Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've never written anything in my life other than research papers and the occasional depressed/heartbroken awful teenage angst "poetry" but I have had a story running about my head maze for the last 4 years and I can't seem to draw the plot bunnies away (Which is what I usually do). So I'm going to try and write this story, but I honestly have no idea where to begin...HELP!
If you can't outline it, just start writing. It doesn't matter where. What's the first event you think has to happen? It doesn't matter if its the first thing the reader needs to read or not. Just start there. Once you get going, it should get easier. Break that ice. Write it. Enjoy it. Fix it later.
You have no idea how to begin as in storyline wise? Or writing wise?

If it's writing, always try to start off with an interesting scene when it comes to the beginning of a novel. You never want to dilly-dally around since readers will most likely loose interest within the first few pages. It doesn't necessarily mean get straight into the action and sabotage your own pacing--just make your prose interesting, and it'll suffice.

If you're stuck further before diving into the story, try making an outline. That tends to help a few folks. Any way that works for you is really only the solid advice to give--it's a matter of experimentation especially since it's your first time really trying to write a whole novel and develop a voice. Some people can begin writing, some others need to make an outline beforehand. Perhaps try listing out the major events you have so far and the character's relations to them in chronological order; then you can go further and see if you can expand the timeline, beef up areas, fill in the negative zones and what not.

If you're confused about where to start in your storyline, well I'm afraid I can't help with that. I think moments like these are most crucial for new writers in the development phase, and while it's good to seek advice on how to steer your story, try not to always rely on it all the time--it's good to exercise your imagination without the aid of others sometimes. Sometimes. But now, the help is probably good. I'm sure you'll be able to gather a few good points or interesting tidbits to include from others who might post soon, but just to work on something ahead: maybe you could perhaps give us a little more insight about your story, so that if you are asking about what to incorporate, you won't have to waste time later explaining it later.

Trundlebug's Wife

Tiny Fatcat

Gixie9108

Begin by telling me what I need to know about a situation between two characters, but do it using a scene. Remember, even though I don't know a damn thing doesn't mean I'm stupid. Don't explain every little detail. Structure the world in your head and your characters by their actions, and the ramifications of their actions.

That will break the ice beautifully.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces