it might have had. When I swear a lot it's usually because there's a reason for it, or I use nonsensical swear words. Everything from 'bloody hell' and 'goddamnit', to 'fudge', 'crapulence' and even 'crud monkeys'.

As for characters, it depends on their personality, but as others have said I go on instinct and try to create swear words that fit the context. If my world has no notion of a hell or god, then I'm not going to have them say "goddamn you to hell". Instead they'd say "[insert deiety] curse you" or something like that...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff