Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Just curious about how you guys write your stories. Whenever I write fiction, I always found it super boring to just describe what is happening when looking at a picture/video will do a better job. So I make my narrator a character in the story, so it felt more natural to write his/her thoughts on the situation. This makes exposition and descriptions alot more fun to write and read for me. Most written stories I read and enjoy are usually a narrator as a character. Even if I listen to a narrator explain whats happening in a show, game, movie, etc. At least they make the narrating fun to listen to like in Bastion.

Business Cat

I find I'm not the kind of person who likes to get strung up on descriptions, and prefer to describe something in one or two sentences. That way, I can usually write something witty instead of being overly wordy, and liken it to the narrator's voice. It allows me to get away with a lot, because if an audience looks at the object through subjective opinion instead of objective description, they can also liken it to what the character thinks of it too.

I also tend to lean towards writing in present, active tense. I feel it's much more engaging, and keeps my own interest locked on what's happening when I'm going over my work. It also adds a subtle tension I don't think past, passive tense can create, which especially helps when you write hardboiled crime fiction.

Aged Prophet

6,925 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
I seem to have a lot of dialogue. Description is mostly used to set the scene and gives stage direction for blocking and movement. I should probably be writing scripts instead of prose. For NaNoWriMo I will force myself to give more focus on detail because it's very difficult to get 50,000 words out of dialogue.

I usually write in past tense. I tend to follow around a single character per chapter. We don't always get to know what they are thinking, but we see what they see.

Ruthless Lunatic

With my WiP, the entire story is told through the main character in first-person voice, with what is going on around him and what his senses tell him about his surroundings. As far as tenses go, depending on what's going on it's present or past tense...my wife said that the way that is set up reminded her a lot of Slaughterhouse Five in that respect.
There is a fair bit of dialogue in my WiP--kind of hard to avoid with the main setting of the story (the main character is almost never alone--and not because he's the sort who loves company all the time) but I also like to use it as a way to bring up things that the main character didn't notice.

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Leloi2
I seem to have a lot of dialogue. Description is mostly used to set the scene and gives stage direction for blocking and movement. I should probably be writing scripts instead of prose. For NaNoWriMo I will force myself to give more focus on detail because it's very difficult to get 50,000 words out of dialogue.

I usually write in past tense. I tend to follow around a single character per chapter. We don't always get to know what they are thinking, but we see what they see.

Dialogue is what I'm very heavy with when I write scripts or scenario. In fact I once pitched to my group that making our short film a dialogue focused story with stylized editing would be a cost effective and entertaining thing to do. Sadly I don't think anyone understood or even saw Hot Fuzz/Monogatari to know where I was getting at.

Super Streaker

i don't write first-person very often, but when i do, i focus more on thoughts and feelings really. i don't describe things much, i used to be super bad at that, but now i'm better.

it usually depends on what i'm writing, what style or feeling it needs. is it comedic? is it dark? romantic? usually if it's romantic, i'll have a good number of run-on sentences. if it's comedic, i try to make it as funny as possible (with a bunch of dry statements and witty stuff) without making it crack.

all-in-all, i pretty much adapt to whatever i'm writing and just make sure i get into that frame of mind before writing it.
The way I describe everything always gets really hokey and pretentious-sounding. I just get super into nailing the atmosphere, not just with visual descriptions, but finding just the right way to describe how the characters are acting and what the protagonist is thinking. It isn't intentional, and I'm trying to loosen my style up a little, but I guess I'm just a big ham. It's embarrassing.

I like playing around with different styles of narration. Lately I've gone back to using first-person, because it helps me cut down on the flowery descriptions, and I like finding my narrator's voice.

Trash

my writing style is a veritable mess.

first of all, i like to do a lot of crazy things that most writers will tell you not to do. i abuse run-on sentences to mimick my characters' thought processes (e.g., when they're nervous, panicked, excited, etc.) or when the mood is tense and i want to drive a point home. then, vary it with a bunch of short, choppy sentences— sometimes with questions, sometimes sentence fragments, sometimes single words. line break a few times and wrap it up with a closing statement. i also like to get playful with footnotes sometimes (not often, but often enough) and occasionally i'll go off into barely related tangents in brackets. it all depends on what i'm writing, i guess. the more intense the scene, the more i like to experiment.

i usually default to third person when i write, but... truth be told, my favorite pov to write in is actually second person. there's something beautiful about it that lacks the occasional awkwardness of first person and the impersonal feeling you sometimes get with third. it's sort of like having the best of both worlds.

as for the content of the narrative itself, i definitely inject a lot of my characters' voice into every sentence. it's just boring to write otherwise for me. i don't spend a long time on descriptions— i prefer to give an impression and let the reader's imagination run with it. i'm not really a detailed person anyway, i care a lot more about evoking an emotion than creating an image. and that really characterizes my work i think— i think my style is kind of chaotic and vague, but where it lacks in direction and precision, it makes up for in pure emotional force. but that's just me. sometimes i like the way i write, sometimes i can't stand it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff