Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Poster

if anyone has been ever doubtful about their writing but everyone else around you think that you're an amazing writer and should publish. Is it something with modesty or am I just unaware of potential ability.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Eh, if I was considering getting published, I'd first try to show the stories to people I know 1. have taste, and 2. can be honest. Friends and family usually give blind praise. Some people can't tell the difference between a good and a bad book.
KiraYamiya
if anyone has been ever doubtful about their writing but everyone else around you think that you're an amazing writer and should publish. Is it something with modesty or am I just unaware of potential ability.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that nine times out of ten, it's just them being nice, and that you should find people who are willing to look at your work critically.

Tipsy Vampire

9,650 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
KiraYamiya

are u me
i deal with this all the time
There could be a number of factors. The people around you might be trying to encourage you. If they don't read often or aren't good at it, they not be able to tell good from bad writing themselves. You might actually be a really good write for all we know. Or it could be a combination of these things.

If you ask me, I'll have to agree with others that the most likely situation is either of the first two I mentioned: they might not know what good writing is, or they might just be supportive. Neither of this is really bad thing. You're lucky to have such supportive friends and family who you feel comfortable sharing your work with. But it would be more beneficial to your writing skills if you sought out some people more knowledgeable of the craft and distant enough from you where they can be honest even if it means hurting your feelings.

Chances are, if you're feeling doubt about your own work, then there is something that's bothering you about it that you can't quite pin down yourself. If you're not ready for a harsh critique, try putting your work away for a little bit and come back to it. I do recommend finishing your first draft before doing this but that's just me.

Fluffy Bunny

19,750 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
could be either, people say the same about me XD
I've been writing for years. I still have doubts about my writing. Hell, I know it could be better. I could be a New York Times Bestselling and major award winning writer, and I'd feel the same. I've heard many pro's say the same.

What they're doing is encouraging you. They see you have a passion/hobby and are being supportive. To try to become published is up to you, but it's alway nice to have supportive people around you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff