Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Clover_IceQueen
xNuclearWonderlandx
Here's the deal, honey: publishing is H.A.R.D hard. There's no way to get around that. It's like just about any creative pursuit - getting anywhere with it takes more time and effort than you'd believe. Tons of people have been writing since they were in second grade, just like you. Tons of people have been working on getting published for years.

You can't just put your hands up and say 'I can't get an agent, obviously I'm not meant to be a writer.' If everyone did that ... okay, if I'd have done that after the 100th job I applied for, I wouldn't have a job now. If everyone did that, nobody would ever do anything. We most likely wouldn't have the kind of technology we have now. See where I'm going with this?

Honestly? It doesn't matter how long you've been working, what does matter is that you keep pushing. It could take years for you to get published - but eventually, one day, you might sign off on that deal, and look back at this point in your life and think 'I wouldn't be here if I'd have stopped writing. You HAVE to keep pushing. If you want it bad enough, you'll keep on reaching for it. There will be times when you won't feel as though your heart is in it. Work past it. If you want it, you'll find yourself doing this.

Moral_Gutpunch has it right on the mark - while there are those writers who 'hit the big time' at a young age (Bret Easton Ellis springs to mind here), there are also those who don't become so established until much later on in life.

If agents didn't take unsolicited manuscripts from time to time, how would anyone ever get published? Think about it. Not every new book hitting shelves is written by an established writer. New writers burst onto the scene. New books get published. There has to be something that allows for this to happen. So there you have it - there is a way in. But the hardest part is always getting your foot in the door, and the same applies to just about anything in life - but once you have, you've made sure the door is ajar and ready for you to open it all the way.

I'll die of starvation before that happens sweatdrop People like me have a hard time getting any kind of job, and getting disablity money leaves you in poverty. I want to be able to make it in this world, but so many things are holding me back especially my own shortcomings.

Okay, hun. Let me tell you something.

I've been on benefits for the past year. I've been on 'Job Seeker's Allowance' - £50 a week. I am up to my eyeballs in debts I cannot pay off, so guess what my first wage packet is going on? Mmhmm. When it comes to debt, I'm on my own - yeah, I still live with my parents (with things like they are, I don't see anything wrong with it - it's just an easier set up than trying to find an apartment). I pay for my own food and will be paying rent. I mean, obviously when it's gotten to the point where it's debt vs. eating my parents have helped me out, but they were hard pushed.

Anyway, rambling, what I'm trying to say is - you have to try for these things. You cannot sit back and claim it's not meant to be because guess what? All you're doing is holding yourself back. You perceive yourself to have shortcomings - you have to move past them. Everyone has to.

I lack faith in myself and feel as though I could lose my job at any moment. This morning, I had a customer on the phone telling me that I don't know how to do my job and shouldn't be doing it. I could have handed my notice in there and then, gone back to living on benefits and live in self pity for the rest of my life because a) I lack faith in my ability and b) someone confirmed to me that I should lack faith in my ability. Did I do that? No. Because damn it, I might not be great at what I do yet, but I will be if I TRY.

Things are possible. You just have to help make them happen.
Clover_IceQueen
I can't seem to write anything worthwhile. No one likes my work, and I can't find any publishing companies that take work from writers without agents. I have the feeling that these circumstances are the result of some higher power telling me that this is not what I'm meant to do, but it's the only thing I enjoy other than reading. I'm torn crying What do I do?

Well, the best advice I can give is to first isolate what it is that people don't like about your stories. Then try and fix it. If you yourself don't have any respect for your own work, well, I don't think any publisher will either. Post some of your old stories and ask for critiques. There are a lot of smart people on Gaia, and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Once your writing has improved, then worry about getting published.

Moral Gutpunch

Talk to this person instead.

If they won't answer, post a thread.

so far the 'high power' that wants you to give up is you.

Uh... that link isn't working.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Maltese_Falcon91
Clover_IceQueen
I can't seem to write anything worthwhile. No one likes my work, and I can't find any publishing companies that take work from writers without agents. I have the feeling that these circumstances are the result of some higher power telling me that this is not what I'm meant to do, but it's the only thing I enjoy other than reading. I'm torn crying What do I do?

Well, the best advice I can give is to first isolate what it is that people don't like about your stories. Then try and fix it. If you yourself don't have any respect for your own work, well, I don't think any publisher will either. Post some of your old stories and ask for critiques. There are a lot of smart people on Gaia, and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Moral Gutpunch

Talk to this person instead.

If they won't answer, post a thread.

so far the 'high power' that wants you to give up is you.

The problem is that I've posted work on here before and someone stole it, so I'm not about to do that again. I'm sure you can understand my feelings about that.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
xNuclearWonderlandx
Clover_IceQueen
xNuclearWonderlandx
Here's the deal, honey: publishing is H.A.R.D hard. There's no way to get around that. It's like just about any creative pursuit - getting anywhere with it takes more time and effort than you'd believe. Tons of people have been writing since they were in second grade, just like you. Tons of people have been working on getting published for years.

You can't just put your hands up and say 'I can't get an agent, obviously I'm not meant to be a writer.' If everyone did that ... okay, if I'd have done that after the 100th job I applied for, I wouldn't have a job now. If everyone did that, nobody would ever do anything. We most likely wouldn't have the kind of technology we have now. See where I'm going with this?

Honestly? It doesn't matter how long you've been working, what does matter is that you keep pushing. It could take years for you to get published - but eventually, one day, you might sign off on that deal, and look back at this point in your life and think 'I wouldn't be here if I'd have stopped writing. You HAVE to keep pushing. If you want it bad enough, you'll keep on reaching for it. There will be times when you won't feel as though your heart is in it. Work past it. If you want it, you'll find yourself doing this.

Moral_Gutpunch has it right on the mark - while there are those writers who 'hit the big time' at a young age (Bret Easton Ellis springs to mind here), there are also those who don't become so established until much later on in life.

If agents didn't take unsolicited manuscripts from time to time, how would anyone ever get published? Think about it. Not every new book hitting shelves is written by an established writer. New writers burst onto the scene. New books get published. There has to be something that allows for this to happen. So there you have it - there is a way in. But the hardest part is always getting your foot in the door, and the same applies to just about anything in life - but once you have, you've made sure the door is ajar and ready for you to open it all the way.

I'll die of starvation before that happens sweatdrop People like me have a hard time getting any kind of job, and getting disablity money leaves you in poverty. I want to be able to make it in this world, but so many things are holding me back especially my own shortcomings.

I've been on benefits for the past year. I've been on 'Job Seeker's Allowance' - £50 a week. I am up to my eyeballs in debts I cannot pay off, so guess what my first wage packet is going on? Mmhmm. When it comes to debt, I'm on my own - yeah, I still live with my parents (with things like they are, I don't see anything wrong with it - it's just an easier set up than trying to find an apartment). I pay for my own food and will be paying rent. I mean, obviously when it's gotten to the point where it's debt vs. eating my parents have helped me out, but they were hard pushed.

Anyway, rambling, what I'm trying to say is - you have to try for these things. You cannot sit back and claim it's not meant to be because guess what? All you're doing is holding yourself back. You perceive yourself to have shortcomings - you have to move past them. Everyone has to.

I lack faith in myself and feel as though I could lose my job at any moment. This morning, I had a customer on the phone telling me that I don't know how to do my job and shouldn't be doing it. I could have handed my notice in there and then, gone back to living on benefits and live in self pity for the rest of my life because a) I lack faith in my ability and b) someone confirmed to me that I should lack faith in my ability. Did I do that? No. Because damn it, I might not be great at what I do yet, but I will be if I TRY.

At least you have a job. Nopony will hire me. Plus, you're implying that I don't try. I do; I just don't succeed.

4,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Clover_IceQueen
xNuclearWonderlandx
Clover_IceQueen
xNuclearWonderlandx

At least you have a job. Nopony will hire me. Plus, you're implying that I don't try. I do; I just don't succeed.

I have a job; after years of trying for anything, after a year on benefits, after hundreds of job applications and no success. Nobody would hire me. A hundred people took one look at my resume, or didn't look at all.

Then, three or four people took the time to look over it. They took the time to interview me, and I made those interviews worth my while. I didn't succeed for a long time. I started succeeding. See what I mean?

What I'm saying is that things won't happen right away. I'm not saying that you don't try. I'm just telling you not to give up. I dare say that you do try damn hard; what I'm trying to tell you is to keep trying, not give in.

I didn't succeed a hundred times. There are plenty of things I did not succeed at. But there are things I have succeeded at.

And positive thinking was key.
Clover_IceQueen
Maltese_Falcon91
Clover_IceQueen

The problem is that I've posted work on here before and someone stole it, so I'm not about to do that again. I'm sure you can understand my feelings about that.

If somebody steals your work, just report them. I don't think you should let one bad apple spoil everything for you. Though if you aren't comfortable posting anything on a public forum, I guess you could just PM a few of your Gaia friends if they'd like to do an in-depth critique. Or try a writer's guild.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Clover_IceQueen

You should quit. Not much sense in wasting time and energy on something you're no good at.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Clover_IceQueen
Fireweed_honey
Rotsab M. Hyolf

Clover_IceQueen

You're right, you won't get published. You. In a few years time, when you're older, more mature, and not hitting every hot-button an agent has (young (I'm assuming sixteen?) and self-degrading) you'll probably fare much better.

If you genuinely want to get published, you can write short stories and find magazines through Duotrope that will publish them. If you want to solicit agents who accept new writers, visit Query Shark to brush up on how to query.

If you just want to sit around and complain that you're horrible writer and God is stopping you from what you love? Yeah, you're probably better off not trying to write. Even if you succeed, you'll probably never make enough money off of it to sustain yourself on that alone.

I'll also add to this: Getting published means WORK. Not only do you need to get your name out there, but don't just send to agents. Seriously, are you editing your work, looking at the reason why they turned you down? How about networking? Good lord, my friends and I aren't published yet, but we network like crazy. Get out and attend conferences, mix with other authors and agents, meet with people. Don't sit back in your room and whine when you're only putting in 1% of the effort.

I'm a editor. What conferences are near Delaware?

Just a quick google search got me
1. Deleware Literary Conference
2. Deleware Regional Conference
3. Mid Atlantic Writer's Conference

And I'm sure there's more if I bothered to hit page two. And it's not just writer's conferences. Sometimes, going to things like Sci-Fi/Fantasy conventions can get you good contacts, or Romance conventions, or anything that you write about. Heck, if your genre is historical fiction, look up historical conferences.
Maltese_Falcon91

Reddit does not like hot-linking, apparently.

Go to reddit r/writng and ask for help contacting authors. Or just contact authors.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

I'm pretty badly dyslexic and so for years I couldn't write even though I had the stories in my head. Because I needed to do something I started studying successful writers and what they did. Finally I discovered that writing on the computer made it click for me and I went through a period of learning and improving the craft. If you can't write now, do something proactive to work on it.

Dapper Detective

4,100 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Tipsy 100
Clover_IceQueen

Well look, if you are really serious about writing, a tertiary or even a more casual course could be beneficial. I also find that my age is an issue -- I'm nineteen, so obviously there's a limit to how mature my writing can be. And like so many things in life, practice is essential. If you do stop pursuing a career in writing -- for now, at least -- then there's no reason why you can't keep doing it as a hobby... which will be more practice cool
A lot of this depends on what stage of your life you're in though.

Friendly Hoarder

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Full closet 200
Clover_IceQueen
xNuclearWonderlandx
Clover_IceQueen
xNuclearWonderlandx

I think the biggest problem you have at the moment is that you are getting bogged down in negativity. Perhaps that's something you can get yourself out of by thinking positive; perhaps it's something you will need a bit of help with. But when you're being given good advice all around, and every post you type only has a reply consisting of "but this is why your advice doesn't apply", you're going to have to accept that there's not much we can really say to help you.

At the end of the day, plenty of people write all their lives and never get published. It's a hard, hard industry. But by far the best way to never get published is to just give up.

I don't have a job. I lost my last one because I have epilepsy and other related issues and I started having seizures every day in the middle of the office. I could sit at home and feel sorry for myself and cry for sympathy from strangers. Okay, some days I do. We all have crap days. But ultimately, all that kind of thinking achieves is that you find new, more pitiful ways to describe your situation, because that's the type of writing you are practising. Instead, you need to go for a walk, get some fresh ideas and air in your head, and start trying to turn yourself around. Because the only way you are ever going to get published is if you keep trying, and keep trying in new or different ways.

Traditional publishers not looking your way? Fire off some short stories or poems to small magazines to get your foot in the door. Look at e-publishing on Kindle. If you can make that work and generate some pennies or pounds, you've got something to show people. I read the blog of a woman rejected by publishers and agents who now makes most of her income from her self-published e-books, and she did it by knuckling down and getting on with it, not garnering sympathy from people on an internet forum.

If you want to get anywhere in writing, you have to have skin thicker than an elephant. Either you toughen up, or you have to put your dreams of publication on hold until you can. it's harsh, I know. I'm sorry it's harsh, because it seems like you're in a bit of a low place. But that's the way this world works, and frankly, crying won't change it.

Blessed Fairy

One way to get published without an agent is to enter writing contests, but you have to make sure they're legitimate first. Magazines like Asimov's and Analog (science fiction) hold contests every year, and Writers magazine occasionally releases a list of the years contests. Your school may also hold contests.

I've been writing since about the second grade too, and I had an essay entered into a contest this year by my English professor. While I didn't win, I did get an Honorable Mention, and my essay will be published around August or September. Something as little as placing in a contest and having your work published as a result can go a long way in procuring an agent. After all, you've been published at that point. wink

Writers magazine also releases lists of agents who work with currently unpublished authors. It's a really good source for finding them as well as learning how to improve your writing. You should be able to get a copy of it at your local branch of Books-a-million or Barnes and Noble.

Don't give up. Getting published takes a lot of work, and you have to be positive. If you say to yourself "I can do this" you'll be a lot more successful than if you keep saying "I can't, I suck, no one will publish this."

Unforgiving Phantom

Clover_IceQueen

Look at this self-publishing house: www.xlibris.com
They don't have any agents. No bull crap about changing your stuff. It's all about you and what you want. Suggestion though, you might want to get your stuff copy written first because not all of their packages include them copy writing your stuff for you.
I'm going to use them when I finish my trilogy. My boyfriendis using them right now to publish is series of books. The people are really really nice and they usually get back to you tops 2-3 days.
When you starte the process it might take them a little longer to get a hold of you because they have a LOT of customers that their helping to get published so be patient. It's worth while. wink

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Koduka
Clover_IceQueen

Look at this self-publishing house: www.xlibris.com
They don't have any agents. No bull crap about changing your stuff. It's all about you and what you want. Suggestion though, you might want to get your stuff copy written first because not all of their packages include them copy writing your stuff for you.
I'm going to use them when I finish my trilogy. My boyfriendis using them right now to publish is series of books. The people are really really nice and they usually get back to you tops 2-3 days.
When you starte the process it might take them a little longer to get a hold of you because they have a LOT of customers that their helping to get published so be patient. It's worth while. wink

Are you sure it's not a scam?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces