Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Codger

Marshmlow1
Roleplaying has it's pro's and cons.

The pros, it can keep you on your toes, and make you have to think in different ways, and sometimes force you to create a plot of your own. And can, at times, help you write a lot more than you usually could. Because as someone said, the more you write, the better you can get.

But the obvious cons are, sometimes it's completely over descriptive, and you have those "advanced literate" role-players that do that. Along with the fact, you are having to depend on other people to help a plot progress forward. And the fact that some of the time, there's no plot at all, and you sometimes get cut off, and you have to either edit or delete what your character was going to say. Also, there sometimes tends to be like 3 different things happening in 3 different places at once. So it can hurt your story writing skills, especially because a story for an RP works better as an RP, than an actual story.

My good sir, you do deserve a tip when I am done typing.
To build on what this gentlemen said, the biggest problem with the RP community is that everyone wants to be that special snowflake. Because in their minds they are the main character and the story revolves around them and not the group of people they should be working with to build a story.

One of the biggest problems to date is actual relationship building. Guaranteed ten pages in to most gaia role-plays two characters are already in love. There is no real character relationship building, one character will find someone and pretty much lock it down. So that for the next fifty plus pages the entire plot between the two is nothing but their love story.

Writing everyday is what anyone who wants to be a writer should do. But for me, role-playing just frustrates.

Because everyone seems to have their character live outside the reality that we are supposed to be creating. While I'm stuck in playing by the rules known as commonsense.
The advance lit thing has been covered. And that is my only other gripe about the RP community.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I find it extremely difficult to find a middle ground between 'special snowflake' rpers and 'just for money' rpers.

'Special snowflakes' aren't just attention hogs and walking plot detours, but I've never met one whose character didn't hate anyone who didn't agree with them completely.

On the other hand, 'just for money characters ALWAYS want to work on video game logic of the plot will never move without them so its fine to spend two weeks on a side quest instead of treating anything with a sense of urgency.

Feline Kitten

1,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I have no problem roleplaying my writing. It is fun also.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

I do it with one person. It started out to be for shits and giggles but we actually developed a major story line and set of characters that we will probably actually write as a book.

Trash

What do you think about RP writing? Do you like it? Are you an RP writer, too? Or do you not like it and don't understand it? Are you in an RP right now, or have you made one?

Have you heard of Barton Town (roleplaying)?

Do you think that RP-ing has helped or hindered your writing skills? Do you ever get the feeling that RP-writing is too addicting or has drained your writing abilities?

What's some things you hate about RPing, and what's some things that you love? (if you've RPed here or elsewhere).

What are some RP-writing tips, if you have written for one before?

I actually do like roleplaying. It's fun to interact and write a story with someone on a post-by-post basis. But it's difficult to stay interested, which is why I don't do it anymore.

My lack of love for roleplaying is most likely a result of my lack of skill as a writer. I don't like era roleplaying and I don't like long, convoluted plots. I don't feel like I'm creative enough even when it comes to characters.

I was never in any esteemed roleplay guilds or groups. It was always for fun with my sister or closest friends, and we just winged it all the time in terms of plot.

Yes, I've heard of Barton Town.

I was always under the impression that roleplaying was great practice for writers and it even helped them get to know their characters more, so... I don't know who would say that it affects your writing.

Heroic Hero

9,550 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Chatty Member

I love roleplaying, it always cures my writers block. smile

Interesting Autobiographer

11,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Generous 100
Back in high school, my friends and I were such writing freaks, that when we wrote notes to each other they were in story roleplay form. I loved it. It was a great way to practice my writing at the time.

Magical Lover

I found that it always helped me get back into the habit of writing after hitting a block. Of couse, this was always 5 years ago, when I had a friend on here that roleplayed and wrote constantly.
I have mixed feelings about RPing. On the one hand it's fun and and all but on the other hand it always nags at me that at the end of the day it's not meant to become something more. As in, no matter how good the writing is it's not going toward something solid like becoming a book or a comic etc. Some do become those but most are tossed aside when the site or topic hosting the RP are and...I dunno, I find it a little sad I guess sweatdrop .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff