Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, I'm starting a role play on Figment and I've decided that it's basically about a group of kids(kind of like pretty little liars, but more kids than just 4-5) who live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and are children of judges, lawyers/attorney's, mob bosses, business owners, etc. The town is quiet and peaceful and boring until a murder happens. No one can figure out who killed the person, but the group of kids start getting messages and stuff from someone with just an initial or name signed and it turns out, they might have more to do with it than they, or anyone else, ever thought.

So I thought of a name for the town: Mortale Valle which is Deadly Valley in Italian. Does that sound like an interesting town name?
Yes however you might give your readers the impression that they are indeed in Italy
Haha thanks, that's a good comment, actually. I'll make it clear it's in the US razz Thanks.
LostandMiserable
So I thought of a name for the town: Mortale Valle which is Deadly Valley in Italian. Does that sound like an interesting town name?

No, it sounds like you're trying too hard to make it sound interesting. Most towns generally don't "cool" names. I'd pick something more average.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Maltese_Falcon91
LostandMiserable

No, it sounds like you're trying too hard to make it sound interesting. Most towns generally don't "cool" names. I'd pick something more average.

Place names are almost always a) someone's name or b) lame description of the place (Fishburn means 'fish creek', which just says 'bit of running water with fish in it').

At the 'coolest' you get stuff like the Grand Tetons or some lame p***s euphemism.
Maltese_Falcon91
LostandMiserable

Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump would disagree with you.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Senator Armstrong
Maltese_Falcon91
LostandMiserable

So would d***o.
I_Write_Ivre
Senator Armstrong
Maltese_Falcon91
LostandMiserable

So would d***o.

There's a certain amount of creativity which goes into naming a place Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump that makes it so much mor charming.

Feral Loiterer

I side with Falcon and Ivre about the name.
I would suggest thinking about the geography of the area and giving it a name that doesn't have anything to do with your current plot.

If you are really set on Mortale Valley, then it should have a reason for being named such. For instance, when the town was being settled a group of children disappeared into the valley and never returned.

Thats a silly example, but the point is that if you are going to settle with that name there needs to be a reason for it, because Ivre is right. It usually has something to do with the lame geography. If anything, your town would be named Dry Valley.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Senator Armstrong
I_Write_Ivre
Senator Armstrong
Maltese_Falcon91
LostandMiserable

So would d***o.

There's a certain amount of creativity which goes into naming a place Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump that makes it so much mor charming.

True. Bee Lick might come close.
What if this is what the kids call the town? That opens quite a few doors for the story.

Magical Lover

I_Write_Ivre
Senator Armstrong
Maltese_Falcon91
LostandMiserable

So would d***o.
There's actually a small town in Newfoundland called d***o. :')

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
- L u n a A s t r i d -
I_Write_Ivre
Senator Armstrong
Maltese_Falcon91
LostandMiserable

So would d***o.
There's actually a small town in Newfoundland called d***o. :')

Exactly. Too bad it doesn't keep to its namesake and Boring does.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff