Welcome to Gaia! ::

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE "IF I STAY" BOOK / MOVIE.

Hey guys. I've been thinking about writing a story similar to the "If I Stay" novel / movie. I loved the idea of the "If I Stay" book / movie but I feel like there could've been more done with it as the story just kinda felt flat. :/

If you're not familiar with the "If I Stay" book / movie, it's about a girl who falls into a coma after getting into a car accident in which her parents and brother die. The girl is left outside of her body, like a ghost, and then has to decide whether she wants to live or die.

Basically, I wanted to take that same idea of having the main character be in a coma and have to choose life or death but I wanted to do more with the plot to make it a little less boring. I was thinking of adding a Grim Reaper type character that explains the situation and offers the main character advice and such but I can't think of much more use for that character.

I also need a reason for the main character to not immediately choose to live and I didn't really want to use the same "everyone in the car died but me" part as in "If I Stay". Why would a generally happy person with a good life not immediately choose to live? That's the biggest question I can't figure out.

Anyone have some ideas they want to throw at me? I would appreciate it. razz

Btw, this story is only for fun.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
What impact would she have on anything were she to live or to die?
The first reason that popped into my head was a "grass is greener on the otherside" sort of scenario. The good place people go to after death is often thought of as paradise, which nothing in our mortal lives can match. If she got to walk around and see what it was like on the otherside, she might think about giving life up in favor for it. Depends on the character, of course.

If you don't like the above scenario, try thinking of some conflicts you could introduce. Maybe the character got into a fight with a parent and wants them to suffer a little? Maybe in the crash she also hit and killed someone, feels guilty, and has doubts about staying because of it? Maybe she's the sort of person who enjoys attention and likes seeing how much she gets when she's in the coma? Maybe she's "generally happy" on the outside, but depressed on the inside?

As for the grim reaper, he/she/it could lead your character around showing them the other side and then get annoyed or even turn on the character if she takes too long making the choice?
I_Write_Ivre
What impact would she have on anything were she to live or to die?
That's something I need to think about.

Turnilk
The first reason that popped into my head was a "grass is greener on the otherside" sort of scenario. The good place people go to after death is often thought of as paradise, which nothing in our mortal lives can match. If she got to walk around and see what it was like on the otherside, she might think about giving life up in favor for it. Depends on the character, of course.

If you don't like the above scenario, try thinking of some conflicts you could introduce. Maybe the character got into a fight with a parent and wants them to suffer a little? Maybe in the crash she also hit and killed someone, feels guilty, and has doubts about staying because of it? Maybe she's the sort of person who enjoys attention and likes seeing how much she gets when she's in the coma? Maybe she's "generally happy" on the outside, but depressed on the inside?

As for the grim reaper, he/she/it could lead your character around showing them the other side and then get annoyed or even turn on the character if she takes too long making the choice?

Oooh, thank you for your ideas.

I'm not sure about the first one, tbh. I wouldn't think you'd be able to temporarily visit "the other side" like that. Surely there would be some rules against that?

I think out of all of those ideas, the "hit and killed someone" would be the most plausible. That would definitely induce tons of guilt and possibly the reluctance to stay because then she might think she should die also to make things "even".

Also like the idea of an annoyed grim reaper. Definitely can't be a good idea to annoy ol' Grim.
Talk_To_Trolls

I'm not sure about the first one, tbh. I wouldn't think you'd be able to temporarily visit "the other side" like that. Surely there would be some rules against that?

I think out of all of those ideas, the "hit and killed someone" would be the most plausible. That would definitely induce tons of guilt and possibly the reluctance to stay because then she might think she should die also to make things "even".

Also like the idea of an annoyed grim reaper. Definitely can't be a good idea to annoy ol' Grim.

I think in the Divine Comedy, Dante goes on a tour of hell, purgatory, and heaven without having died first. One episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch that I remember, the aunts were talking about death and decided to check out the afterlife while they were still alive. In Dead Like Me, the reapers would sometimes get a glimpse into a person's afterlife when they went into it. In Ghost Whisperer, the main character couldn't see the light the ghosts could. And in charmed, spirits could visit the living world and even be seen or be completely physical. So, the rules, if there are any, aren't completely set in stone. Do as you wish, but be sure to be consistent with whatever you do.

If you take the visiting the afterlife route in combination with the route that she killed someone, you have the opportunity to have the main character meet and talk to the person they killed, or at the very least request to do so. No matter the answer the grim reaper gives, you can use the opportunity for even more conflict, which could make it harder or easier for the main character to make their choice.

The grim reaper is a toughie. He/she/it deals with dead or dieing people all the time and the ones that have the option of staying or going, probably don't always know which route to go and could test his/her/its patience all the time. I would think it would become somewhat normal by the time he/she/it gets to meet your character, so you might want to think up a couple of other reasons to pile on why grim might get annoyed with your character. Maybe they are getting tired of the job, or maybe people he/she/it worked with before ground down their nerves, or maybe grim gets that way with everyone who takes too long?

Its a bit odd that the grim reaper would pay special attention to one person when there are so many around the world that might need his/her/its "talents". I'd suggest if you want to keep the character, that you at least explain how the grim reaper works in your story. At least, if I were reading such a story I'd appreciate an explanation.

That was a bit longer than I intended sweatdrop
Turnilk
Talk_To_Trolls

I think in the Divine Comedy, Dante goes on a tour of hell, purgatory, and heaven without having died first. One episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch that I remember, the aunts were talking about death and decided to check out the afterlife while they were still alive. In Dead Like Me, the reapers would sometimes get a glimpse into a person's afterlife when they went into it. In Ghost Whisperer, the main character couldn't see the light the ghosts could. And in charmed, spirits could visit the living world and even be seen or be completely physical. So, the rules, if there are any, aren't completely set in stone. Do as you wish, but be sure to be consistent with whatever you do.

If you take the visiting the afterlife route in combination with the route that she killed someone, you have the opportunity to have the main character meet and talk to the person they killed, or at the very least request to do so. No matter the answer the grim reaper gives, you can use the opportunity for even more conflict, which could make it harder or easier for the main character to make their choice.

The grim reaper is a toughie. He/she/it deals with dead or dieing people all the time and the ones that have the option of staying or going, probably don't always know which route to go and could test his/her/its patience all the time. I would think it would become somewhat normal by the time he/she/it gets to meet your character, so you might want to think up a couple of other reasons to pile on why grim might get annoyed with your character. Maybe they are getting tired of the job, or maybe people he/she/it worked with before ground down their nerves, or maybe grim gets that way with everyone who takes too long?

Its a bit odd that the grim reaper would pay special attention to one person when there are so many around the world that might need his/her/its "talents". I'd suggest if you want to keep the character, that you at least explain how the grim reaper works in your story. At least, if I were reading such a story I'd appreciate an explanation.

That was a bit longer than I intended sweatdrop

Thanks. You've given me a few things to consider. razz

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Whatever ideas you take, always remember to outline your beginning, middle, and end. Details can come later as they will be more natural to write if you have a clear idea of what's Point A to Point B.

Your protagonist has to decide whether or not to die, right? Well, if you know her answer, then you should make her go through events that affect that decision up to that point. Like maybe meeting other ghosts to get their perspective, seeing how people react to comatose loved ones, what both the living and the dead think of the after life or at least beyond purgatory.
Talk_To_Trolls
Thanks. You've given me a few things to consider. razz

Happy to help. Or poke and prod, and maybe use a cleaver if needed whee

I wish you the best with your writing project and hope it turns out well for you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff