Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maltese_Falcon91
Turnilk
Viruses use the cells of a living thing to reproduce. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they target specific things like that. And if I am correct, the scientists working on it would know that.

Sorry, you're not. AIDS is a virus, and it shuts down your immune system.

Just to be clear: does it specifically target the immune system, or is the shutting down of the immune system more of an unintended byproduct?

I know viruses are not intelligent things, but I'm wondering if it is something like venom which can target specific functions of the body or if it just goes about doing its thing and then "oops this thing is now messed up". I'm pretty sure I'm not saying this in the best way possible, but hopefully what I'm trying to say gets across.
Turnilk
Just to be clear: does it specifically target the immune system, or is the shutting down of the immune system more of an unintended byproduct?

I know viruses are not intelligent things, but I'm wondering if it is something like venom which can target specific functions of the body or if it just goes about doing its thing and then "oops this thing is now messed up". I'm pretty sure I'm not saying this in the best way possible, but hopefully what I'm trying to say gets across.

Well, keep in mind that a virus's main purpose is just to replicate itself as much as possible. Killing the host means no more living cells to replicate in.

So, unintended, I'd say.
Slasher65rm
Slasher65rm
You guys are no fun D: exclaim

Time to rename the forum to: "Biologists not invited." In all jokes, I never planned on writing this. Just thought it was a cool idea!

The forum or your thread? Either way I feel that I should mention that I am no biologist, and no one else said they were. You honestly don't need to be a biologist to know the things that you've been told. Just need to do research.

So, I took an hour or two out of my life to go through and find problems as you asked and it was all pointless? I could have been replying to someone else whom I regularly take an hour or two to reply to instead of wasting my time with you burning_eyes

I do agree that on a basic level it could be a neat idea, however as it is, it needs refinement and polishing.

If you are saying this because you might be embarrassed, I suggest you listen to what Kairi Nightingale said in her post.

And, should you think we are singling you out, I could point you to a few other threads that would easily show otherwise emotion_c8
Maltese_Falcon91
Turnilk

Well, keep in mind that a virus's main purpose is just to replicate itself as much as possible. Killing the host means no more living cells to replicate in.

So, unintended, I'd say.

The way it was written, I thought what Slasher65rm meant was that the virus went after the immune system specifically. It sounded off since I was taught that viruses just go around making more of themselves.

I'll look into it and maybe add in a edit tomorrow or the next day to show the correction.

Thank you Maltese.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces