Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am writing up the storyline for my comic. And i wanted to call a holiday whatever the word "grey" or "shades of grey" was in japanese. Could anyone tell me the translations? It would be much appreciated.

If you are intrigued by this and you wish to read the comic when i've gotten it started PM me so i can tell you... 4laugh
JapaneseVinyl
I am writing up the storyline for my comic. And i wanted to call a holiday whatever the word "grey" or "shades of grey" was in japanese. Could anyone tell me the translations? It would be much appreciated.

If you are intrigued by this and you wish to read the comic when i've gotten it started PM me so i can tell you... 4laugh

If you don't know Japanese enough to know that word or to have the resources to find out that word, then you shouldn't be using Japanese in your comic.
I don't see why not.
JapaneseVinyl
I don't see why not.

Nihongo wo wakaranaide, hanasu? Anta wa tensai deshou.

To not understand Japanese, and then to speak it? You must be a genious.

Basically, most people who want to use Japanese do so only for the sake of using Japanese because it's OH SO COOL, while they delude themselves by saying "Oh, but I like the culture and learning about it and..." while they actually know very little about the culture besides the fun touristy stuff. I'll admit that there are a few who are genuinely interested in the culture on a sociological level or the language on a linguistics level, as the uncommon syntax provides quite the challenge, but they are few and far between, especially on Gaia.

Besides, if you "wanted" it, and don't "want" it, why are you asking us?
"Grey" is "haiiro", for "ash-coloured". Or "nezumiiro", if you want "mouse-coloured".

That should be a good enough start.
The Lisa Faerie
JapaneseVinyl
I don't see why not.

Nihongo wo wakaranaide, hanasu? Anta wa tensai deshou.

To not understand Japanese, and then to speak it? You must be a genious.

Basically, most people who want to use Japanese do so only for the sake of using Japanese because it's OH SO COOL, while they delude themselves by saying "Oh, but I like the culture and learning about it and..." while they actually know very little about the culture besides the fun touristy stuff. I'll admit that there are a few who are genuinely interested in the culture on a sociological level or the language on a linguistics level, as the uncommon syntax provides quite the challenge, but they are few and far between, especially on Gaia.

Besides, if you "wanted" it, and don't "want" it, why are you asking us?

I'm not one of those people who do such things just becasue they think its cool. Actually, i am part Japanese. I am going to take a class on asian culture in college. Also a class to learn japanese. I never learned japanese because my mom (who i got being japanese from) never learned japanese. One of those who lost touch with their origins etc... I dont know the language! So im sorry if its too much trouble to find out a few words. But the words would relate to the story more. Because "grey" or "shades of grey" would be the name of a holiday in my comic. I'm not trying to instantly speak it.
Yuzure
"Grey" is "haiiro", for "ash-coloured". Or "nezumiiro", if you want "mouse-coloured".

That should be a good enough start.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it. 3nodding
Never use foreign words in an English comic. It's just one of the rules of hand.
Zoni
Never use foreign words in an English comic. It's just one of the rules of hand.
I think that might be a good rule... It would saveme some trouble. And i wouldn't be getting flamed by uptight people stare
Zoni

Unless you have, like, a Japanese exchange student or something, mixing languages is generally frowned upon in the comic/writing thingamabob.

It's not that you want to that bothers me so much as you don't see why not to. It's annoying for readers who are not familiar with the language, usually unprofessional, and is generally just plain annoying.
JapaneseVinyl
Zoni
I think that might be a good rule... It would saveme some trouble. And i wouldn't be getting flamed by uptight people stare

It's just that this happens ALL THE TIME that makes me cranky. That and Japanese names.
The Lisa Faerie
JapaneseVinyl
Zoni

It's just that this happens ALL THE TIME that makes me cranky. That and Japanese names.

Yeah i guess i see what you are trying to say now. sweatdrop I think japanese names are fine if the setting is in Japan or if the character is Japanese. Heh, my real name is Sashiko. And from what i have learned it is a Japanese art of embroidery. Some people don't believe its my real name.

Try not to get cranky and show them their error of their ways. n_n; Calmy... lol
The Lisa Faerie
Zoni

Unless you have, like, a Japanese exchange student or something, mixing languages is generally frowned upon in the comic/writing thingamabob.

It's not that you want to that bothers me so much as you don't see why not to. It's annoying for readers who are not familiar with the language, usually unprofessional, and is generally just plain annoying.

And even wih an exchange student, they wouldn't say in Japanese the words writers generally make them say. What are the first things you learn when learning a new language? Yes, no, hello, good-bye...
Haimati
What are the first things you learn when learning a new language? Yes, no, hello, good-bye...

... toilet, lost, please, all the swearwords...
Yuzure
Haimati
What are the first things you learn when learning a new language? Yes, no, hello, good-bye...

... toilet, lost, please, all the swearwords...

That's what the Japanese exchange students who came to our school immediately taught us. xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff