Yay!!! 1 100.0% [ 258 ]
Total Votes:[ 258 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 674 675 676 > >> >>> »|

7,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
NaNoWriMo

Welcome to National Novel Writing Month 2012!

Come on in we love new people. We will answer any questions you might have and help you reach your 50k.

What is it?

NaNoWriMo is an amazing event where you write 50,000 words from scratch in 30 days.
It may be kind of intimidating but if you stay on track it is only 1667 words a day and you have a great community to cheer you on.

What do I need to do?
Sign up for the event at the official site found through this convenient link or at nanowrimo.org.
Once you are signed up you can spend the rest of October plotting then on November 1st you start writing!
Once you have reached your 50k you can validate (and officially win) on the NaNo site, just be sure to do it before midnight on November 30th.

Why?
Because it is fun. Because you can say you wrote a novel in a month. Because you need something to get you started on that story you say you will write someday. Because you want to. Because you want the web badge.
The reasons are almost as endless as the typos.

Ok so where do I write?
On your computer, your notebook, your great aunts doilies, shave it into your cat and your cousin's head. That decision is up to you, find a spot to write and something to write on and you're set.

What is this thread?
This is Gaia online's thread that we as users have set up. Here we talk about our novels, hang out, complain about our novels, plot, hang out some more, word war, cheer each other on, and hopefully get some writing done.

Word War?
Write as much as you can in a set amount of time with anyone else who joins in.
Setting one up is easy, it follows the format of :[minutes of the hour] for [time]
So it would look like this if you want to war at 2:00 your time for ten minutes.
"Do you want to war at :00 for 10?"
We just use minutes because our hours may be different.
You can even change things up and say "Anyone up for 10 at :00?"

~~~~~~~

So NaNo is a little over a month away. What is everyone doing to get ready?

I've got a few story ideas noted and partially plotted out and there'll probably be three or four more by the time I get to November 1st.

What are your favourite ways to prepare for this insanely fun challenge? Do you get involved with your region? Let's get excited guys!!

And feel free to add me as a buddy over on the NaNo site, my user is "Frankleton" smile

Hope you're all having a wonderful day heart -Em

Another NaNo thread that's started up and is a little smaller smile
Journey to 50,000 Words

And here's a link to PMS's off-season NaNo thread smile
Off-season NaNo thread

Tipsy Exhibitionist

I don't do NaNo.

I have 15,000 words ofa novel, from a project that I wrote for school (the goal was to have a manuscript of a publishable standard), and I'd like to finish that and try to get published. So that's what I'll be working on.
I have a drawer full of stories I need to edit and a few I want to write. That's what I'll be doing. Not into this NaNo thing, but I wish those who go for it luck.

Revered Nerd

I am fully plotting out my Nano because this year I actually have to stick to my plan and have a set amount of time that it needs to cover. And I only have one idea, usually at this point I have a dozen I am considering, although it is only September.

Normally I come up with one idea, hash out a basic plot timeline and some characters, then I come up with another idea and do the same so I have two stories plotted out for Nano. I also come up with a sig banner and a cover for the first one, but this year I had someone else make the cover.

I usually hang around the writer's forum, and the Nano thread that usually shows up around the site relaunch. So the official one should show up soon unless this ends up being it, or we get it into the hot topics again this year (not fun).

7,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
whimsicaldreamer
I am fully plotting out my Nano because this year I actually have to stick to my plan and have a set amount of time that it needs to cover. And I only have one idea, usually at this point I have a dozen I am considering, although it is only September.

Normally I come up with one idea, hash out a basic plot timeline and some characters, then I come up with another idea and do the same so I have two stories plotted out for Nano. I also come up with a sig banner and a cover for the first one, but this year I had someone else make the cover.

I usually hang around the writer's forum, and the Nano thread that usually shows up around the site relaunch. So the official one should show up soon unless this ends up being it, or we get it into the hot topics again this year (not fun).

Yeah, I've got two ideas at the moment but I'm feeling the second one more than the first. I've really struggled with sticking to plot lines so I figured I'd let myself have some freedom smile

I started this thread because all the other NaNo ones were locked or something and wouldn't let me post and I wanted to see what people were up to, everyone seems to be in the frame of mind that because calendars still say "September" that October is still ages away, not a few days. Or maybe I'm being hyper-prepared, I dunno.

I don't usually do banners or covers, this year I might if I have some spare time on my hands. Any tips for that?

Popular Member

7,550 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I never Nano. even if November weren't the busiest month of the year for me, I work on projects I already started, some of which are comic scripts.

Revered Nerd

cre8ive_ovadose

Yeah, I've got two ideas at the moment but I'm feeling the second one more than the first. I've really struggled with sticking to plot lines so I figured I'd let myself have some freedom smile

I started this thread because all the other NaNo ones were locked or something and wouldn't let me post and I wanted to see what people were up to, everyone seems to be in the frame of mind that because calendars still say "September" that October is still ages away, not a few days. Or maybe I'm being hyper-prepared, I dunno.

I don't usually do banners or covers, this year I might if I have some spare time on my hands. Any tips for that?

Then I would go with the second.

They are probabbly in the Nano forum from last year meaning they are just archives. And yes, even if October is in two days it is ages off. That is just how brains work. And hyper prepared is coming up with ideas (and planning them out) for the next nano on December 1st.

Make sure they are the correct size? Mine are not very good.
I've never done NaNo. I've often liked to, but November is a month of heavy university workloads and my next couple of years in education are only going to get tougher.

Besides, I have other projects that need my attention.
Good luck to all who participate, though.

Anxious Citizen

I don't do the NaNo, but I will be doing something October. Mainly, finishing re-writing a novel and hopefully sending something out to an agent. That is to say, looking to have something written to a publishable standard and actually trying getting it out there. Best of luck to the writers who attempt a NaNo, though.

Gaian

I have this story I've been messing around with for like fifteen years (seriously, I started coming up with it when I was in middle school). I'm going to go with trying to actually hammer that out for this NaNo because I've never seriously tried to actually WRITE the thing. As such I'm not really doing anything to prepare because I've got piles of outlines and notes and place names and character family trees already.

Revered Nerd

Fifteen years? And you have not written it yet? emotion_jawdrop

Gaian

whimsicaldreamer
Fifteen years? And you have not written it yet? emotion_jawdrop

I know, it's really ridiculous rofl

I mean, I've written OTHER things in that time, but that's still pretty bad.
Lazarus Larkin
I have this story I've been messing around with for like fifteen years (seriously, I started coming up with it when I was in middle school).

I have a story or two like that except not fifteen years and I'm waiting to hone my skills more. I figure by the time I get a few stories published I'll be ready. Hasn't stopped me from writing in those universes, but the big stories are just over the horizon.

Revered Nerd

Lazarus Larkin

I know, it's really ridiculous rofl

I mean, I've written OTHER things in that time, but that's still pretty bad.

I can not hold an idea in my head for more than a few months without writing it or just filing it away and forgetting about it. It's rather impressive that you have kept it around that long, it is also just kind of, just, wow.

Invisible Genius

4,950 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Regular 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Free Birds in the Sky...!
Please Give us the Truth..!
Is there Humanity on Mother Earth?!

I was planning on doing Project Ignition for NaNo, but amongst my prewriting (I want to do a topic to put up my ideas/plans so far for it (and to hype it a bit.) but ain't sure where to put that, especially considering I want return ideas, and maybe a bit of creative discussion-- and the Chatterbox will simply not do.) I realized, I'm unable to prevent myself from actually writing it... Ah well.

If you keep on holding,
Holding dying flowers..!
A soft answer turns away the Wrath!!

RAIN IN VAIN!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items