Welcome to Gaia! ::

and not know how your story will end? I've got a great starting idea for a story, but I havn't really planned on how to bring everything together later on in it. I dunno, I'm just known to rush and not think things through sometimes. redface

Rude's Bestie

Cat

Well, it's not particularly wrong, since lots of people do it that way, but I think you may run into problems with direction and motivation if you don't already have a plan in place.
its ok to write a tory w/o a planned ending, i do that all the time, the ending will come naturally later on.
I think as long as you have some sort of direction someway, it's ok. It's a good idea to have some minor idea, but not necessary. HOWEVER... If you have no direction, have a problem with not knowing your characters, don't already have a conflict, etc., etc... Then you're going to run into a problem. You probably need at least two elements of a story to start one.
I'd like to say no, but you'll probably need a planned ending at one point or another. Why? Because without an ultimate finish, your characters will wander around without motivation or reason while you try to figure out an ending. Also, without something to foreshadow to you'll naturally be unable to foreshadow.
ThePompousMan
Also, without something to foreshadow to you'll naturally be unable to foreshadow.

Unless you end up with weird characters like mine who manage to foreshadow without my knowing what on earth is going on. O.o

I'm so character-driven it's scary sometimes, lol... But, yes, I'll have to agree with that statement. Knowing at least point A to point B to point C is probably a good idea, at least, even if one doesn't know the ultimate point Z... But by point M (that's the middle letter, isn't it?), it'd probably be good to know. I was answering earlier on the assumption that the story was just in it's early stages.
I usually find my real ending at about 80% into a story, which is often hugely different to the ending I had at 50%. So yeah, I do it all the time - I won't write directionless, but the where I end up is usually not where I planned, and my direction is usually pretty vague anyway.
this isnt a bad thing to do, as long as you have some direction to follow you should be alright. the ending usually comes naturally for me at aroud the half way point so dont worry if you cant think of one just yet.
Thanks you guys for the insightful comments! biggrin I think I'm going to go back to my planning stage with my story chars and what not and focus more on some sort of planned ending. Maybe so I have something to write toward, but I could still change it ever-so slightly if need be.
well if u dont wanna seem predictable, well yes. certain writers beleive all u do is create characters, put them in a room and record. it can be a combination of all methods. create a problem and see how ur character will do. but when it comes to thrillers, i wud rather know whats going to happen, but im not a fully developed writer and there is so much to learn. like if it is all best to know who the killer is and such... who knows!
Oukia
and not know how your story will end? I've got a great starting idea for a story, but I havn't really planned on how to bring everything together later on in it. I dunno, I'm just known to rush and not think things through sometimes. redface

Not at all. Not everyone writes the same way.
There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with writing something without a plan. I'm writting my third novel and i've never had a plan...some of the best ideas were made on the spur of the momment but if you can make references in the future to the past its a lot more intresting for the read they're just like "oh...so that's why he/she has to seek revenge on so and so" and if u can do that more power to you! biggrin just have fun and run with ur ideas and if you don't like it, its not like its hard to go back and change a chapter or two. =p
I don't think it's wrong to do it that way. it's just that I wouldn't write without an ending in mind... I always start with a beginning and an end and then fill in the middle as I go... but if my way just isn't your style then go ahead and write your heart out! Have fun writing, that's the entire point! Don't sweat it if you think you are doing sometrhing wrong... like spiderqueenkiss said, it isn't hard to go back and change a chapter after you've written it...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff