Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I hate it. Absolutely hate it. It irks me to my grave. English is evolving in a horrible way. I don't get why people do it. People say because it's quicker, but really, is pushing a little less number of buttons really that quick? And why do people need to be that quick. It's not like it's a race to see how fast you can push buttons.

5,550 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
It's not the texting that's making people illiterate, it's the fact that they don't read as much. I text non stop but that doesn't affect my grammar. It bugs the ever loving crud out of me.
You just have to learn to live with it and be thankful that you aren't one of those unfortunate people who can spell properly.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Corrie Wazlib
It's not the texting that's making people illiterate, it's the fact that they don't read as much. I text non stop but that doesn't affect my grammar. It bugs the ever loving crud out of me.
You just have to learn to live with it and be thankful that you aren't one of those unfortunate people who can spell properly.

Overall, actually, it is, because of how habits work. If you're always conscious of the context, it probably won't have the same affect as on someone who doesn't. But that's hwy its so bad: it doesn't just ruin spelling, it ruins people's understanding of the context for when shortening words is appropriate or not.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
I don't believe that texting is making people illiterate. If they don't know how to read and write in standard English, they're not going to be able to text it. neutral

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Super 9-Volt
I don't believe that texting is making people illiterate. If they don't know how to read and write in standard English, they're not going to be able to text it. neutral

Texting is a reason why people forget how to read and write and refuse to learn to do it properly, though.
Cruel Winter Sky
This thread contains roughly the quality of argument and evidence as the average person trying to explain why gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry.

I guess I'll just go invalidate years of studying English grammar and composition by typing "lol" into an SMS message now.

TLDR: you didn't read the whole thread.
Yay! Selective reasoning for the win.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
I am The Compendium
Super 9-Volt

Texting is a reason why people forget how to read and write and refuse to learn to do it properly, though.
I don't see how anyone can forget to read and write. Texting's just another way of doing it.
My phone makes me text with proper spelling even if I don't want to...

and when I go against it's will,
red squiggles appear under my misspelled words and those annoy me way more than spelling errors.

thanks Iphone.
Cruel Winter Sky
I did read the whole thread, actually. What I found was a bunch of people claiming moral superiority because they follow a perceived set of rules and others don't, references to studies with conclusions that don't really make sense and aren't cited, and complaints about an imaginary societal decay which doesn't injure or even in any way affect the person complaining. To be fair, there's not too much good material in the rebuttals either.

Wait. Neither side presents a good argument, so that means you just get to pick which side actually sucks?

Cruel Winter Sky
There are some people who use text messaging services who also have poor understanding of or a clear disregard for formal American Standard English style conventions. That's fact. But 1) I see no reason to call informal or nonstandard style conventions "worse" than formal ones (except on the justification of "it's just the rules," see my reference to anti-gay arguments),

Wow. That's the worst comparison I've ever seen. And I'm only talking about logic.

'Rules' about being gay or anti-gay involve legal laws and arguments about morals.

'Rules' about writing follow standards that reflect ones ability to be articulate and coherent.

By your analogy, either gays learn to be straight in school in order to read straight books and be gay only when its cheaper, or people cna't change that they are born illiterate.

Cruel Winter Sky
2) Occam's Razor: "people who use 'poor' style will use it in all forms of communication" is simpler and involves fewer extraordinary claims than "texting corrupts 'good' style".

This is proof you didn't read anything. Ignoring a report that was cited about China, its a psychological fact how a habit forms, and that kids have turned in text-talk reports because the individual couldn't tell the difference in when it was appropriate.

Not to mention you mean 'proper style' (arguing against that means you're either illiterate and proud or like to be counter culture just to be angry at something). Both of these are easily explained by psychology and need to be nipped int he bud or you will be developing bad habits, both physically and mentally, which CAN hinder your ability to lead a normal life--gay or not.

This is simple stuff that you don't even need basic psychology for. It's called common sense.

Cruel Winter Sky
Oh, and there's such a thing as "hyperbole." I use it sometimes.

Which is odd, as I haven't in this thread. I have pointed out that although its up to the individual to take it upon themselves to be responsible to learn the difference, it has become a big enough problem, despite the source of the stupidity of the individual not having been pin pointed.
Super 9-Volt
I am The Compendium
Super 9-Volt

I don't see how anyone can forget to read and write. Texting's just another way of doing it.

You just pointed out how.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Moral Gutpunch
Super 9-Volt
I am The Compendium
Super 9-Volt

No I didn't. I pointed out another way people can read and write. neutral
Super 9-Volt
Moral Gutpunch
Super 9-Volt
I am The Compendium
Super 9-Volt

China has found that testing does make one forget characters. It's also happen to individuals, such as the girl who tried to turn in a paper written in text talk. While it's an individual things of people who just can't grasp what to remember and why, it does happen.

Likely, while it CAN happen, it's similar to blaming alcoholism on beer.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Moral Gutpunch
Super 9-Volt
Moral Gutpunch
Super 9-Volt
I am The Compendium
Super 9-Volt

China has found that testing does make one forget characters. It's also happen to individuals, such as the girl who tried to turn in a paper written in text talk. While it's an individual things of people who just can't grasp what to remember and why, it does happen.

Likely, while it CAN happen, it's similar to blaming alcoholism on beer.
Don't see a problem with turning in papers written in text talk. If people can't accept a new form of writing, sucks to be them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff