Welcome to Gaia! ::

Use Bob or Jimbo for all the males, and Bobella and Jimbella for all the females.
Sorith
Ok I need some help...The story takes place in three different times. Somewhere in the 1500's, 2004, and 2236. I have the names for all save one character. She is one in the Midievil time and is a person who LOVES any type of acohal. Drinking is one of her best skills and it is only matched by the skill with a sword.

-Raele (ray lee)
-Adel
-Ahaeb (ah hayb)
-Yelhsa (yel sa)
-Iyela (ee el a)
-Shiron
-Keara [or Kira]
Hmm if its alright I'd like to take full advantage of this help.

lets see... I have the names of my three main characters already in place (well one is pending but we'll see about him) in anycase I'm kinda stuck for a name for my main villain. Well to describe him...number one he's old like in his late 50's A person who's extremely knowledgable and kinda gives off this "I know all sort of feel" a kind of person that has experineced alot the world and fate has thrown in his face, however he's also extremely obsessive and dispite his knowledge very narrow minded, he honestly believes He'll do the world good by unleashing something that ought not to be realeased and yet at the same time doesn't relise he's being manipulated into do so. As far as his physical appareance goes, his face is stiff but wrinkled from stress, suffering, anger, and all those sorts of emotions. Though he's old he's very built and has a very powerful stature that kinda makes him towering in the sense and his face is clean shaven as well (though I don't know why that's important but...oh well)
I regret to inform you(Or most of you) that usually it depends on the race, or clan, given that the story is anywhere near fantasy. Their personality should have nothing to do with their names otherwise it sounds too predictable.

ie- Use the name Bella, put her in a short skirt and give her blonde hair. This is what all of your readers expected. However, give Bella to a butch type of woman with muscles and brown hair that can chop off a persons head with only the side of her hand... Now that would be an interesting twist.

For a drunkard, use any name. Use any nickname. It doesn't matter. But their race... Now that should say something. Would you have an orc with the name "Cassy"? Or an elf with the name "Bagruhm?" Probably not, but then one can only hope.

A name can often be used from a clan as well. If they are in a spacific clan, of course you are going to try to fit in that name with the clan. You might not have "Filly, Killy, Bill, and Lilly" but you might just have "Lorel, Liel, Gardenia, Rosemary" just for the whole garden-flower-plant effect, if that's what the clan is based on.

Now don't take my word for it, authors screw up names all the time, make it predictable, or just simply silly enough to be stupid. Whatever floats your boat.
hmm you have a point...oh well at least something loffty? It doesn't nessicalry have to have meaning just something that sounds important and by the way just so to help you out, this guy is human and maybe something European would help *shrugs*
What would you think a character called Kaye would be like? Do you think she'd be important?

I want names that people associated with appropriate things.
Blueflowmaster9
hmm you have a point...oh well at least something loffty? It doesn't nessicalry have to have meaning just something that sounds important and by the way just so to help you out, this guy is human and maybe something European would help *shrugs*

Depending on the time period that the story takes place, different names will be used. For example, you won't use "Alexandra" in a 15th century story, and you won't use "Sirumgran" nowadays. (But futuristic could use it) I suppose it is also how the name sounds.

For a human, you could probably use virtually any name, since humans (in fantasy books) are -usually- nuetral, and fit enough to use any of magic to the greatest of b*****d swords, they aren't locked to one major class or skill like some races, so they aren't locked to one spacific clan, or one spacific family name, or name. (Sorry if this gets to become rambling, I'm only dishing out the information that I know about, but fantasy can be anything, so don't always follow what I say.)

Decebal(Meaning unknown)
Dragomir(Meaning "pecious and peacful" wink
Felix(Meaning "fun or succesful" wink
Martin(Some form of Mars, the god.)
Pompiliu(Meaning pompilius, which is an unknown meaning)
Sorin (Possible meaning of sun)

Hope any of those help.
China_Doll
What would you think a character called Kaye would be like? Do you think she'd be important?

I'm not sure what Kaye would be like, which is a good thing for me. I don't want to learn everything about a person just from their name. Kaye could possible be the filler person who dies in the middle of the story, or a very important person who doesn't die, and simply holds to their life becuase of how important they really are.

I love using transgender names becuase it makes the reader wonder what they are really like. If you just use a name, and not tell "he" or "she" and want to keep this a surprise, this is a good way to go. Using names like Gray, or Gothic, Sindrum, Idol, Silver, December, etc etc.

Names that associate with "appropriate" things might be ones that have spacific meaning. Like synonyms for important in different languages. whee
LudicrouslyMad
China_Doll

I'm not sure what Kaye would be like, which is a good thing for me. I don't want to learn everything about a person just from their name. Kaye could possible be the filler person who dies in the middle of the story, or a very important person who doesn't die, and simply holds to their life becuase of how important they really are.

I love using transgender names becuase it makes the reader wonder what they are really like. If you just use a name, and not tell "he" or "she" and want to keep this a surprise, this is a good way to go. Using names like Gray, or Gothic, Sindrum, Idol, Silver, December, etc etc.

Names that associate with "appropriate" things might be ones that have spacific meaning. Like synonyms for important in different languages. whee

That's okay then. I hope more people will say what they think.

I what sort of person stereotypically has the name. Like if I called someone 'Albert' we instantly get an image of someone rich, well educated and snooty! I don't want to call someone who lives in a shack 'Albert', because the name will be inappropriate.
China_Doll
LudicrouslyMad
China_Doll

That's okay then. I hope more people will say what they think.

I what sort of person stereotypically has the name. Like if I called someone 'Albert' we instantly get an image of someone rich, well educated and snooty! I don't want to call someone who lives in a shack 'Albert', because the name will be inappropriate.

Inappropriate should have nothing to do with it, unless your dealing with race, clan, or family name. Albert can be the old guy that lives under the bridge, or he can be the pimp on the street corner. Inappropriate is sometimes even fun, you can add twists to the story that way. Bella could be a spy in disquise as a hooker, yet she's some huge butch with knives strapped to her legs. Twists are good for a story. Albert is a very nuetral name for men, rich, poor, well living, or even dead. Use that name how you want.

Edit: If you want Stereotypical, you can use Clyde(Which is often a rich name) or Alfonzo(Which is an utterly stupid name, yet somewhat snooty.)
I didn't want to be stereotypical, I just wanted the reader to get the right sort of picture in their mind so it isn't a huge contrast. 3nodding
LudicrouslyMad
Blueflowmaster9

Depending on the time period that the story takes place, different names will be used. For example, you won't use "Alexandra" in a 15th century story, and you won't use "Sirumgran" nowadays. (But futuristic could use it) I suppose it is also how the name sounds.

For a human, you could probably use virtually any name, since humans (in fantasy books) are -usually- nuetral, and fit enough to use any of magic to the greatest of b*****d swords, they aren't locked to one major class or skill like some races, so they aren't locked to one spacific clan, or one spacific family name, or name. (Sorry if this gets to become rambling, I'm only dishing out the information that I know about, but fantasy can be anything, so don't always follow what I say.)

Decebal(Meaning unknown)
Dragomir(Meaning "pecious and peacful" wink
Felix(Meaning "fun or succesful" wink
Martin(Some form of Mars, the god.)
Pompiliu(Meaning pompilius, which is an unknown meaning)
Sorin (Possible meaning of sun)

Hope any of those help.

Martin sounds like a good one, thanks for the help I'll probably be back here later for a couple more characters.
LudicrouslyMad
I regret to inform you(Or most of you) that usually it depends on the race, or clan, given that the story is anywhere near fantasy. Their personality should have nothing to do with their names otherwise it sounds too predictable.

ie- Use the name Bella, put her in a short skirt and give her blonde hair. This is what all of your readers expected. However, give Bella to a butch type of woman with muscles and brown hair that can chop off a persons head with only the side of her hand... Now that would be an interesting twist.

For a drunkard, use any name. Use any nickname. It doesn't matter. But their race... Now that should say something. Would you have an orc with the name "Cassy"? Or an elf with the name "Bagruhm?" Probably not, but then one can only hope.

A name can often be used from a clan as well. If they are in a spacific clan, of course you are going to try to fit in that name with the clan. You might not have "Filly, Killy, Bill, and Lilly" but you might just have "Lorel, Liel, Gardenia, Rosemary" just for the whole garden-flower-plant effect, if that's what the clan is based on.

Now don't take my word for it, authors screw up names all the time, make it predictable, or just simply silly enough to be stupid. Whatever floats your boat.

Okay, first off, I didn't say it was based on the character's personality. I said to give me a brief description (age, background, location, etc...). And second of all, not everybody writes about fantasy and uses "clans" to group characters. A name has to fit, its going to be with the character for a while. A character has to be like a person you could meet in real life, and you have to comfortable with a name, like an article of clothigng. While this analogy is as shitty as they get, its the best I could come up with.
Quote:
LudicrouslyMad

Okay, first off, I didn't say it was based on the character's personality. I said to give me a brief description (age, background, location, etc...). And second of all, not everybody writes about fantasy and uses "clans" to group characters. A name has to fit, its going to be with the character for a while. A character has to be like a person you could meet in real life, and you have to comfortable with a name, like an article of clothigng. While this analogy is as shitty as they get, its the best I could come up with.

Which is why I said "if the story is anywhere near fantasy", buddy.
Brief description usually consists of -appearance- and -personality- if they don't have a name. But if you always give them a name that fits exactly with their character, it may get too pradictable.
Quote:
Quote:
LudicrouslyMad

Which is why I said "if the story is anywhere near fantasy", buddy.
Brief description usually consists of -appearance- and -personality- if they don't have a name. But if you always give them a name that fits exactly with their character, it may get too pradictable.

How the hell can a name of a character make a story predictable?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff