Welcome to Gaia! ::

Smoker

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I can never seem to complete them. I get an idea, get a bit in and eventually do other things and forget about it.
The longest story I've ever written was supposed to be novel length, I got to 134 pages.
Does anyone have any advice? It's not writers block.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Plan, organize, push yourself, and try writing shorter stories. Don't get caught up in pagecount.
The following is generic advice. If you can tell us more about how you do thing and all, we can give more specific stuff.

Start with shorts. Work up to a novel. Build up that discipline to stick to a project and finish it.

If you don't outline, outline.
If you do, maybe don't go into as much detail. Give yourself a general direction and a few key points along the road.

You could also set up a rewards system. You set a daily goal. If you accomplish it, you get something you want, do something you want, or whatever. Example: Goal 1000 words a day. Reward: bowl of that ice cream you bought. Could also throw in a punishment like no TV on days you fail.

Main thing is to focus on writing one peice at a time. It's okay to make notes about a story, but you have to finish the piece you're on. Use those other ideas as motivation to complete one project. If you waver, tell yourself that if you don't focus you'll never finish this story. If you never finish this story, what will stop you from giving that great idea the same treatment? Then get back to work. wink

Smoker

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Sir Icehawk
The following is generic advice. If you can tell us more about how you do thing and all, we can give more specific stuff.

Start with shorts. Work up to a novel. Build up that discipline to stick to a project and finish it.

If you don't outline, outline.
If you do, maybe don't go into as much detail. Give yourself a general direction and a few key points along the road.

You could also set up a rewards system. You set a daily goal. If you accomplish it, you get something you want, do something you want, or whatever. Example: Goal 1000 words a day. Reward: bowl of that ice cream you bought. Could also throw in a punishment like no TV on days you fail.

Main thing is to focus on writing one peice at a time. It's okay to make notes about a story, but you have to finish the piece you're on. Use those other ideas as motivation to complete one project. If you waver, tell yourself that if you don't focus you'll never finish this story. If you never finish this story, what will stop you from giving that great idea the same treatment? Then get back to work. wink

That sounds good.

Smoker

4,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Thanks both of you. heart

Amateur Lunatic

10,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
Wish I could help, but i have the same problem. I'm bipolar, so I get manic and start a lot of projects, then it's gone, and I lose the motivation.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
I recommend what Sir Icehawk said. Start off with short stories and push your way to the top.
Just don't think about it.
Quit being a quitter. You then will be able to finish writing a piece.

This advice is definitive.

Unsealed Dabbler

Aside from Icehawk's advice, which is definitely good, you could try having a couple of projects going at once so that if you get tired of one you can work on the other.

Dedicated Entrepreneur

I have a similar problem. I tend to write it in my end before I put it on paper but then get bored cause I know the story already.

Shy Seeker

9,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Well, everyone above me is giving good advice so I won't repeat it
but, just a little note, whenever i start to get not bored but.. "lacking energy" for a story, I always listen to music that I can have it relate too. picks everything right back up then & sometimes promotes more thoughts/plot ideas

Friendly Fairy

Good advice above. ^^
HHmmmm.....Ok I reckon you're familiar with the feeling of "I can only write rubbish" on some days, that lack of energy and the words not coming to you?
Write it down anyway. Just splash some words on the page and don't re-read as you go. Just keep writing. You may be surprised with the ideas you can work with that come from "rubbish writing" heart

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
Don't dump them completely. Just store them away for a bit and come back to them later on when you get a fresh idea on how to continue.

Lunatic

I_Write_Ivre
Plan, organize, push yourself, and try writing shorter stories. Don't get caught up in pagecount.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff