Well, do you?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 19, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2

Ryiera GunMetalle
Yuzure
Heidi no Lux
There was a big thread in a similiar vein about a month ago, and I was staggered by how many people around were thinking about ******** their characters.

I recommend getting out there and getting a real guy. We tend to be less perfect, but better in out... realness. You know, you can actually do things with someone that exists, and not just think about it.

While I agree that it's a lot more healthy to go out and make real friends, I have to wonder about the trend, and why it exists, and whether we should be surprised.

After all, a great number of writers (professional and otherwise) either write characters based on themselves, or characters that they would like to meet. The latter group often include characters that would, if they were real, be the Dream Boy/Girlfriend.

It's a bit like how far too many people fantasize about other people's characters. In this case, the writer has full control over what the character is like, and how he or she acts.

Alas; a beam of hope shines through the fog of dumbass gaians.

Hark, one more for the counter! Then again, we're the dumbasses who actually have read the stickies, look before creating threads, and know what subforums are for. Oh, and perhaps, you could try to not resort to name-calling. I'm just suggesting this because it could possibly help you look like a better person.

Yuzure, I was refering to the fact that these characters are severly mutilated, and turned into sues and fantasy outlets... You know, feel sorry that they are written by such crappy people. Not that we ever feel sorry for the person.
Yuzure
Heidi no Lux
There was a big thread in a similiar vein about a month ago, and I was staggered by how many people around were thinking about ******** their characters.

I recommend getting out there and getting a real guy. We tend to be less perfect, but better in out... realness. You know, you can actually do things with someone that exists, and not just think about it.

While I agree that it's a lot more healthy to go out and make real friends, I have to wonder about the trend, and why it exists, and whether we should be surprised.

After all, a great number of writers (professional and otherwise) either write characters based on themselves, or characters that they would like to meet. The latter group often include characters that would, if they were real, be the Dream Boy/Girlfriend.

It's a bit like how far too many people fantasize about other people's characters. In this case, the writer has full control over what the character is like, and how he or she acts.

Well writing, any way you cut it, is a form of escapism, so for many it becomes a form of fantasy (not the genre) - myself included, if my life were more interesting I doubt I'd write as much (though when my life gets too interesting writing becomes a good option for a while as well).

So, you're in a position where you control the contexts and characters and such, it can be very tempting to use them to indulge in any needs which you aren't getting in your real life - living vicariously through your creations. So I can sort of see the reasoning behind it - it's the resentment of your own social context, creating the inclination to create social situations which you desire.

Actually, when I first started writing, it was pure living vicariously through my stories. It was always a character like me, and his girlfriend, the girl I happened to be obsessing over at the time. But still I was always able to keep the divide between life and fiction, I knew that wasn't really me and her, because I was all too aware that I didn't have her. So it sort of felt like redundant writing - what was the point when anything I created wasn't actually real? So, instead, I started just writing for the pure enjoyment of it, rather then just the aspects of escapism, and that's when my work started to become interesting.
Jahoclave
Yuzure, I was refering to the fact that these characters are severly mutilated, and turned into sues and fantasy outlets... You know, feel sorry that they are written by such crappy people. Not that we ever feel sorry for the person.

I realize that, and I understand that most of the usual Sue-hate goes to the writers, but oftentimes, it seems as though the Sue-bashing goes against the Sues themselves, who have already been victimized enough.

And here I am, defending the rights of bits and bytes and synaptic pulses. Not a great improvement over obsessing about random fictional people, I suppose.

But I digress.
Heidi no Lux
Yuzure
Heidi no Lux

Well writing, any way you cut it, is a form of escapism, so for many it becomes a form of fantasy (not the genre) - myself included, if my life were more interesting I doubt I'd write as much (though when my life gets too interesting writing becomes a good option for a while as well).

So, you're in a position where you control the contexts and characters and such, it can be very tempting to use them to indulge in any needs which you aren't getting in your real life - living vicariously through your creations. So I can sort of see the reasoning behind it - it's the resentment of your own social context, creating the inclination to create social situations which you desire.

Actually, when I first started writing, it was pure living vicariously through my stories. It was always a character like me, and his girlfriend, the girl I happened to be obsessing over at the time. But still I was always able to keep the divide between life and fiction, I knew that wasn't really me and her, because I was all too aware that I didn't have her. So it sort of felt like redundant writing - what was the point when anything I created wasn't actually real? So, instead, I started just writing for the pure enjoyment of it, rather then just the aspects of escapism, and that's when my work started to become interesting.

Still, I don't see a need for escapism to truely contain self-gradification through your own characters. And I think obsessing over them in place of the persona they were created off of is rather unhealthy.

And to be honest, most writing to a degree has a bit of escapism to it anyways. As quite a few people read to escape into something other than the norm.

And now I can't think of what I was actually going to say, though it seemed profound.

Wheezing Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
xp eew, you sicko! how can you fantasize about something that is entirely make believe?! just a fragment of your over-productive imagination?! groooooss!
Jahoclave
Still, I don't see a need for escapism to truely contain self-gradification through your own characters. And I think obsessing over them in place of the persona they were created off of is rather unhealthy.

And to be honest, most writing to a degree has a bit of escapism to it anyways. As quite a few people read to escape into something other than the norm.

And now I can't think of what I was actually going to say, though it seemed profound.

Well, most hobbies per se are a form of escapism. I've seen it in, say, the RPing I do, whether tabletop or forum or MMOGs. It's all a way to escape being oneself, in the real world, with all of one's real limitations and weaknesses. (Among which may well be the inability to easily find a Significant Other or something.)

Writing just requires a lot more creativity than min-maxing the latest Everquest character or something. (Actually it may not require that much more, but it does involve different aspects of creativity.) And there's always the fine balance to strike between caring about the character too much, and too little. The latter will make the reader indifferent to the character as well, and the former will make the reader feel like a voyeur.
Yuzure

And there's always the fine balance to strike between caring about the character too much, and too little. The latter will make the reader indifferent to the character as well, and the former will make the reader feel like a voyeur.

I think that's the best point that will come out of this thread.
Yuzure
Jahoclave

Well, most hobbies per se are a form of escapism. I've seen it in, say, the RPing I do, whether tabletop or forum or MMOGs. It's all a way to escape being oneself, in the real world, with all of one's real limitations and weaknesses. (Among which may well be the inability to easily find a Significant Other or something.)

Writing just requires a lot more creativity than min-maxing the latest Everquest character or something. (Actually it may not require that much more, but it does involve different aspects of creativity.) And there's always the fine balance to strike between caring about the character too much, and too little. The latter will make the reader indifferent to the character as well, and the former will make the reader feel like a voyeur.

And alas, I remember what my profound point was, your first paragraph.

But insofar as much as caring for a character goes, a lot of caring for the character has to be atributed to caring for writing a good story more than caring about the character as a person.

Wheezing Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
xp boo, this is a boring thread. nothing good will come of it, not even time worthy entertainment (for very long anyways). so i bid you all a good night! may you all have noob-free dreams! adieu!
Of couse I do thats all i write about FOOLS!! scream
Cutie D
Of couse I do thats all i write about FOOLS!! scream

Case-in-point. stare
Yuzure
Heidi no Lux

it's vanity and masturbation

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces