Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Free gold!!

Yay!!! 1 100.0% [ 262 ]
Total Votes:[ 262 ]
< 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 674 675 676 > >> >>> »|

Revered Nerd

Orbiting Jupiter

I haven't even attempted a timeline. I'm just so gosh darn lazy. I do however have some detailed notes about my plot so I can vaguely guess what's going to happen. A timeline would be helpful though. Damn you for mentioning it.

Okay so the mermaid one was so drastically different that I laughed really hard and then I proceeded to imagine your second year mixed with your first year which made me invision a mermaid in a space suit fighting off a pirate (no not a space pirate, a Captain Hook type pirate or even Jack Sparrow).

So what are you going to attempt this year?

I'm trying to stay away from my typical Fantasy driven state of mind, and am going with an adventure filled with political strife, war, and feminism. It's pretty much about three kingdoms, one of which has a dying King with no living heir (enter conflict # 1), while the other two rage battle against each other. There's a Lord who wants the throne of the dying king (oh look there's conflict # 2), there's the threat of said kingdom being conquered (not so much a conflict, just a common worry amongst people), people thought to be dead are apparently alive (plot twist/ conflict # 3), there's a band of thieves (coincides with # 3 but only because the re-appearing person and the leader of the thieves are actually the same person- nobody knows this though), and a proper, young, court bred girl who wants to runaway to one of the war striken kingdoms to become a lady knight because the ruler of said Kingdom is a queen who deems men and women equal.

It was the only way I could fit everything in and keep track of everything. And they are very helpful.

Ok, now I kind of want to write that because that sounds awesome.

I am writing the backstory for my MC's from a story I am currently working on. So mostly it is about two separate wars that happen about ten years apart (war in my world happens a lot, I have three wars in the span of twenty years.) and their lives before I stuck them all together in the desert. And since I pretty much have their backstory set in stone for the most part I needed a timeline to figure out what happened to who when.

Sound intruiging and something I would totally read. Is there magic in it?
whimsicaldreamer
Orbiting Jupiter

I haven't even attempted a timeline. I'm just so gosh darn lazy. I do however have some detailed notes about my plot so I can vaguely guess what's going to happen. A timeline would be helpful though. Damn you for mentioning it.

Okay so the mermaid one was so drastically different that I laughed really hard and then I proceeded to imagine your second year mixed with your first year which made me invision a mermaid in a space suit fighting off a pirate (no not a space pirate, a Captain Hook type pirate or even Jack Sparrow).

So what are you going to attempt this year?

I'm trying to stay away from my typical Fantasy driven state of mind, and am going with an adventure filled with political strife, war, and feminism. It's pretty much about three kingdoms, one of which has a dying King with no living heir (enter conflict # 1), while the other two rage battle against each other. There's a Lord who wants the throne of the dying king (oh look there's conflict # 2), there's the threat of said kingdom being conquered (not so much a conflict, just a common worry amongst people), people thought to be dead are apparently alive (plot twist/ conflict # 3), there's a band of thieves (coincides with # 3 but only because the re-appearing person and the leader of the thieves are actually the same person- nobody knows this though), and a proper, young, court bred girl who wants to runaway to one of the war striken kingdoms to become a lady knight because the ruler of said Kingdom is a queen who deems men and women equal.

It was the only way I could fit everything in and keep track of everything. And they are very helpful.

Ok, now I kind of want to write that because that sounds awesome.

I am writing the backstory for my MC's from a story I am currently working on. So mostly it is about two separate wars that happen about ten years apart (war in my world happens a lot, I have three wars in the span of twenty years.) and their lives before I stuck them all together in the desert. And since I pretty much have their backstory set in stone for the most part I needed a timeline to figure out what happened to who when.

Sound intruiging and something I would totally read. Is there magic in it?

That's a good idea. I've never heard of someone doing a backstory for nano, but that's honestly an innovative idea. So what's the story about that your character is originally from if you don't mind my asking?

Here's another more embarrassing question... I've never exactly made a timeline. How do you organize yours? Do you use bullets or so you actually draw out a generic time frame? OR do you do something completely different?

Unfortunately no it doesn't have magic in it. I wish it did, like maybe an underground cult of socerers, but I promised myself no fantasy. The close I'm getting to the use of magic is the nickname the noblemen of the other Kingdoms have gifted her with. They call her the "witch queen" because only a witch could compel men to follow her as a ruler.

Revered Nerd

Orbiting Jupiter

That's a good idea. I've never heard of someone doing a backstory for nano, but that's honestly an innovative idea. So what's the story about that your character is originally from if you don't mind my asking?

Here's another more embarrassing question... I've never exactly made a timeline. How do you organize yours? Do you use bullets or so you actually draw out a generic time frame? OR do you do something completely different?

Unfortunately no it doesn't have magic in it. I wish it did, like maybe an underground cult of socerers, but I promised myself no fantasy. The close I'm getting to the use of magic is the nickname the noblemen of the other Kingdoms have gifted her with. They call her the "witch queen" because only a witch could compel men to follow her as a ruler.

Six young adults who for one reason or another find themselves at the Green Tent Tavern in the middle of a desert. They set out, some with goals other just because they have no where else to go. They end up learning about a war that is being planned by someone and they have to stop it by basically getting everyone to agree to follow them. At some point it shifts away from stopping the war to stopping the bid bad and her team, they then end up becoming gods (temporarily defeat the evil trio) and have to go back to trying to figure out how to stop (well end) the war that has at this point been going on for a few years and has literally reached beyond the ends of the earth.

Quick outline/timeline

0 ~ Start
Various Character's are born, place the already living characters where they need to be.

4 years ~ skip a few years 3-4?
part of character backstory

5 years ~ 1 year
Blah blah attack
what happens to the others

7 years ~ 2 years
more stuff happens
Other character arrives

The first number is the total time passing, the second is the time passing between each thing. I write it out on notebook paper using the red line as the line, with the ~ across it and the first number in the margin.
The content of what happens is written in the lines and is more accurate and specific than what I put there. And notes about it can go anywere but on the left side margin.

Well good luck keeping the magic out of it. It is surpisingly hard to do.
It's NaNo time again! I've been trying to find the time to do NaNo for maybe five years now, but haven't been able to. Seeing as I'll be without television until I go home in December, I might actually have the time to do NaNo.

I'll be working on a project that's been begging to be written for a few years. I already have ~15,000 words, so it's not technically a NaNo novel, but I'll try to do 50k in addition to that, because I can see right now that it's going to be a long one...

Anyone know if there's going to be a NaNo giveaway this year over in the Writing Contests sub-forum?

Shadowy Senshi

[ .days. ]

Anyone know if there's going to be a NaNo giveaway this year over in the Writing Contests sub-forum?

Hi Daisy! And every other name I recognize in this part of the webz (and everyone who I don't as well) :]

I haven't heard anything about a contest thread and I would guess no at the moment if only because there wasn't one last year.

November will be an interesting one for me this year, so many projects and social commitments! Trying to do all my plotting now so that I have a nice guide to follow during the month but I just haven't been able to focus much these last few weeks D:
Morsuaile
Hi Daisy! And every other name I recognize in this part of the webz (and everyone who I don't as well) :]

I haven't heard anything about a contest thread and I would guess no at the moment if only because there wasn't one last year.

November will be an interesting one for me this year, so many projects and social commitments! Trying to do all my plotting now so that I have a nice guide to follow during the month but I just haven't been able to focus much these last few weeks D:

Hi! And bummer about the thread...It was always fun.

And I feel you on the commitments! I'm studying in France for a semester, so while I lack a TV, I don't lack homework in a language I'm not yet fluent in, haha. I have no social life at the moment, though, so unless that picks up (doubt it), I'll have plenty of time to NaNo. Hopefully. I'm pretty sure that the only NaNo group in France is in Paris, though, and I'm six hours away by train. x__x Oh well.

Revered Nerd

@ Morse
Hello!

There were contests in the Nano forum last year. So if the people who ran them return this year there is the possibility.

No chance it could just plot itself is there?

Also an already busy November for me just got busier. We went to the shelter yesterday and got our hearts stolen by a one eyed puppy that we ended up renaming. We are going back once they are open to complete the adoption papers and bring her home.

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
whimsicaldreamer: Well hi there! I'm glad to hear you have a job, but not so glad to realise how hard it is to balance one with NaNo. XD I'm sure you'll do fine though. ^^ Also, PUPPY! I volunteered at the local shelter when I was in North Carolina last year, and hearing about adoptions still makes me very, very ridiculously happy. <3

Morse & Daisy:
Hello, hello there! Yay for friendly faces. =D I've not heard about a NaNo giveaway, but if one doesn't pop up I might make one. I'm pretty tight on the time commitments this semester (I'm working on my thesis currently, and it's killing me...) but I do miss the thread and there wasn't one last year, which was just plain sad.

Feral Lunatic

50,800 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Party Member 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
*randomly pops in*

Last year, Hijinx made a Word of the Day Challenge, using Mirriam-Webster's word of the day. If you could fit them all into your novel by the end of the month, you won a prize. dramallama

If I do Nano this year, I might use the word of the day even if there isn't a challenge thread. It was fun trying to fit them all in. whee

Shadowy Senshi

@Daisy - Woah, France! You must have got the travelbug since being in Turkey =D I have 2 friends who just got to France a few weeks ago to teach English, apparently it's the place to be right now, haha.

@Whims - Puppy! What are you renaming her to?

@PMS - If you do get one going I could probably help out smile I get a fair bit of computer time during my classes which I usually just d**k around online during but I don't think I can check out of class mentally enough to actually NaNo in that time.

@Flea - Oh yeah! That was an awesome challenge! I just remember that the NaNo sub forum got completely locked and deleted on December 1st or so, which meant we lost the whole thread sad

I want to make banners but I'm lazy and don't have images yet, I hope this isn't foreshadowing for November.

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Da Flea
*randomly pops in*

Last year, Hijinx made a Word of the Day Challenge, using Mirriam-Webster's word of the day. If you could fit them all into your novel by the end of the month, you won a prize. dramallama

If I do Nano this year, I might use the word of the day even if there isn't a challenge thread. It was fun trying to fit them all in. whee

I'd love to try something like this though I'd be pretty pedantic about whether the words actually fitted in with my story hahaha

I'm back to a place of not really knowing what I'm going to write about which is never good :/ May need to do some rethinking when I have some downtime/chill time

Feral Lunatic

50,800 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Party Member 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
Morse: It's a good thing to remember for this year. If they make a forum, we should be sure and have all the important data backed up elsewhere. @_@;

Ovadose: It was surprising how many really could fit with my novel. surprised I think there were only a few words I had to seriously stretch for. And it's good for inspiration, because while you're thinking of the right sentence or scene, whole new ideas pop up.

Lonely Lunatic

17,425 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Da Flea

Ovadose: It was surprising how many really could fit with my novel. surprised I think there were only a few words I had to seriously stretch for. And it's good for inspiration, because while you're thinking of the right sentence or scene, whole new ideas pop up.

Hmm I'll have to keep my eye out for it this year then smile And kudos for being the first person to call me "ovadose" instead of "cre8ive" haha dramallama mrgreen

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Morse: I guess now the question is whether to wait and see if they add a new subforum or not. xd I'm always kind of lame in that I hate having my threads moved, haha. I am seriously thinking about creating some kind of thread, though. And I guess, provided Hijinx doesn't want to do it again, we could always either add the Mirriam-Webster challenge to the new thread, or just simply go with that challenge again.

Flea: I loved the challenge though I fell behind with it. My favourite Word of the Day was "patina". :3 That inspired a great scene.

Peaceful Lunatic

Morsuaile

@Flea - Oh yeah! That was an awesome challenge! I just remember that the NaNo sub forum got completely locked and deleted on December 1st or so, which meant we lost the whole thread sad

I want to make banners but I'm lazy and don't have images yet, I hope this isn't foreshadowing for November.

Actually, the forums weren't deleted! I can still access my Winner's Thread from the NaNo forums of last year. So the original thread author can probably get in that thread too.

Well I ran the Winner's thread, but I was still too new around Gaia to be able to afford any prizes for it. And now between Alchemy and Aquariums, I don't always have gold to spare! But I'll probably do that again, with my happy cheering for those who finish.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff