Welcome to Gaia! ::

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Execute. Or if it's plausible. Hear me out. I actually thought of doing art of this before I thought of the story...
A man goes in for a job interview at an art museum/general museum to be a security guard. When his interview is over he decides he's got nothing better to do so he checks out the museum.
He finds this humanoid statue and is inexplicably drawn to it. There's something he adores about it. He feels it's so expertly crafted and full of life and expression even though it's just a marble statue.
He visits the museum now all the time, visiting this statue, slowly and slowly falling for it in a romantic sense even though it's just a hunk of marble/rock/whatever I haven't thought of the material yet. Thinking marble or stone though.
And he's like whoah this is crazy this is a statue why.
But eventually he gets the call that he's hired for the nightshift and the museum.
And then some Night of the Museum type s**t happens. But only with one thing; the statue. At night the statue turns into a flesh and blood person.
And they have this romance at night because that's the only time they can.
But I'm like 'why does this one statue come alive at night'? I haven't figured that out. I can't think of a reason other than 'curse' but it seems kind of generic.
edit:
I added some things to the story kind of.
Okay first of all this is fanfiction anyway but I don't think that matters.
I have determined I want the sculptor and origin to be unknown. Which I have added in my art, which I will post for the sake of maybe some more ideas.
I've determined he has wings so he's either a cursed angel or a living sculpture, but WHY?
I still don't know.
I need ideas. A reason.
And this is an AU so it really doesn't have to have anything to do with the fandom really.
And so I censored my art for the sake of posting it here because it is a nude statue.

Link 1
Link 2

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Is there a need to answer why?

Have you read Kafka or other more abstract stuff?

Or heck, WHY is there a Narnia? WHY is there Beatlejuice, a genie, trolls, a magic-card-like world full of creatures one can summon into our world by means of a martial art? WHY is the sky?

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I_Write_Ivre

Or heck, WHY is there a Narnia? WHY is there Beatlejuice, a genie, trolls, a magic-card-like world full of creatures one can summon into our world by means of a martial art? WHY is the sky?

Because idk, how plausible is it that 'I'm just a living statue yetp that's all'
I mean didn't Night at the Museum have a reason for their living statues? I've never even seen that whole movie but I'm pretty sure it did. Because no one wants a halfassed answer of 'it just is'

Guildswoman

CAST1EL
I_Write_Ivre

Because idk, how plausible is it that 'I'm just a living statue yetp that's all'
I mean didn't Night at the Museum have a reason for their living statues? I've never even seen that whole movie but I'm pretty sure it did. Because no one wants a halfassed answer of 'it just is'

Night at the Museum required an explanation of why everyone came to life so that they could use that reason, the golden tablet, as a plot device. Somebody steals the tablet (I think, I haven't seen it for a while) resulting in the climatic struggle. Without the tablet, only that scene (and the sequel) would've been impossible, the Museum itself would've been seen as magical, and it would have something more of a Pagemaster vibe to it.

You'll only need a reason if it's going to play a part in the story. Like in Night at the Museum. Or in H.P. Lovecraft's "Dreams in the Witchhouse," there's a inexplicable draw to a statue of a Great Old One, as well as to a star in the Draco constellation, and this ends up being symptoms of him being drawn into madness.

Thing is, I read your response to I_Write_Ivre, paired it with the pretty hunky statue, and kinda geeked out. If the lead learns about it from the statue, then whatever the reason given for the statue's nocturnal life is probably going to be a lie. He tells your lead that he needs a kiss to break the spell and, bam, the lead's caught in secret relationship/spell with an antagonist that no one would believe, so they're alone in breaking free, but that's the story I would write, and probably not yours, so pay it no mind.

But I'm kinda curious, is your lead male or female?

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Jesca Dragon
CAST1EL
I_Write_Ivre

Night at the Museum required an explanation of why everyone came to life so that they could use that reason, the golden tablet, as a plot device. Somebody steals the tablet (I think, I haven't seen it for a while) resulting in the climatic struggle. Without the tablet, only that scene (and the sequel) would've been impossible, the Museum itself would've been seen as magical, and it would have something more of a Pagemaster vibe to it.

You'll only need a reason if it's going to play a part in the story. Like in Night at the Museum. Or in H.P. Lovecraft's "Dreams in the Witchhouse," there's a inexplicable draw to a statue of a Great Old One, as well as to a star in the Draco constellation, and this ends up being symptoms of him being drawn into madness.

Thing is, I read your response to I_Write_Ivre, paired it with the pretty hunky statue, and kinda geeked out. If the lead learns about it from the statue, then whatever the reason given for the statue's nocturnal life is probably going to be a lie. He tells your lead that he needs a kiss to break the spell and, bam, the lead's caught in secret relationship/spell with an antagonist that no one would believe, so they're alone in breaking free, but that's the story I would write, and probably not yours, so pay it no mind.

The lead is actually in those pics I posted. He's a dude. You just can't see his face. He's the one that's NOT the statue
I've done 500 other pics of him before though.
Your idea does sound interesting
But I'm thinking more and more now of him being a fallen angel, punished by being cast in stone for eternity for something he can't remember doing, because it was wiped from his mind so he can never repent for it.
He's able to come alive at night and move around very slightly but not too far from his original spot (i.e, the museum for one, or wherever he is before) He does know he is being punished, just not for what he did. He knows he has the night to be alive and he has to rely on the kindness of strangers to move. I.e he must ask, and they must allow him to roam. But he had never come in contact with anyone at night before.
I'm thinking maybe he was found and passed along until he ends up at the museum.
When he gets to the museum he learns that one of the reasons he's bound to night, is because his true presence would drive a man mad. So not only does he need the kindness of strangers to roam, but he needs to find a person who won't go crazy.
So he drove the first security guard mad and then hid himself at night to avoid ******** up any others.
Security guards keep quitting because they keep hearing him move around and are freaked out by the disappearing statue, but of course, no one believes them. Because that's just crazy.
So the lead finds him one night, by accident as he's making rounds and by chance, he doesn't go mad. Of course, he's been visiting his stone form for some time.
But still, idk why he would be so captivated, and why it would be him that wouldn't go crazy.
I'm still working out the kinks.
Do you have any ideas...?

Guildswoman

CAST1EL
Jesca Dragon
CAST1EL
I_Write_Ivre

The lead is actually in those pics I posted. He's a dude. You just can't see his face. He's the one that's NOT the statue
But I'm thinking more and more now of him being a fallen angel, punished by being cast in stone for eternity for something he can't remember doing, because it was wiped from his mind so he can never repent for it.
He's able to come alive at night and move around very slightly but not too far from his original spot (i.e, the museum for one, or wherever he is before) He does know he is being punished, just not for what he did. He knows he has the night to be alive and he has to rely on the kindness of strangers to move. I.e he must ask, and they must allow him to roam. But he had never come in contact with anyone at night before.
I'm thinking maybe he was found and passed along until he ends up at the museum.
When he gets to the museum he learns that one of the reasons he's bound to night, is because his true presence would drive a man mad. So not only does he need the kindness of strangers to roam, but he needs to find a person who won't go crazy.
So he drove the first security guard mad and then hid himself at night to avoid ******** up any others.
Security guards keep quitting because they keep hearing him move around and are freaked out by the disappearing statue, but of course, no one believes them. Because that's just crazy.
So the lead finds him one night, by accident as he's making rounds and by chance, he doesn't go mad. Of course, he's been visiting his stone form for some time.
But still, idk why he would be so captivated, and why it would be him that wouldn't go crazy.

First reaction: Punishment without knowing the crime seems like a recipe for disaster. It encourages hatred to the one administering the punishment (from the point of view of the punished, all they know is cruelty and pain coming from this authority) or heartbreak (as in, he'll finally overcome the crime only to learn that he did it; one step forward and two steps back).

Fallen angel sounds cool, probably best when going for a mostly visual medium. Whenever I hear somebody say "fallen angel," I think "Lucifer Morningstar." In Paradise Lost, the brightest, best, most righteous and most beautiful angel, second only to God, leads the rebellion against the Almighty. It might be a cliche, but that would be all the explanation you'd need: Your angel is Lucifer, trying to return to the Host.

Again, that's putting a little more of me into it. I know a lot of good stories through The Sandman and a little study in spiritual magic, and I write LBGT so, of course, I wanna make everybody gay.

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Jesca Dragon
CAST1EL
Jesca Dragon
CAST1EL
I_Write_Ivre

First reaction: Punishment without knowing the crime seems like a recipe for disaster. It encourages hatred to the one administering the punishment (from the point of view of the punished, all they know is cruelty and pain coming from this authority) or heartbreak (as in, he'll finally overcome the crime only to learn that he did it; one step forward and two steps back).

Fallen angel sounds cool, probably best when going for a mostly visual medium. Whenever I hear somebody say "fallen angel," I think "Lucifer Morningstar." In Paradise Lost, the brightest, best, most righteous and most beautiful angel, second only to God, leads the rebellion against the Almighty. It might be a cliche, but that would be all the explanation you'd need: Your angel is Lucifer, trying to return to the Host.

Again, that's putting a little more of me into it. I know a lot of good stories through The Sandman and a little study in spiritual magic, and I write LBGT so, of course, I wanna make everybody gay.

You're on the right track buuuuuuuuuuuuttttt
since this is fanfiction, and Lucifer already EXISTS and is a BIG PART in what this is fanfiction of..
I can't make him Lucifer.
I'm likin' what you're goin' for though here.

Guildswoman

CAST1EL
Jesca Dragon
CAST1EL
Jesca Dragon
CAST1EL
I_Write_Ivre

You're on the right track buuuuuuuuuuuuttttt
since this is fanfiction, and Lucifer already EXISTS and is a BIG PART in what this is fanfiction of..
I can't make him Lucifer.
I'm likin' what you're goin' for though here.

Yeeeeeaaah, I'm thinking along the lines of an original possibly-erotic story involving a statue that comes to life. Annnnnd, and doing a quick fever-search for a story with a big part Lucifer role, I'm guessing it's a supernatural TV series that I'm curious about, but don't watch TV, so yeah.

Once again, you'll only need a reason to the magic if you're planning on using it somehow. There's ring wraiths chasing the ring because Sauron made them so. That's all we need.* Likewise, it's an angel. Damn sexy = attraction. The presence of supernal spirits is as hostile to humans as that of infernal spirits, which is why most of spiritual magic involves contracting with earthy spirits like salamanders and sylphs. Also, origins are important to the nature of things. It could remain "unknown" to the viewer, but you can use it to set up the reasons for things behind the curtains.

*All we need, that is, until a story shows how the ring wraiths are made/controlled. Never shown in the movie, but the nine wraiths were made out of the nine human kings given the nine rings of power from Sauron. Point: "I'm a living statue" is all you need if it's a story about a living statue.

But then it's not falling in love with an angel, it's falling in love with a statue, which leads to a whole different situation involving memories of only being a piece of rock, having the sculptor as a first lover, all leading to a completely different story. Also probably not compatible for fanfiction.

High-functioning Noob

Welp, in response to what many have said before me, a singular living statue needs more justification than say, Narnia, because Narnia is easily reasoned as 'going to an alternative universe' which is a common theme, but singular living statues isn't. What would be more interesting to me for the believability of the story would be taking it in the direction of, 'maybe he's a little bit crazy?' He doesn't have to be insane or show any other signs of madness other than believing 100% in his mind that he is having a romantic affair with a statue that comes alive at night via hallucinations or even dreams. Or if that's not what you want, I think the idea of having the ghost of the human that the statue's likeness was made in being attached and inhabiting the statue is more likely. Then at night, the ghost could materialize out of the statue into a full flesh form rather than the stone itself transforming.
Those are just a few ideas but if you really want to pursue a fantastical theme of stone transforming into flesh, I like the idea of 'cursed' or the use of older pagan magic. Maybe the statue did something really horrible in a previous life and is now being punished? Maybe it was unjustly hexed for doing something heroic? Maybe it was the creation of a really demented occultist artist who cast spells on his sculptures?

PS- gonna take a shot in the dark and guess that this is for Supernatural fanfiction? lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff