Welcome to Gaia! ::

Joyous Jubilee's Husband

Invisible Phantom

9,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Person of Interest 200
So, I've been working on this story for the last year and a half and I am so close to finishing it ... but I am beginning to have second thoughts about it and don;t know if I should just leave it and start a different one or finish it and see .... What do you guys think I should do? emotion_kirakira

Dapper Humorist

I you are having second thoughts about it, perhaps it is time to take a break. Working a year or so on one story burns most people out on it. Take a few days to read some other stories, or watch a few movies. Friends are good too. No writer should be without friends. The main point behind this is if you are having doubts on it, set it down and come back to it later. You'll have a fresh view point and you'll be ready to write again.

If you finally decide you don't want to stop, you can always beat the living hell out of it with the editor's stick. Y'know, things like grammar and syntax, plot holes, or just parts that aren't needed.

Joyous Jubilee's Husband

Invisible Phantom

9,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Person of Interest 200
The Sauce Boss

Good advice. Thank you! smile
You could also take it to a editor//publisher, because in the end, when you write it doesn't really matter if you like it- if you want your novels to sell,
it's your audience that needs to like it.

Joyous Jubilee's Husband

Invisible Phantom

9,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Person of Interest 200
SexySailorScout
You could also take it to a editor//publisher, because in the end, when you write it doesn't really matter if you like it- if you want your novels to sell,

True ... well ... I'll see how things go smile Thanks smile
Shadow Delight
SexySailorScout

True ... well ... I'll see how things go smile Thanks smile

Haha, not a problem.
Your best bet does seem to be what The Sauce Boss said;
that probably would have been my advice if (s)he hadn't of gotten here first mrgreen
Finish it. Most writers get to a point where this doubt crops up. Fight it. Push through. Finish it. Then put it away for a while. After that break, edit it. It'll get better.

Rough drafts stink. It's what they do best. Accept that and get this story done! You're almost there. Why turn back? Pump yourself up and get it done. You're almost there. You've go this.

Joyous Jubilee's Husband

Invisible Phantom

9,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Sir Icehawk
Finish it. Most writers get to a point where this doubt crops up. Fight it. Push through. Finish it. Then put it away for a while. After that break, edit it. It'll get better.

Rough drafts stink. It's what they do best. Accept that and get this story done! You're almost there. Why turn back? Pump yourself up and get it done. You're almost there. You've go this.

Good pep talk XD
And I agree with you 100% about the rough drafts.
Thanks very much 4laugh

Anxious Star

If you're having second thoughts you should take a break first.
You should also remember who you are writing for , are you doing it for yourself because it's your hobby or do you have plans of publishing and selling it? smile

Joyous Jubilee's Husband

Invisible Phantom

9,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Irah Leni
If you're having second thoughts you should take a break first.
You should also remember who you are writing for , are you doing it for yourself because it's your hobby or do you have plans of publishing and selling it? smile

Isee your point ... Hmm... I have some thinkin' to do XD

Anxious Star

But I think you should really finish it, you've spent a lot of time in that story already.
You shouldn't rush things though coz I think it would mess with the whole story. xd

Dapper Humorist

SexySailorScout
that probably would have been my advice if (s)he hadn't of gotten here first mrgreen

No, this is what the actual Sauce Boss (aka Harley Morenstein) would say:

have someone else read it, then ask them wat they think, then make the changes to the first part then finish
it

Distinct Conversationalist

I'd just like to point out that... your (potential) commercial audience is not the ultimate judge of how good your work is. You are. And you should have a higher standard than they do.

What you do might depend on how much you have actually written, and how much is just imagined. Either way, it's best to know what's bugging you, so stop and think that through first. Then ask if what you have can be fixed to make it not bug you.

If you already have some written progress, I would favor finishing it. Make some broad notes on how you'll have to change things, and continue as if they've already been changed.

If not, well... ideas are much easier to come across.
The Sauce Boss
SexySailorScout

No, this is what the actual Sauce Boss (aka Harley Morenstein) would say:

Haha, indeed!
emotion_drool emotion_kirakira

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out