Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm curious as to what Horror writers are writing these days. I'm a horror writer myself (mostly vamp horror). I'm just curious as to what sort of horror you people write.

For Horror readers, I'm looking for some new books to pick up, any recomendations would be super! Tell me a little about the book too! biggrin
I like to write horror a lot... my favorite horror book being "It" by Stephen King. It's awesome. If you haven't read it you should. I would assume you already know what it's about. Some other books that are good are The Shining, Rose Madder, Necronomicon.. First two being by SK and the last being by Lovecraft.
I don't like vampire novels anymore, I stopped reading Anne Rice books because so many people are trying to copy her work. I write all genres, whatever I feel like but when it comes to Horror then I mainly write about things that deal with the mentally ill and unexplained things such as the question if everyone sees the same color the same shade of that color. People think "That's not morbid" but I like to show another side of horror then just "gore and guts" though that is good for horror, it's not the only way to make a horror novel and it shouldn't be what you make the whole story about. This is why I like "Donnie Darko" so much

Wheezing Lunatic

7,250 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
biggrin a true horror read? xd pick up some of the fanficiton that people submit!

surprised or check out Lovecraft.

Quotable Autobiographer

6,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I don't read much horror- Stories that contain blood and gore are fun to read, bu I don't read stories simply to be scared. You want realy horror? Go back to the basics- Dracula left me sleeping with a cross for nights.
The April Puppet
I don't like vampire novels anymore, I stopped reading Anne Rice books because so many people are trying to copy her work. I write all genres, whatever I feel like but when it comes to Horror then I mainly write about things that deal with the mentally ill and unexplained things such as the question if everyone sees the same color the same shade of that color. People think "That's not morbid" but I like to show another side of horror then just "gore and guts" though that is good for horror, it's not the only way to make a horror novel and it shouldn't be what you make the whole story about. This is why I like "Donnie Darko" so much

I'd be interested in seeing some of your horror writing.
I am a -huge- Stephen King fan. I recently got a tattoo based on his Dark Tower series. I used to be very into Anne Rice as well, until she published her last two books and ruined the Vampire Chronicles forever.
The scariest book I've ever read is easily <i>House of Leaves</i> by Mark Z. Danielewski. That thing terrified me, and it's not even really a "horror" novel. Gave me terrible nightmares, too. For those of you who don't know, it is essentially a book about a house that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. (Actually, it's a book about a book about a movie about a house that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.) Much of it is written in a very textbook-like style, so if you can't handle reading that sort of thing, then this book isn't for you. Otherwise...give it a try. smile

As for books that are classified as horror...hmm. My favorite would probably be the first half of <I>Dracula</i> (I didn't care for the second half) or most any of Poe's short stories. I haven't read much modern horror, save a few Stephen King books (which I enjoyed quite a bit); I don't really write the stuff at all, and when I do, it is more for personal satisfaction than anything else. It's nothing I'd want to subject other readers to, at any rate..
The Infinite by Douglas Clegg. I got it from CVS and a novel of Jack the Ripper called Curtains of Blood by Robert J. Randisi, they were six dollars for the both. blaugh It was a good deal. 3nodding
I usually like to write psychological horror. Stuff that's kinda like the Ring or Jacob's Ladder.
biggrin If you want something really scary with a little knowledge or information about Psychology, I'll recommend you any books written by John Saul (but the best for me is Cry for Strangers and Suffer the Children) or William Golding (Lord of the Flies). These books are in classic clip because it was written around in the early 80's or late 60's. I was able to knew these books because of my bestfriend who is fond of collecting classic books especially the horror categories.
Lord of the flies really creeped me out... I felt depressed for about a week after I read it eek
hmmm... in my personal opinion the original dracula sucked (no pun intended) if you'd seen the film first, the film was easily better than the book, taking bram stoker ideas to a whole new level and adding a lot more depth to the characters. Especially Mina who is basically really pointless in the book, just there to be worshipped as some kind of nun... ick.
I write horror in the form of twisted fairy tales... I got given a book of grim and hans christian anderson fairy tales when I was a kid so I knew the real little mermaid story before the movie came out... some of the stuff they came up with was pretty twisted. I love that book 3nodding
Nochipa
I like to write horror a lot... my favorite horror book being "It" by Stephen King. It's awesome. If you haven't read it you should. I would assume you already know what it's about. Some other books that are good are The Shining, Rose Madder, Necronomicon.. First two being by SK and the last being by Lovecraft.

I have read "It" it was an amazing story. I couldn't put it down, lol. I have also read Dracula, which is a great source of inspiration for me. Lord of the Flies was just weird... I wasn't really sure what to think when I finished that one :S
Nochipa
Necronomicon.. First two being by SK and the last being by Lovecraft.

Actually the necronomicon wasn't written by lovecraft, but by the company who makes the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game. He never wrote a source material for the thing, he just referred to it as being written by the Mad Arab, and used that blasted couplet in like 40 of his stories.

That which is not dead may eternal lie
and ov'r great aeons even death may die.

That's the one. Anyways, Lovecraft never wrote the Necronomicon or any other mystical type books he mentioned in any of his short stories.

READ LOVECRAFT!
Superliminal advertising.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas