Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Phantom

7,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
marshmallowcreampie
No matter what you write, someone, somewhere is going to find a way to get offended. Unless Christians are a major target audience for this story, maybe don't fret over it too much.

Okay. I just have quite a few Jewish/Catholic/Christian friends who will probably see this at one point, and a lot of Americans are Abrahamic.

Dapper Noob

I don't know why it should offend anyone if you are not bashing or messing with any specific religions. If you are just using a generic "god," as a Christian, it doesn't make me mad. There are a lot of books in the world that portray different sorts of demons, gods and magic. It sounds like an interesting idea to create a world where they all coexist. O:

Friendly Phantom

7,625 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
TakoyakiSoup
I don't know why it should offend anyone if you are not bashing or messing with any specific religions. If you are just using a generic "god," as a Christian, it doesn't make me mad. There are a lot of books in the world that portray different sorts of demons, gods and magic. It sounds like an interesting idea to create a world where they all coexist. O:

biggrin Thanks! But it is actually using Christianity. I'm actually working on the cover right now.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Lunican
I_Write_Ivre
Lunican
Fireweed_honey
Lunican

biggrin Thanks, but God isn't a main character. The main characters are a demon, a kitsune, a champion of Athena, her golem, two humans, and a witch.

Soooo, looks like you're going to piss off Christians, the Japanese, Greeks, Jews (the golem) and Wiccans. Huzzah!

xd Lol. I actually researched them though, so I'm keeping it as true to the original belief as possible.

I've seen mixing religions done well and done poorly. Research is the main key to this, though good writing also goes a long way.

I actually like the idea when done well, as religions tend to have a philosophy beyond the figures. Just don't say all religions are the same with different names and (if you've researched this you probably already know this) not every religion has an ultimate evil.

Again, I'd say stay consistent, both sect and time period.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter!

Looks like this is getting nor replies than I expected. I guess to anyone else who reads this, is there any Abrahamic sigil to seal evil? The main plot is them trying to stop Armageddon, and I'm planning to have God give the demon character this in the beginning, as if she/he just trained the forces of good more, then it's essentially problem solved, no actual story for their universe to exist in, as they're all fictional. Since God breaks the fourth wall occasionally, this is her/his worst possible outcome.

I can't say I have a problem with God breaking the fourth wall, as many beliefs say He's omniscient.

I don't know of any Abrhamic seals as early canon mentions only Satan or Satanel, who does work for God.

Mentions of the devil are mostly, if not entirely, from non-canon sopcources or the new testament.

Shameless Lunatic

I guess I could throw my two cents in here (is a Christian xD)

It would piss people off, but only because you can't really do anything without pissing people off. That's just how the world works, especially when you're working with something like religion. Personally, I wouldn't get pissed off. Not because I'm particularly 'open minded' or anything; just...I don't know. I would read something like that for entertainment value.

There is an instance in....oh flip I can't remember the book....Ezekiel! It's in there. They're called the Nephilim in some circles; honestly it's like a passing verse and there's so much speculation that it's open to wide interpretation. Some people, especially writers, would go for the more fantastical approach saying that they're songs of angels and human women (the issue is with the original Hebrew; it doesn't always mean the same thing that we think it means in English). Another interpretation is that they're descendants of Seth (Adam and Eve's third son). No mention of demons, but I guess if you wanted to you could draw from there.

I guess the issue is that this is something so outside of Christianity that it really doesn't fall into the canon at all. Basically you'd be making up your own mythology drawn from Christianity, so the rules of Christianity don't really work, if that makes sense. People have done it heaps (the Shadowhunters series is a prime example of that). If you want to use the Christian God specifically that opens a whole can of worms that would be too difficult to answer in a story like this (ie: God says there are no other gods. You've removed everything from your story already xD ) It has been done before, of course; you just have to do it well and smartly. How, I don't know. Try Orson Scott Card's Mithermage series. He does a similar thing but focuses in on the Norse gods. Most people just kind of...ignore God.

As far as I know there is no 'seal' for evil; not in the Old Testament that I know of, at least. Not in the NT either; basically it's the name of Jesus so...yeah. I guess that's as close as you would get to that.

I hope that helps; I think you would be safer almost creating a mythology from Christianity, which many writers have done in the past, than trying to grapple with it as it is. As for the last point; God forgives anyone that turns towards Him so...I guess He would forgive them? I would say if they have a 'soul' (I use that term loosely; not like 'sell your soul' kind of thing but like...a spiritual identity...even that's not the right word for it....hard to explain), then He'd forgive them.

The issue with the current demons (and Satan) is that their choice has already been made, not that they can't come back.

Hope that doesn't make things more confusing!
Lunican
I'll be writing a story/webcomic where all beliefs, stories, myths, etc. are real and present in a world masked by our own. One of the main characters is a son of Lucifer, who rejects Satan and uses holy magic. Obviously from this plot line, I'm not Christian.

I've researched catholic demonology, to try to make it accurate.

I kinda need to know if:

-This would piss off Catholics, Christians, Jewish people, etc.
-Demons can procreate with one another,
-How the physiology of said offspring would be,
-If God can 'forgive' these sort of demons born into a world they reject.

If someone could help, that'd be great. Thanks for reading this!

I was once a Christian and I'll tell you that not much is known about Demons at all.

Demons are spiritual creatures that interact with the physical world by controlling people as seen in the bible, or even putting us in those positions where it's just bad timing and we become tempted into following our desires. Demons can also be associated with non-living things such as money and how it controls peoples lives.

From what I learned, God forgives these demons, but doesn't offer them second chances. Bascially, they're screwed since they tried to revolt and overthrow God.

Also, if Demons were to be able to fornicate with physical beings such as humans, you'd probably have quite an odd take on it if you were to take the Christian perspective. Since Demons of the Christian faith don't harm people directly, it may become a bit tricky. But then again, a hybrid offspring might prove to overcome the boundary. In my opinion, any sort of offspring from fornication with a demon is up for grabs for any ideas/creativity.
Lunican

-This would piss off Catholics, Christians, Jewish people, etc.

Those aren't hard people to piss off, and you shouldn't care. That being said you shouldn't try to piss anybody off or purposely disrespect anybody's religion.

Quote:
-Demons can procreate with one another,

that's your job to decide

Quote:
-How the physiology of said offspring would be,

your job

Quote:
-If God can 'forgive' these sort of demons born into a world they reject.

Your. Job.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
If you look in any book (or site with credible citations), you'l find that the definition of a demon will vary considerably, even in one religion.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
I am The Compendium
If you look in any book (or site with credible citations), you'l find that the definition of a demon will vary considerably, even in one religion.

and Angels too! incidentally, this is what makes these beings so fascinating and why there is so much literature about them outside the Bible that was later accepted by the majority of believers as doctrine.

Dedicated Bibliophile

10,000 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
As a Christian, trust me, it has all been done before. Chances are you would only be pissing off people who's threshold is so low you would piss them off anyway. So don't worry about it.

Second, Genesis 6 gives some the understanding that humans and angels (the bənê hāʼĕlōhîm, or "sons of God," ) interbreeding. That is not a universally held belief, but has been used often. The Sandman Slim books use this, to use a current fantasy line. Personally, I would stay away from "the son of Satan," as it is pretty played out. There are plenty of other fallen angels that may make for a more interesting backstory. But that is up to you, of course.

As for signs against evil and the like, you won't find them in the Bible itself, but there are plenty that have been designed as such in both Kaballic and Western occultism. Google is your friend.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Ignoring ALL biblical stuff for a moment, Harry Potter still offends some Christians for promoting witchcraft despite a) it's wizards, not witchcraft, b) it's children's fiction, and c) has nothing to do with anything religious whatsoever.

Unless it's intentional, don't worry about offending anyone (other than jerks who deserve it).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff