• Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Tympest
DarknessofHeavenandDreams
Tympest
I_Write_Ivre
Rotsab M. Hyolf

I'm not even sure what this topic is looking for. The original stories are cliche and boring

They were also chock full of symbolism.
While I disagree with Rotsab, I'm not sure that our OP here would bother with the originals' symbolism given that it seems they're looking to deviate from the originals but not so much as to actively change stuff.

I think he has to choose one.
Weather to stick with the originals or actively make changes? Or are we talking about points of symbolism? I would tend to agree that OP has to make a choice about changing or not, and I'm much more interested in seeing what changes are made in modern retellings.
I meant your point.

Also, I'm wondering why it's a tower when, again, those are an prettied-up version of an asylum or nunnery.

Unsealed Dabbler

Rotsab M. Hyolf

Fair enough! I haven't really seen anything that made it look as though the OP wanted to reinvent the fairytale.
I'm not talking so much reinventing the story as a retelling, something that makes changes based on differences in society now versus then, or maybe make it a "what if" story and try to figure out what would have happened if something had been skewed somewhere along the lines.

Like I_Write_Ivre said, maybe the evil witch was completely justified in taking the baby because her father stole the turnips and she was going to need help around the house. Maybe she only put the kid in a tower to protect it from the villagers who were after her for "stealing" one of their neighbors kid despite his making a deal to save his own skin. Maybe the kid is stuck there because the good villagers killed the evil witch who'd raised her and she was just waiting for mom to come back or afraid that they'd do the same to her. Just writing off the top of my head there.

Unsealed Dabbler

I_Write_Ivre
Tympest
DarknessofHeavenandDreams
Tympest
I_Write_Ivre
Rotsab M. Hyolf

I'm not even sure what this topic is looking for. The original stories are cliche and boring

They were also chock full of symbolism.
While I disagree with Rotsab, I'm not sure that our OP here would bother with the originals' symbolism given that it seems they're looking to deviate from the originals but not so much as to actively change stuff.

I think he has to choose one.
Weather to stick with the originals or actively make changes? Or are we talking about points of symbolism? I would tend to agree that OP has to make a choice about changing or not, and I'm much more interested in seeing what changes are made in modern retellings.
I meant your point.

Also, I'm wondering why it's a tower when, again, those are an prettied-up version of an asylum or nunnery.
Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying.

Towers are more impressive? I would tend to think that it makes the hero seem more heroic if he's got to fight a dragon and maybe navigate some kind of magic traps rather than talking his way around nuns or attacking an asylum. It could make for an interesting thing if the writer pulled a Sucker Punch and the whole thing took place in an insane asylum, that could explain some of the older fairy tale tropes being used or character behaviors.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff