Welcome to Gaia! ::

Alberic of Krufton
Moral Gutpunch
Another problem (I've read far to much of this in college, including required reading) was the attitude of the writer.

Most of it made it obvious that it was metaphorical (or sometimes literal) masturbation that they expected praise over. Or extreme bitching. The required reading was 'everyone's ruining the world, no one appreciates stuff anymore, the government sucks and that's why I don't' vote' plus glorying Thoreau as the only person who understands and loves nature.
This is part of the reason why I dropped out of college twice. Hated that sort of nonsense and how easily it proliferated in that kind of atmosphere.

Strong plot, strong characters, no overt / obnoxious preachery and agendas... That's a good book, right there.

"Overt / obnoxious preachery and agendas"?

Edit:
Ah, never mind, I read the rest of your exchange with Mr. Gutpunch. So you have a problem with novels that push themes?

5,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
LadyNaena

Edit:
Ah, never mind, I read the rest of your exchange with Mr. Gutpunch. So you have a problem with novels that push themes?

Depends on the theme. Does is make sense or did the author shoot themselves int he foot and/o put that foot in their mouth?

How 2x4 is the theme?
DarknessofHeavenandDreams
LadyNaena

Edit:

Depends on the theme. Does is make sense or did the author shoot themselves int he foot and/o put that foot in their mouth?

How 2x4 is the theme?

2x4?

Edit:

Ah, je vois maintenant. Alright, cool. I'll keep that in mind as well.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
LadyNaena
LadyNaena

Edit:

How 2x4 is the theme?

2x4?

As subtle as one, especially when hit with one.
I_Write_Ivre
LadyNaena
LadyNaena

Edit:

How 2x4 is the theme?

2x4?

As subtle as one, especially when hit with one.

Lawl. Okay, god it biggrin .

5,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
I usually read 100 pages into it before I decide it's not for me. That is, if I've already checked it out or something.

Dapper Dabbler

LadyNaena
Gigue! Long time, no see ^_^. No worries, your post was quite helpful smile . I especially like the paragraph about characters. I'll keep it in mind 3nodding .

Indeed! When I saw the thread was yours, I had to swing by, heh. I'm glad the post helped out! Characters are kinda my specialty, heh. How've you been?
Once I start reading I usually have to finish gonk
But when I'm really busy I only give a book two chapters

Unsealed Phantom

13,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
1st chapter. If I'm hooked by the last page in that chapter I will go on reading. But if I can't even get midway through it I have to put the book back on the shelf.

Dangerous Hunter

6,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Note: This is my opinion before reading your novel.

Here's what I've learned after doing some research into publishing. If you're starting right off with your first chapter (no prologue) then that's the only chance you have. Depending on the length of the chapter you have about five to ten pages to convince the reader to maybe read the rest of the chapter. And that first chapter needs to have your reader hooked if you ever want them to continue. Your first line needs to be a hook, line and sinker. Otherwise you can forget it.

Now prologue are actually really rough waters. Prologues should only be in a book if it serves an actual purpose. Like, a little bit of backstory or something about one of the characters. It has to be something other than just random fluff. And a great way to figure out if your prologue serves any meaning to your story is by taking out the prologue and seeing if the book stands on its own without it. If it does, toss the prologue. It's unnecessary. If it doesn't, keep it.

For me when I go shopping for new books to read I usually read the first few pages and then decide if it's interesting enough to continue onwards. I rarely ever read the whole first chapter in a book store. If the book doesn't capture my interest in the few first pages I put it back.

Toothsome Citizen

Usually, I give the story until the first or second chapter. By then the plot has gradually begun to work its ways. At that point, I will have decided whether or not to continue.
Generally the first two-three chapters. If I'm not enjoying it by then, I usually just find something else to read.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff