Welcome to Gaia! ::

Well if it were my story I would have it to we're the tamer has to prove him self to the monster by strength, wits, or even maybe an actual battle between the tamer and monster to show that the tamer is worthy of its strength and to make it interresting you have to we're a monster falls in love with the tamer

I mean that's just an idea

Hilarious Browser

rikutefox
because i got A and B i just can't figure out how to transfer it to the next scene if you get what im saying sweatdrop

Could you be a bit more specific? Maybe I can help, I read alot of manga biggrin (well truthfully I'm just curious about what A and B are, but if I know a bit more I might even be able to help, hopefully.)
0green-eyes0
rikutefox
because i got A and B i just can't figure out how to transfer it to the next scene if you get what im saying sweatdrop

Could you be a bit more specific? Maybe I can help, I read alot of manga biggrin (well truthfully I'm just curious about what A and B are, but if I know a bit more I might even be able to help, hopefully.)

Well I guess what I'm trying to say is like how can I change scenes without messing with the story bc I just get confused with it. And that's what I meant by AandB

Hilarious Browser

rikutefox
Well I guess what I'm trying to say is like how can I change scenes without messing with the story bc I just get confused with it. And that's what I meant by AandB

I think the best thing you can do is find a manga that you have read, whose panels flowed smoothly, (where you didn't get confused during the transitions from one drawing to another) and pay very close attention to how that is achieved. If looking at that manga does not help you, examine another one.

I took a creative writing course once, and an interesting thing that was said was that it was important to
'think like a writer' while you read,
in order to figure out new ways of doing things with your own writing. So just try transferring that idea over into manga.

Good luck smile

(and if that doesn't help, you could always do a google search, there are probably plenty of lists of tips for this out there)

Ah, but I could probably think of some tips if you want them, though it'd take awhile, cause I'd have to figure them out first

EDIT: (I made these up. Probably not helpful since I am only a reader and not a creator, but I figured no harm in adding them.)
tip 1 - Always make sure the readers know >where< things are happening. Show them where, don't just say it in the dialogue.

tip 2 - Imagine that the manga you are creating is actually animated or a movie.
Imagine you are putting the movie of your story into manga form. What moments in time do you choose to show of the movie so that the audience knows whats going on? And, how do you do this in the least amount of pictures?
0green-eyes0
rikutefox

I think the best thing you can do is find a manga that you have read, whose panels flowed smoothly, (where you didn't get confused during the transitions from one drawing to another) and pay very close attention to how that is achieved. If looking at that manga does not help you, examine another one.

I took a creative writing course once, and an interesting thing that was said was that it was important to
'think like a writer' while you read,
in order to figure out new ways of doing things with your own writing. So just try transferring that idea over into manga.

Good luck smile

(and if that doesn't help, you could always do a google search, there are probably plenty of lists of tips for this out there)

Ah, but I could probably think of some tips if you want them, though it'd take awhile, cause I'd have to figure them out first

EDIT: (I made these up. Probably not helpful since I am only a reader and not a creator, but I figured no harm in adding them.)
tip 1 - Always make sure the readers know >where< things are happening. Show them where, don't just say it in the dialogue.
xp
tip 2 - Imagine that the manga you are creating is actually animated or a movie.
Imagine you are putting the movie of your story into manga form. What moments in time do you choose to show of the movie so that the audience knows whats going on? And, how do you do this in the least amount of pictures?
thanks I think that will really me smile now just to apply pirate

Dapper Explorer

8,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Faliry
1. (Mechanical Magic): it enables its user to do all sorts of things you usually can do with your hands or tools (move, throw, cut, punch holes, sew, slice, assemble, etc) with a simple spell.
These could be aspects of Transmutation or if they're not actually change the object but using a force like you would use a saw, then it could be some form of telekinetics (or maybe just kinetics).
Faliry
2. (Elemental Magic): its user can produce and control fire, water, ice, lighting, etc. (kind of like RPGs' black magic)
You could refer to it as Evocation, each one could be it's own school, or you could remove it entirely and refer to it as results of other magics. For example with using telekinetics you could vibrate molecules causing the air to burst into flames.
Faliry
3. (Medical Magic or Physical Magic): just like white magic, its user can heal wounds, relieve pain, heal some magical conditions and give some buffs, like increased agility, strength, stamina, etc.
This could also be aspects of Transmutation. It could also be Enchantment, especially if they're giving people properties they don't normally have. There is also Necromancy, at least with the more modern definition, which reworks flesh (usually dead flesh).
Faliry
4. (Physical Magic or Martial Magic): kind of like monks, this kind of magic allows its user to control a magical energy inside their body to increase its strength, reflexes, endurance and such and even heal their own health (it can't be cast in someone else though).
Definitely Enchantment, abet self inflicted.
Faliry
5. (Psychic Magic or Mental Magic): enable its user to inject emotions, feelings and thoughts in another person, subjugate others will and things like that.
Clairvoyance would allow to see into the minds of others, half way across the world, or hours/days/years into the future (or past). Illusion could cause people to see and hear what is not there or even be able to touch it if it's strong enough. It could also be used to put thoughts into another's mind.
Faliry
6. (Natural Magic): a little like blue magic, its user is able to control plants, animals and monsters.
Shamanism if you're not so much controlling as persuading the plants and animals to do tasks for you. If you're truly controlling the animals this could be a form of illusion.
Faliry
7. (Alchemy or Brewlogy): enable its user to imbue magic while merging ingredients to create all kinds of potions and bombs.
Alchemy is alchemy. It can be aided by other types of magic like transmutation but it's still alchemy.
Faliry
8. (Transmogrification): magic that makes possible to change attributes (color, size, shape, texture, etc) of things and even beings.
Transmutation. This is exactly what transmutation is about.
Faliry
9. (Tinkerism): not exactly a magic, but it's like a science that does not obey real science laws, but needs a lot of study, calculus and applied concepts to create machines powered by crystals previously imbued with magick by a mage.
This could be considered an aspect of alchemy. You could also just call it Science, after all if your world support the use of magic then that means magic is apart of the laws of physics and that this type of technology doesn't actually violate the laws of physics but rather utilizes them. Unless it turns out that magic is just energy leaking in from another reality into this reality then you could call it something like Demechanics (demon or dimensional mechanics).

You might want to look up Hermetics, Chaos Magic, and Formulaic Magic (which is the name of a trope of magic involving advance mathematics).

Hygienic Lunatic

10,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Mifune013
Faliry
1. (Mechanical Magic): it enables its user to do all sorts of things you usually can do with your hands or tools (move, throw, cut, punch holes, sew, slice, assemble, etc) with a simple spell.
These could be aspects of Transmutation or if they're not actually change the object but using a force like you would use a saw, then it could be some form of telekinetics (or maybe just kinetics).
Faliry
2. (Elemental Magic): its user can produce and control fire, water, ice, lighting, etc. (kind of like RPGs' black magic)
You could refer to it as Evocation, each one could be it's own school, or you could remove it entirely and refer to it as results of other magics. For example with using telekinetics you could vibrate molecules causing the air to burst into flames.
Faliry
3. (Medical Magic or Physical Magic): just like white magic, its user can heal wounds, relieve pain, heal some magical conditions and give some buffs, like increased agility, strength, stamina, etc.
This could also be aspects of Transmutation. It could also be Enchantment, especially if they're giving people properties they don't normally have. There is also Necromancy, at least with the more modern definition, which reworks flesh (usually dead flesh).
Faliry
4. (Physical Magic or Martial Magic): kind of like monks, this kind of magic allows its user to control a magical energy inside their body to increase its strength, reflexes, endurance and such and even heal their own health (it can't be cast in someone else though).
Definitely Enchantment, abet self inflicted.
Faliry
5. (Psychic Magic or Mental Magic): enable its user to inject emotions, feelings and thoughts in another person, subjugate others will and things like that.
Clairvoyance would allow to see into the minds of others, half way across the world, or hours/days/years into the future (or past). Illusion could cause people to see and hear what is not there or even be able to touch it if it's strong enough. It could also be used to put thoughts into another's mind.
Faliry
6. (Natural Magic): a little like blue magic, its user is able to control plants, animals and monsters.
Shamanism if you're not so much controlling as persuading the plants and animals to do tasks for you. If you're truly controlling the animals this could be a form of illusion.
Faliry
7. (Alchemy or Brewlogy): enable its user to imbue magic while merging ingredients to create all kinds of potions and bombs.
Alchemy is alchemy. It can be aided by other types of magic like transmutation but it's still alchemy.
Faliry
8. (Transmogrification): magic that makes possible to change attributes (color, size, shape, texture, etc) of things and even beings.
Transmutation. This is exactly what transmutation is about.
Faliry
9. (Tinkerism): not exactly a magic, but it's like a science that does not obey real science laws, but needs a lot of study, calculus and applied concepts to create machines powered by crystals previously imbued with magick by a mage.
This could be considered an aspect of alchemy. You could also just call it Science, after all if your world support the use of magic then that means magic is apart of the laws of physics and that this type of technology doesn't actually violate the laws of physics but rather utilizes them. Unless it turns out that magic is just energy leaking in from another reality into this reality then you could call it something like Demechanics (demon or dimensional mechanics).

You might want to look up Hermetics, Chaos Magic, and Formulaic Magic (which is the name of a trope of magic involving advance mathematics).

Thank you, that helped a lot! surprised
I have a quick question, if anyone is willing to answer! I wasn't sure if this was a writing question or an art question, so pardon me if this isn't the place to ask this.

You see, I have an alien character that doesn't speak English at all in a graphic novel I'm writing/drawing. He's only a comic-relief sort of side character, and he eventually gets a translator later on.

What I've been thinking about doing is using the Wingdings font(s) for his non-translated chatter. But would that be a good idea? Is it too ridiculous to work? More importantly, will I run into copyright issues with the owners of the Wingdings font(s)?

I thought about using grawlixes or whatever they're called (these things > #%@&*~!!!), but since those are so heavily associated with the censorship of vulgarity, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. It might change people's perception of the character to something I hadn't intended.

So: Should I use wingdings, grawlixes, or something else to translate this character's speech? Or should I just avoid symbol speech altogether and start him off with a translator?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dapper Explorer

8,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Nondescription
Okay, so I did some quick research and...well...Wingdings is technically copyrighted by Microsoft. While there are some symbols within Wingdings that are obviously public domain (skull and crossbone, recycle symbol, etc.) the font itself is owned by Microsoft.

High-functioning Gawker

fingers crossed i'm in the right spot for this
i've just broken over 13k words in my novel after overcoming a nice bout of writer's block, but now i feel that even though the story is moving again it's just sort of blah
anyone have tips for adding drama/tension/conflict without it seeming forced or cliché or plot-devicey?
not looking for specific scenarios or anything, just some general advice about injecting some more action into my plot without being too chintzy
thanks~ c:
Mifune013
Nondescription
Okay, so I did some quick research and...well...Wingdings is technically copyrighted by Microsoft. While there are some symbols within Wingdings that are obviously public domain (skull and crossbone, recycle symbol, etc.) the font itself is owned by Microsoft.
Ah, I see. Well, I'll get to making an original alphabet for my character's nonsense then. Thank you so much for your help!
(Also, sorry for the late reply!)
dinoRAWRSyou
fingers crossed i'm in the right spot for this
i've just broken over 13k words in my novel after overcoming a nice bout of writer's block, but now i feel that even though the story is moving again it's just sort of blah
anyone have tips for adding drama/tension/conflict without it seeming forced or cliché or plot-devicey?
not looking for specific scenarios or anything, just some general advice about injecting some more action into my plot without being too chintzy
thanks~ c:

Well, in my opinion, interesting conflict is best achieved when you have 2 or more characters with strong convictions or motivations towards achieving a goal, and those objectives end up being at odds. That may sound like no brainer, but keeping that definition of conflict in mind can really help you see where those conflicts should happen in the story. Think about your characters. What drives them, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally? What are their wants, needs, and desires, and how would they go about achieving them? Not just within the main plot, but in their lives in general. Really fleshing those details out, then comparing them between characters, will help you see great points of conflict that can be used within the frame of the story.

Distinct Humorist

7,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Timid 100
I think I have a good idea for a story and a rough idea of the characters and setting, but when I sit down and try to write it, I struggle to form each new paragraph. I think my difficulty is that I'm trying to write science fiction, which demands a really structured and thorough understanding of characters and setting. It is different to anything I've tried before; I have attempted sci-fi before but it's never emerged from the realm of planning.

What I need to do is get a much firmer understanding of my characters and setting before I start writing, especially because my hero is an android who thinks differently to ordinary people. However, I'm not sure how to do it. I have tried using character sheets and questionnaires and I don't feel like I know my characters any better than I did before. I have also tried writing random short stories and descriptions but I still find them difficult.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on character development?

Timid Sweetheart

11,200 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
Gale Gynoid
I think I have a good idea for a story and a rough idea of the characters and setting, but when I sit down and try to write it, I struggle to form each new paragraph. I think my difficulty is that I'm trying to write science fiction, which demands a really structured and thorough understanding of characters and setting. It is different to anything I've tried before; I have attempted sci-fi before but it's never emerged from the realm of planning.

What I need to do is get a much firmer understanding of my characters and setting before I start writing, especially because my hero is an android who thinks differently to ordinary people. However, I'm not sure how to do it. I have tried using character sheets and questionnaires and I don't feel like I know my characters any better than I did before. I have also tried writing random short stories and descriptions but I still find them difficult.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on character development?

You say you have used character sheets and questionnaires. Have you done a "character interview" yet? (Where you basically sit down and just have a convo/interview with your character to start seeing them in a clearer picture.) It usually works for me just fine when I'm having trouble understanding or interpreting my characters.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I want to write a story where most of the country has been taken over and the story focuses on the rebels. The country, while not taken over by foreigners was taken over internally by new people, either a new higher caste or a strange slightly magic people.

For simplicity, let's go by DS9 labels for these people. The vorta have taken over and the founders, a higher caste, have kept hidden while giving them orders. The two act the same way as they do in the show, the vorta worshiping the founders, who think themselves far superior to everyone else. I don't plan to make them aliens and again, I'm not sure if they will even have powers or be a different specie/race. But he worshiping I do want built in as something the vorta can't prevent.

Any helpful ideas?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces