Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,750 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Member 100
  • Profitable 100
I'm struggling to commit to my original idea of setting my novel in an era where steam power, hydro power and solar/renewable energy is the main resource, with a heavy emphasis and focus on magic. I may just be my own worst critic, but is this approach too generic, perhaps?
Sorry, a bit of a silly question. sweatdrop
It's generic, because it's one line you're using to sum up an entire time and era. All you told us is how they power their world. We can infer quite a bit, but reality in your idea may be different.

It's a start. Keep developing the story and adjust everything as you feel it needs to be. There's nothing you can't fix with editing.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Yes, but that's what comes from being vague. All you mentioned are sources of energy, not how they affect the planet.

Where do places without intensive solar radiation or rivers or ocean get their energy? Steam? That implies anyone not in a warm, coastal, or near a convenient river suffers greatly, as steam power comes mainly from coal and charcoal (deforestation). This is one reason why stories with steam power had social commentary on class warfare: the rich benefited from the luxury of steam power, while the poor suffered heat, tiny rooms, dangerous machines, and every halth problem that comes from burning and mining coal.

This is why I can't get into much steampunk beyond the Jules Vernes stuff (not even sure if he counts, given the time period). Everyone writes about airships, monocles, capes, and pretty pseudo Victorian corsets where elitism is cute and the poor who keep things functioning don't exist.

When you have ANYTHING that defines a world, there is always a good and bad to it.

Shameless Vampire

7,650 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friendly 100
E v e r y t h i n g I've done, I've done for y o u
I { м ℴ v ǝ } the stars for no one
◆ ◇ ◈ ◆ ◇ ◈

It's a good idea, but people are right, it's a little generic.
But if that's what you need to start out your story, then start it off generic. Flesh it out as you write it. Every idea starts out not great. It's giving it love and attention that ends up making it something that's not generic or cliche. I say run with it and flesh it out and make it your own.

◆ ◇ ◈ ◆ ◇ ◈
Your {eyes} can be so cruel
Just as I can be so
[ c я u ǝ l ]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items