Welcome to Gaia! ::

Man-Hungry Conversationalist

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Niahm
Try new things, change them if you don't like them or keep them if you think they fit.

The Think Tank and Idea Box

We are here to help. Help with what? You know those tiny details that are most difficult to make realistic? The additions, or removal, of odd bits of information to complete a story's realism?

That's what we're here to help with.

We will not hand you a plot. We will not hand you the basis for a world. We want to help iron these things out, to help you reach a point you're comfortable with.

All plots and worlds set forth are copyrighted to the authors, and authors only; except in the case of fanfiction, where the author should note. Fanfiction will be looked at as openly as original work! The advice you give is offered knowingly to the one you're advising, who may use the advice in any way they see fit.

In short the services we provide are:

• Minor story elements, fixing possible plot holes (the obvious things)
  • Giving direction to and helping with your brainstorming
  • Fleshing out characters (Q&A/Pressconference for character)

If you're not sure if we can help you with something, just ask, we'll be glad to help!

On Topic Posts:

• Requesting help hammering out details for a specific fiction.
  • Asking if a particular plot has any inconsistencies (please post a synopsis.)
  • Responding to a help request.
  • Offering ideas to better this thread.

Off Topic Posts:

• Debate that does not have to do directly with a plot or story idea being discussed.
  • Bumps. This is a sticky, bumps are not necessary.
  • Flaming and trolling.
  • Anything that does not have to do with writing.

If you can, don't be vague in your plotlines when asking for advice. The more vague you are, the less help we can give.

Please, do not post full or partial works here. We help with ideas, so summaries and description of the problem area should suffice, and if you really need us to read the work, give us a link, be it to fictionpress.com, fanfiction.net, or a Gaian thread.

Also, if you could, please use a higher level of grammar here than you do on the rest of the internet? It helps those trying to help you, and makes you look more intelligent, too.
-The Idea Box!-

Here's a very extensive list of writing prompts for you, gathered by myself and the members of the original Idea Box. There's a lot of inspiration to be found in these, so click around...you're BOUND to find something that suits you.

If you find a link to an unlisted page of prompts/story helps somewhere, feel free to submit it. xd

And of course, if this thread does inspire you (as I know it will) feel free to share!

-Updates!-

-4/8/09-
Added Toasted Cheese Daily Prompts for the past couple years. If you have a helpful link you'd like to see on this list, feel free to PM it to me so I can get it up here.

-10/21/05-
Returning to the Idea Box after an extended LOA. >>;; Now doing maintenance to clear out dead/outdated links.

-11/29/04-
Merged with the Think Tank into one massive story-help of a...thread. Be very afraid. xp

-Writing Prompts and Plot Help-

Creative Writing Prompts
Can Teach
Imagination Prompt Generator
Writing Prompts
Write Source
A Very Short List of What-If Based Writing Prompts
Plot Bank
Random Plot Generator
BBC - Get Writing!
43 Ways To Get Out of Writer's Block
Character Creation Sheet
Daily Prompts - 2002
Daily Prompts - 2003
Daily Prompts - 2004
Daily Prompts - 2005
Daily Prompts - 2006
Daily Prompts - 2007
Daily Prompts - 2008
Daily Prompts - 2009

-Name Generators-

Seventh Sanctum
Name Generator
Fantasy Name Generator

-Baby Name Sites-
(Not just for babies, of course. whee )

20,000-names.com
Alphabet Zoope
babynames.com
behindthename.com
last-names.net

-Other Helpful Threads/Websites-

The Question Box-- For When The Net Fails You
A Writer's Guide to Fantasy Races
Name Bank

Advice On Creating Original Names

Seventh Sanctum
A Generic Fantasy Story: A Guide
So, how would I apply for this "character interview" thing, how would it function... and how can I become a helpful, helpful member? 3nodding

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
16807 Remorseful Whim
So, how would I apply for this "character interview" thing, how would it function... and how can I become a helpful, helpful member? 3nodding

MEmbers are Gaia Online members who have given help in the past, the current list from the old The Think Tank.

As for the 'character interview:' Basically, if you feel something is wrong with a character, come in with a short bio, perhaps a link to a clip of a story involving the character, we ask questions, such as 'why does he have this reaction to this action?' ((Very Generic, fill in specifics. wink )) You use our questions to fill in the holes you left out. ((And if you just didn't write them down, you can fix that issue, too.))
Is it all right if the whole plot is still being formed?

Would it be ok to come here to bounce off ideas with someone?
Naisuki
Is it all right if the whole plot is still being formed?

Would it be ok to come here to bounce off ideas with someone?

That sounds fine.
Don't you think though, that giving your output "as you see fit" means writing parts of the story for them? It seems like you're trying to get your ideas into a story more than anything. If you don't like something the way it is in a story, you can't just go and change it or offer a "better" solution. It's still their story.

Just questions that came up while I read this.

8,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Felinix
Don't you think though, that giving your output "as you see fit" means writing parts of the story for them? It seems like you're trying to get your ideas into a story more than anything. If you don't like something the way it is in a story, you can't just go and change it or offer a "better" solution. It's still their story.

You may make any offer to an author who walks into this thread. You may have free reign to say what they should and shouldn't do. They have as much right to listen to your advice/demands as they do to ignore it, or consider and drop them. Freedom of ideas is a nice thing, is it not?

Wheezing Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
whee niiiiiiice sticky!! this should prove very useful.
Tora Hikari
Felinix

You may make any offer to an author who walks into this thread. You may have free reign to say what they should and shouldn't do. They have as much right to listen to your advice/demands as they do to ignore it, or consider and drop them. Freedom of ideas is a nice thing, is it not?

So are you giving advice or making demands? And if you're giving advice that they would "cansider and drop," then is your advice very worthwhile? Or even good, if they're tempted not even to listen?
I have this newly forming idea and perhaps you could catch me on where the plot may be more developed.

It's a fantasy story...but a very original one. I don't want ANYONE taking this idea. Had it for a while now...but anyway:

It will be set in a fairy kingdom in which the king is growing old. The antagonist will remain hidden and unknown...but you soon see that ideas of revolution set in. The fairy people want to be back to the old days in which they could rule themselves. The kingdom runs feverish with new ideas constantly spreading. In the midst of it all the king dies of old age and his young son must replace him. Now...the young fairy has to rule a kingdom with a court of fairies that may be conspiring against him.
Felinix

So are you giving advice or making demands? And if you're giving advice that they would "cansider and drop," then is your advice very worthwhile? Or even good, if they're tempted not even to listen?

'scuse me for butting in, but I had to reply to this...

Giving advice, not making demands. No one's standing over the authors with a whip, insisting they do something "just so". Critiques, advice, etc.

Furthermore, advice can still be good and worthwhile, even if they decide to ignore it. Take for example...a boy is advised not to feed wild lions. He ignores the advice...and is eaten.

Not to say the authors will be eaten, but you get the idea. biggrin
hey, now that i've seen this, maybe i can stop bugging my friends for help! sweatdrop

since this thread is all about helping with plots and whatnot, can i make a suggestion? why doesn't somebody make a sticky for betas? where you can advertise yourself as a beta or recruit one if you need it? just an idea...

@ Naisuki i realize that in your head the full idea may be original, but what you gave us doesn't sound so much so. i think in order for people to help you, you need to outline the plot a little bit more, and/or establish the character of the prince [at least].

*is he reluctant to rule the kingdom? if yes, that would be more reason for the revolution-it could be more successful. if he's not, what is he going to do to stop it?

*why would there be a revolution in the first place? why is it that the fairies want to govern themselves? has the royal family/government wronged them in some way, or does government just not appeal to them?

*what are the "new ideas" spreading around?

*how is the court conspiring against the prince? do they want to completely overthrow him, kill him maybe? or do they just want to dissolve the hierarchy?

sweatdrop kay, i'm done playing 20 questions now. but those are some things you may want to think about to help you. [you don't necessarily have to answer them...]
Fleaball
hey, now that i've seen this, maybe i can stop bugging my friends for help! sweatdrop

since this thread is all about helping with plots and whatnot, can i make a suggestion? why doesn't somebody make a sticky for betas? where you can advertise yourself as a beta or recruit one if you need it? just an idea...

There is already a sticky for that, you just need to find it. I think it is in the originals works or one of the sub-forum stickies. ^^
Niahm
Fleaball

There is already a sticky for that, you just need to find it. I think it is in the originals works or one of the sub-forum stickies. ^^

great! now that i've proven myself to be an idiot... sweatdrop i'll hafta go find that. thanks, lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff