Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Ghost

Koduka
Clover_IceQueen
I can't seem to write anything worthwhile. No one likes my work, and I can't find any publishing companies that take work from writers without agents. I have the feeling that these circumstances are the result of some higher power telling me that this is not what I'm meant to do, but it's the only thing I enjoy other than reading. I'm torn crying What do I do?

Look at this self-publishing house: www.xlibris.com
They don't have any agents. No bull crap about changing your stuff. It's all about you and what you want. Suggestion though, you might want to get your stuff copy written first because not all of their packages include them copy writing your stuff for you.
I'm going to use them when I finish my trilogy. My boyfriendis using them right now to publish is series of books. The people are really really nice and they usually get back to you tops 2-3 days.
When you starte the process it might take them a little longer to get a hold of you because they have a LOT of customers that their helping to get published so be patient. It's worth while. wink

Clover_IceQueen
Are you sure it's not a scam?

There's certainly people who aren't happy with them, and when I typed in "xlibris" into Google, the first related search options it gave me down the bottom was "xlibris scam". Personally, I'd avoid it. I'm not saying self-publishing is a bad thing, it's just something I'd suggest researching the hell out of before attempting it.

Also, Koduka, making changes to your story is not a bad thing. A lot of the time, if you have the right editor/beta reader, it can actually help make your story better.

And something is Copyrighted the second you write it. From the U.S. Copyright Office, though you might want to check out your country and it's laws (I know it's the same in Australia at least, in the off chance you're an Aussie).

Unforgiving Phantom

Clover_IceQueen
Koduka
Clover_IceQueen
I can't seem to write anything worthwhile. No one likes my work, and I can't find any publishing companies that take work from writers without agents. I have the feeling that these circumstances are the result of some higher power telling me that this is not what I'm meant to do, but it's the only thing I enjoy other than reading. I'm torn crying What do I do?

They don't have any agents. No bull crap about changing your stuff. It's all about you and what you want. Suggestion though, you might want to get your stuff copy written first because not all of their packages include them copy writing your stuff for you.
I'm going to use them when I finish my trilogy. My boyfriendis using them right now to publish is series of books. The people are really really nice and they usually get back to you tops 2-3 days.
When you starte the process it might take them a little longer to get a hold of you because they have a LOT of customers that their helping to get published so be patient. It's worth while. wink

100% positive. You can talk to one of their representative and ask them whatever you want. The one I know is really really nice and informative, his name is Chad. You can look alover their site as well, they've got a TON of info on there. :]
Don't give up your dream. It's still in reach, you just need a few pointers in the right direction so you can be on your way.

Unforgiving Phantom

the hidden ghost
Koduka
Clover_IceQueen

Clover_IceQueen

There's certainly people who aren't happy with them, and when I typed in "xlibris" into Google, the first related search options it gave me down the bottom was "xlibris scam". Personally, I'd avoid it. I'm not saying self-publishing is a bad thing, it's just something I'd suggest researching the hell out of before attempting it.

Also, Koduka, making changes to your story is not a bad thing. A lot of the time, if you have the right editor/beta reader, it can actually help make your story better.

And something is Copyrighted the second you write it. From the U.S. Copyright Office, though you might want to check out your country and it's laws (I know it's the same in Australia at least, in the off chance you're an Aussie).

Unfortunatly here we have to go to a copy write office and pay for it to be copy written. The government just loves to try and stick their nose into anything they can. D:

Sparkly Prophet

Clover_IceQueen
I can't get an agent. Agents are only for published writers

This is absolutely not true. Do some research and learn how the publishing business works. Then decide if you still want to give up.

Invisible Ghost

Koduka
Unfortunatly here we have to go to a copy write office and pay for it to be copy written. The government just loves to try and stick their nose into anything they can. D:

Do you mind me asking where you live?

Unforgiving Phantom

the hidden ghost
Koduka

Do you mind me asking where you live?

Knoxville, TN in America
Writing is a bloody sport.
If they don't take books without an agent then save some money and hire an agent.
If they don't accept your works then keep working at it until they do.
The only way you're going to get better is to keep writing, if you give up now then you'll have to live with that regret.

Invisible Ghost

Koduka
Knoxville, TN in America

...You realise it is the American Copyright Office I linked in my first post to you that says you've got Copyright the second you write something? While there are countries that do require you pay for copyright before you're protected, America is not one of them.

Here's the link again. Obviously I can't make you read it, but in all honestly, if someone is looking to publishing, or any other creative field, it's something they really should be know about.

To the OP - Sorry for hijacking your thread. This is (hopefully) the last time I'll post here off-topic.
If you like writing, but can't get published, does it matter? You said you enjoy it, is it really the end of the world if you're not published right this second? Keep writing. All that matters is you enjoy it. Maybe your higher power isn't telling you this wasn't meant to be, maybe they're telling you it's not meant to be just now.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
QuarterBlode
Writing is a bloody sport.
If they don't take books without an agent then save some money and hire an agent.
If they don't accept your works then keep working at it until they do.
The only way you're going to get better is to keep writing, if you give up now then you'll have to live with that regret.

Your answer was actually helpful and not douchey like some others. Thank you 3nodding
Clover_IceQueen

Sorry but I can't take you seriously. This just sounds like whining because you haven't even mentioned any factor preventing you that doesn't stem from your own personal failings.

You can try harder, learn more, and grow as a writer through effort. If no one likes your work, you obviously haven't tried hard enough. It's not difficult to get at least a few people to like what you've written.

Also, you say publishing companies won't take your work without representation by an agent. Why not go to an agent then? And why would you even think about publishing if no one likes your work?

Blaming a "higher power" is just an excuse to escape the responsibilities of your failings, which lie with you and you alone. You say you enjoy writing. Isn't that reason enough? If you truly enjoy it, keep doing it and get better. If you don't stop complaining and just quit.
i feel everything you said in your first post. :'(
Clover_IceQueen

You shouldn't choose to ruin something that you like to do just because the perception of others makes you feel inferior.
Truthfully, it's hard to have good criticism as a writer because another writer will hate your work either way. Either they-

a. Honestly hate your work and feel boastful that they can write better or
b. They honestly love your work but feel envious and deny it.

You really shouldn't let what others think about you or your writing hurt your confidence.
Someone will always be better than you, and I honestly am disappointed that you'd let someone's opinion get in the way of something that you love to do.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
howIing
Clover_IceQueen

You shouldn't choose to ruin something that you like to do just because the perception of others makes you feel inferior.
Truthfully, it's hard to have good criticism as a writer because another writer will hate your work either way. Either they-

a. Honestly hate your work and feel boastful that they can write better or
b. They honestly love your work but feel envious and deny it.

You really shouldn't let what others think about you or your writing hurt your confidence.
Someone will always be better than you, and I honestly am disappointed that you'd let someone's opinion get in the way of something that you love to do.

Don't worry. I'm back to writing again.
Clover_IceQueen

GOOD FOR YOU! I'm giving you a solo round of applause right now..lol emotion_kirakira

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
howIing
Clover_IceQueen

GOOD FOR YOU! I'm giving you a solo round of applause right now..lol emotion_kirakira

Thank you mrgreen

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces