Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Prophet

I'm the same way, and I find the only way for me not to give up on a project completely is by juggling through more than one at the same time. It may not be the most efficient, but it keeps me from dropping something forever and at least at any given time I'm working on one of my stories.

Prophet

ProjectLazy
I have a similar problem. I tend to write it in my end before I put it on paper but then get bored cause I know the story already.

Well, you may know how it ends if you write the ending first but getting there can still surprise you. Even if you know how a scene plays out you may find that the manner in which it does wasn't the way you expected.
Knowing the end is good, since it stops you from writing off on a tangent, but if you keep writing you might just surprise yourself.

In the end, finishing a piece of work, especially one as long as a novel, is a matter of persistence and self-motivation.

6,150 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gaian 50
I don't quite have the same problem as you do, because I tend to get the idea for a story by sort of thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if someone ended up doing this after a long struggle?" and it's the basis for my story. I usually don't get to finish them because I already know how it ends and the beginning is slow and the middle is tedious. XD
When writing a lengthy piece, its like taking a marriage vow or having a very needy child. You have to give the piece some love and affection and you can't dread working on it. Once it is viewed as work its no longer fun and you will want to work on something new, something exciting and something that does not taste like work.
The above are all very good ideas. When you start to lose interest throw a new character in there or put an action scene.
Sometimes I right completely unrelated scenes just to get my characters fresh and willing to work. This gives you a feel for them again and you can bond with them without having to force them to follow a plot line.
And sometimes its just not meant to work. Scrap it and grab something new.
Otherwise, stick to short, sweet and to the point.
In the end, its will power that will make you get through it.
Same here!!
At the risk of ridicule ( sweatdrop ), I'll admit that a trick I use quite often is to listen to relevant music that I really feel inspired by and try to envision a music video with the scenario I'm supposed to be writing. Alot of times I'll see something that I'll be inspired to try and write, and once I've started writing then I can get back to being serious. Drawing sketches or imagining it as a live action movie or comic book really helps, too.

Another thing I'll do is skip ahead twenty years and write some fluff about what my characters are doing with their lives, or write a fluff romance plot on the side. I don't ever let those things leak into the main story, but it gives me a better feeling for who my characters are and helps me alot when I'm stuck or feeling bored and lazy with them.

The final thing is that I always skip around. One day I'll work on the beginning, another day I'll be doing the ending, another I'll realize that I have a huge void that needs filling and work on that. Once I've got what is the makings of a full story written down, then I have a reward waiting once the chores of editing and revision are done--- a finished novel with my name on it. 3nodding

Conservative Friend

4,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Sir Icehawk
The following is generic advice. If you can tell us more about how you do thing and all, we can give more specific stuff.

Start with shorts. Work up to a novel. Build up that discipline to stick to a project and finish it.

If you don't outline, outline.
If you do, maybe don't go into as much detail. Give yourself a general direction and a few key points along the road.

You could also set up a rewards system. You set a daily goal. If you accomplish it, you get something you want, do something you want, or whatever. Example: Goal 1000 words a day. Reward: bowl of that ice cream you bought. Could also throw in a punishment like no TV on days you fail.

Main thing is to focus on writing one peice at a time. It's okay to make notes about a story, but you have to finish the piece you're on. Use those other ideas as motivation to complete one project. If you waver, tell yourself that if you don't focus you'll never finish this story. If you never finish this story, what will stop you from giving that great idea the same treatment? Then get back to work. wink

This^ and keep going and don't give up on your work! Start with short stories like he said and work yourself up to novels. You'll get better at it and feel more positively motivated and inspired!

Friendly Informer

3,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Informer 100
Sir Icehawk
The following is generic advice. If you can tell us more about how you do thing and all, we can give more specific stuff.

Start with shorts. Work up to a novel. Build up that discipline to stick to a project and finish it.

If you don't outline, outline.
If you do, maybe don't go into as much detail. Give yourself a general direction and a few key points along the road.

You could also set up a rewards system. You set a daily goal. If you accomplish it, you get something you want, do something you want, or whatever. Example: Goal 1000 words a day. Reward: bowl of that ice cream you bought. Could also throw in a punishment like no TV on days you fail.

Main thing is to focus on writing one peice at a time. It's okay to make notes about a story, but you have to finish the piece you're on. Use those other ideas as motivation to complete one project. If you waver, tell yourself that if you don't focus you'll never finish this story. If you never finish this story, what will stop you from giving that great idea the same treatment? Then get back to work. wink

infect
I'm the same way, and I find the only way for me not to give up on a project completely is by juggling through more than one at the same time. It may not be the most efficient, but it keeps me from dropping something forever and at least at any given time I'm working on one of my stories.

These two posts pretty much sum up what I do when I lose motivation and get distracted and / or feel like scrapping on the current piece I'm working on. Since I don't want to repeat advice, I'm just going to say - don't lose hope! I know you can do it, it just takes a bit of persistence.

Darkesu's Darling

Its best to sometimes take a break and go outside to get ideas flowing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff