Welcome to Gaia! ::

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
RoseMeadow
I_Write_Ivre
I'm at a bit of a loss for an important speech in my story.

In my fantasy story, mages use magic based on their chosen deity. In return the deity notices them whenever they do magic. Magic requires practice in balance and strategy not only to keep spells from injuring bystanders and what to do when, but also because each time they are noticed by the gods, there is a chance the gods will become interested in the situation and show up.

No one wants them to show up since they're basically humanity intensified with nothing holding back their emotions and their extremely powerful and immortal.

One showed up when a mage helped Siobah, the main character in the story. A goddess appeared to Siobahn, mentions how she (the Goddess) has lost nearly all capability for empathy through the pain of eons and doesn't want Siobahn to lose them, but also to be practical. The Goddess mentions she does something these centuries as her last attempt to cling to morality.

I can't think of what that should be, though. What would a hardened warrior who has lost her family do to still aid those who choose her as a patron deity?

does she really need a reason if she is still a warrior, and is willing to fight then she could have a little hope left or the ppl who chose her remind her of her family

She does need a reason, since she'd need something to fight for and believe that there is something she's still capable of holding onto. The only one who reminds her of her family is another god who took her child away.
I_Write_Ivre
RoseMeadow
I_Write_Ivre

In my fantasy story, mages use magic based on their chosen deity. In return the deity notices them whenever they do magic. Magic requires practice in balance and strategy not only to keep spells from injuring bystanders and what to do when, but also because each time they are noticed by the gods, there is a chance the gods will become interested in the situation and show up.

No one wants them to show up since they're basically humanity intensified with nothing holding back their emotions and their extremely powerful and immortal.

One showed up when a mage helped Siobah, the main character in the story. A goddess appeared to Siobahn, mentions how she (the Goddess) has lost nearly all capability for empathy through the pain of eons and doesn't want Siobahn to lose them, but also to be practical. The Goddess mentions she does something these centuries as her last attempt to cling to morality.

I can't think of what that should be, though. What would a hardened warrior who has lost her family do to still aid those who choose her as a patron deity?

does she really need a reason if she is still a warrior, and is willing to fight then she could have a little hope left or the ppl who chose her remind her of her family

She does need a reason, since she'd need something to fight for and believe that there is something she's still capable of holding onto. The only one who reminds her of her family is another god who took her child away.

what about revenge that always a good iniciative for fightning

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
RoseMeadow
I_Write_Ivre
RoseMeadow
I_Write_Ivre

what about revenge that always a good iniciative for fightning

I need a reason she clings to good, not fighting. Sorry.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
x P A N T S x
I have a SEVERE problem with the main characters in my stories. In short, every single one of them are MARY SUES. I have concepts that I want them to have (backstories, etc) but when I go to write them, I can't stop and they end up a Mary Sue. Every single time. All my stories feature heroines so I need help in the character development part. In short, how do I make a character with a cool concept without making her a mary sue?

Are they really Mary Sues, or are you just putting too much stock in those Mary Sue Litmus Test quizzes? Because those things suck.

What is it about them that you feel makes them a Sue? And then why not just cut out that part if you don't like it?
Lazarus Larkin
Are they really Mary Sues, or are you just putting too much stock in those Mary Sue Litmus Test quizzes? Because those things suck.

What is it about them that you feel makes them a Sue? And then why not just cut out that part if you don't like it?

No, they really are Mary Sues.
It's almost like I couldn't stop writing when I came to my main character.
Horrible background + angst-y personality + supernatural powers that no one could ever possibly have or defeat
-headdesk-
I just don't know when to stop.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
x P A N T S x
Horrible background + angst-y personality + supernatural powers that no one could ever possibly have or defeat
-headdesk-

That's not a Sue, it's a rough draft.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
x P A N T S x
Lazarus Larkin

No, they really are Mary Sues.
-headdesk-

That really doesn't mean they're Sues. If you take those characters and give them well-developed personalities and make sure everyone in your story isn't in love with them for no reason you could have great characters there, powers or no powers.
I need help with a character name...well, a superhero name actually.

This character is female, with a double personality. She's based off of roses and has three super powers: 1) She can have her hair grow out and turn into thorn vines that can whip, defend, wrap around things, etc. 2) She can travel anywhere as long as she's touching earth and comes up in a rose. 3) She can take control of people with rose buds that sink into the skin.

I really want it to be French somehow...but I've never been good with names. Any help is appreciated! heart

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Belle Redevance

This character is female, with a double personality. She's based off of roses and has three super powers: 1) She can have her hair grow out and turn into thorn vines that can whip, defend, wrap around things, etc. 2) She can travel anywhere as long as she's touching earth and comes up in a rose. 3) She can take control of people with rose buds that sink into the skin.

I really want it to be French somehow...but I've never been good with names. Any help is appreciated! heart

Why not just call her Rose or Bloom?
I_Write_Ivre
Belle Redevance

I was thinking about that, but I thought it was boring...I guess I could :3
Thanks ^w^

Popular Tycoon

10,175 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
I_Write_Ivre
Belle Redevance

or Caitlin; that's a good name. biggrin

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I'm having a bit of a dilemma with a character in my story. Something that affects all the characters in the story is a magic item that can bring back a certain person who used to be a savior icon of vampires. He protected vampires from humans and vice-versa whenever he heard of such troubles and traveled a good chunk of the world improving relations between the two.

My problem is this: should he or should he not kill? I'm against making him a Dr. Who type as his powers and abilities are limited and he is known for solving things with violence when the situation call for it. But should he kill his enemies or leave them alive? This could change the way others see him, but I'm not sure which works best for the story.
Perhaps it's an option that's on the table, but he'd rather not go that far if possible. Make him more morally grey.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Sir Icehawk
Perhaps it's an option that's on the table, but he'd rather not go that far if possible. Make him more morally grey.

So the no killing, but maiming and hurting, or the killing when needed? I'm confused since they're both morally gray.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff