Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fleaball
hey, now that i've seen this, maybe i can stop bugging my friends for help! sweatdrop

since this thread is all about helping with plots and whatnot, can i make a suggestion? why doesn't somebody make a sticky for betas? where you can advertise yourself as a beta or recruit one if you need it? just an idea...

@ Naisuki i realize that in your head the full idea may be original, but what you gave us doesn't sound so much so. i think in order for people to help you, you need to outline the plot a little bit more, and/or establish the character of the prince [at least].

*is he reluctant to rule the kingdom? if yes, that would be more reason for the revolution-it could be more successful. if he's not, what is he going to do to stop it?

*why would there be a revolution in the first place? why is it that the fairies want to govern themselves? has the royal family/government wronged them in some way, or does government just not appeal to them?

*what are the "new ideas" spreading around?

*how is the court conspiring against the prince? do they want to completely overthrow him, kill him maybe? or do they just want to dissolve the hierarchy?

sweatdrop kay, i'm done playing 20 questions now. but those are some things you may want to think about to help you. [you don't necessarily have to answer them...]

I know the answers to all of them...just didn't want to post something outrageously long and maybe even hard to understand.

Like any civilization there soon needed to be a leader if there were something like a war or such...a primal need for leadership. You imagine fairies as fun-loving beings frolicking the woods...but what if a while ago a hero were needed? Soon afterwords the hero might become king...soon establishing a type of monarchy through the people.

The ideas are bigger than you may imagine. Someone obviously has something against the king and will stop at nothing to suceed. They are spreading the idea of freedom...and that idea spreads fast. Soon enough even people in the court will have heard of it...will think of it...and may actually be led to believe in a possible freedom where things may be slightly simpler. The fairies know the king will die soon...when that happens the government will be instable and easy for them to revolt and govern themselves. They want freedom...although the one who began it wants something else entirely.

The court conspiring against him is iffy...he honestly doesn't know...but everything is a possibility. Things begin to happen...violence even.

As for developing the characters...I have to think of a name for the prince. He doesn't want to rule...but he's not against anyone...he's just young and doesn't want to do it...especially when the whole kingdom is slowly viewing things differently. Everything he does may be wrong. He's the type who might want to reach an agreement with his people...and behind him are a court of 7 who each think differently on what he should do. (Save for the twins, Ace and Bade.)

The huge plot twist (which I am reluctant in giving out.) is that the one who started it has a secret. She's a shapeshifter and once was a friend of an old old king. The whole point being that the dead king was a false ruler and actually a backstabbing friend. (In her mind at least.) There is a reason he became king...which I will not reveal. She has a son now...one who does not know his heritage. He just knows that his mother really loves him...but seems busy with other things. At 15 or so...a young teen she sends him to get a job...to help support them. He does so...and a golden oppurtunity shows. He is hired at the palace where many a trustworthy servant is needed. His character is timid and shy but quite lovable. He has no idea who he really is...he will be set into the story without letting the readers know either.

The prince and servant will obviously meet at some point...yada yada yada. There will be slow transitions within stages of the revolution...etc etc etc. The plot twist is revealed...the whole kingdom slowly turns back to normal (which may be hard because of how serious this actually was...so time will be spent on that...) the ending is relatively happy.

Better? Because I know I'm not telling a lot of things.
Yay you got stuck. Can I offer out my namebank for a link section again?

9,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Hello, I haven't been around much do to the evil that shall be called 'NaNo', but now that I am back to haunt the WF, I have a little link to share. While it works very well for extremely detailed fantasy/science fiction books that were written in huge series, some of the questions are good for when you are stuck with a certain question you never thought of before.

World Building Questions

This next link is an essay written a long time ago about the deteriation of the English Language. It is a firm argument against using Netspeak and |33t in writing and even every day conversations.

The Death of English

The last two links are more for fun then anything else. Since I tend to set my stories in England, American Guide to Speaking British has been most helpful, althought I also find that reading a lot of books written by native Britians has helped as well. My other obsession has been pirates and what better place to get pirate facts then at TalkLike A Pirate. One more link that is very useful for anyone wanting to be an Evil Overlord. Evil Overlord is the best place to find some well known cliches with plots using an evil overlord.
ok, i read your warning about posting partial/full works here. but this story seems to complicated to just write down right now, we've yet to get any ...."real" opinions about it. im asking this on a knee with my your shoes to my lips, please read this, it wont take you very long, it seems longer than it actually is, if you print it out id say 60 pages.

http://www.dethmajor.com/writing/angelboots/Angel_Boots.htm#11/18/03

ill say this again, i am desperate. plus i think youll enjoy it none the less.

im not asking for a straight opinion, but i realize this story needs some help....the grammar is pretty horrable, but we hav'nt had an editor yet, so disregard the grammar.
Hoorah! for sticky-hood, Tora Hikari. It's quite an accomplishment.
Naisuki
The ideas are bigger than you may imagine. Someone obviously has something against the king and will stop at nothing to suceed. They are spreading the idea of freedom...and that idea spreads fast. Soon enough even people in the court will have heard of it...will think of it...and may actually be led to believe in a possible freedom where things may be slightly simpler. The fairies know the king will die soon...when that happens the government will be instable and easy for them to revolt and govern themselves. They want freedom...although the one who began it wants something else entirely.

What kind of freedom does the court want? It'd be hard to see the court supporting true freedom, since that would take away their political and social power. Common people I could see, but, the court? They'd probably just want an aristocracy instead of a monarchy.

Man-Hungry Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Dashnir
Yay you got stuck. Can I offer out my namebank for a link section again?

Namebank is already on the front page. wink

And Zacharra, I'm not the only one who got stickied! We combined our threads. ((Check the first two posts.))

Felinix
So are you giving advice or making demands? And if you're giving advice that they would "cansider and drop," then is your advice very worthwhile? Or even good, if they're tempted not even to listen?

I actually prefer to pose questions and let the mind work for itself. Advice comes in many forms, mine is just less overt than most. And if they don't listen to me, there are many skilled writers that seem to haunt this thread at times, I'm sure someone can help. I'm not here for an ego trip, 'We're Here to Help.'
Hi, I'm new, but I love writing. Anyone have any tips for a novice?
Tristitia
Naisuki

What kind of freedom does the court want? It'd be hard to see the court supporting true freedom, since that would take away their political and social power. Common people I could see, but, the court? They'd probably just want an aristocracy instead of a monarchy.

You seem to misunderstand...the prince honestly doesn't know. Of course they may not want to completely get rid of having a ruler or government and their ideas constantly differ. The point is that no one knows. All you can figure out is that they certainly have heard wind of it. That is there to cause unrest for the new prince. (Who to trust?)
Naisuki
You seem to misunderstand...the prince honestly doesn't know. Of course they may not want to completely get rid of having a ruler or government and their ideas constantly differ. The point is that no one knows. All you can figure out is that they certainly have heard wind of it. That is there to vause unrest for the new price. (Who to trust?)

Yep, now I'm confused. So is this just a bunch of rumors that are causing conflict or is there actually a conspiracy behind it?
Tristitia
Naisuki
You seem to misunderstand...the prince honestly doesn't know. Of course they may not want to completely get rid of having a ruler or government and their ideas constantly differ. The point is that no one knows. All you can figure out is that they certainly have heard wind of it. That is there to vause unrest for the new price. (Who to trust?)

Yep, now I'm confused. So is this just a bunch of rumors that are causing conflict or is there actually a conspiracy behind it?

There is something causing a rebellion and perhaps even a fairy revolution. The conspiracy is something the prince has to think about. Suppose you were made prince...you know the people on the court might look down on you because you're so much younger. Not to mention the constant threat of rebellion. Would you trust everyone? That's there as a confusion to him...and maybe there is one. Maybe there isn't. (The actual thing is that there WILL be a conspiracy. One of the twins actually...either Ace or Bade. It'll be figured out after character developement.)

Is it clear or have I made things worse?
Naisuki
Tristitia
Naisuki

There is something causing a rebellion and perhaps even a fairy revolution. The conspiracy is something the prince has to think about. Suppose you were made prince...you know the people on the court might look down on you because you're so much younger. Not to mention the constant threat of rebellion. Would you trust everyone? That's there as a confusion to him...and maybe there is one. Maybe there isn't. (The actual thing is that there WILL be a conspiracy. One of the twins actually...either Ace or Bade. It'll be figured out after character developement.)

It's clearer now that I know for sure there IS a conspiracy. biggrin So have you decided yet what the twin wants to result from the conspiracy, or is that still in the works?

Man-Hungry Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
EremenTo
Hi, I'm new, but I love writing. Anyone have any tips for a novice?

There are plenty for a novice. But I'll lay down the easy ones: Learn grammar, it is your friend. Read. Practice. Read. Practice. Read. Read. Practice. Read some more. Basically, that's the best tips you can get.

Just keep practicing, and keep reading. Look for someone you can trust to review your work for you, and you'll do fine!

Oh yes: Noobie mistake number one: Getting defensive over a negative review. Our hint: All constructive reviews are helpful!
Tristitia
Naisuki
Tristitia
Naisuki

It's clearer now that I know for sure there IS a conspiracy. biggrin So have you decided yet what the twin wants to result from the conspiracy, or is that still in the works?

...I'm still working on the age of the twins! I constantly think back to Fred and George...which is not good. xp I'm currently thinking that one of the twins might have more knowledge about the whole thing and slowly gain a new opinion. Then he might plot to overthrow him and get the real prince on the throne. I don't imagine him to be completely evil or anything...but he certainly would cause confusion even if to him he was doing the right thing. Thanks for asking though...it really is helping me.
i could use a bit of help on fleshing out my characters and main story... its a fantasy with minor Sci-Fi elements...

the plot-outline so far:
Long ago humans were inprisoned after failing to conquer the planet. they have discovered something more powerful than the magics that seal them 'Technology' has enhanced their stregnth and lifespan, the ruler of the human society Joseph T. Tarvelian has gathered the best and brightest of their world to create a way to free them. unknown to them there is a malevolent force being revived by their actions and it plans to turn their world and the rest of the universe to cinders.
a few young heroes may save the universe or will they be the host for this force?

i have a few main characters though i haven't finished them all yet, this is the only one i've come close to finishing:

Leon Epsilon
Race: Vulpes Sapien ((foxlike human...))
Looks: he has black and white hair and fur, the has a tail as well as the fox ears. he is exactly five feet three and three-quarter inches tall. he is usually found wearing a black and white outfit to compliment his hair and fur. his skin is a light tan.
his build is an average build for his age, fit but not muscular.

Personality: he hates humans with a passion, they have made fun of him and tormented him his entire life. he laughs at their suffering.
he is otherwise a gentle soul though he never shows it, he seems to hate the world.

History: born in the human prison that spans a four continents in a world of eleven, his family unknown and his reason for being in the city long forgotten he has grown slower than the humans being what he is.

Weapon: Bladed Whips

the other characters are as follows:
these are very Vague character descriptions because this is all i have on them

Kira.
Female
race: Feline Sapien (Neko)
Personality: slightly lets say hyper...
Weapon: Guns

Liliane Lycanthrope:
Female
Race: Werewolf.
Personality: Serious. military like.
Weapon:Rings((thats all i can think of))

Alucius...:
Male:
Race: Demon((umbrella term... can' think of anything else))
Personality...: a bit overly brave for a mage...
Weapon: Polearms((spears etc.))

thats about it i have one more i'm working on but haven't even decided on a name yet... and i haven't even worked out the names of villians yet...
and i do get alot of inspiration from well RPGs...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff