Welcome to Gaia! ::

600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Does anyone here have any tips in answering an essay? I was entering an essay contest but very nervous about doing it. Not that good

Devoted Worshipper

9,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Plan, plan and thoroughly plan.
Split the wordcount (if there is) up into chapters.

Dapper Gaian

8,925 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Be as honest as possible. You don't want to "create" an answer that you can't flesh out or back up.
You also want to get to the point and support it, not fluff it up.

Questionable Streaker

Answer the question with a "yes" or "no" answer and come to a strong conclusion. You should have roughly a point per paragraph, and your introduction should include a rephrase of the question, to prove you understand it.
It is also good to have both your argument, and at least one counter-argument (and if possible a proof as to why the counter-argument is less important than your arguments)

Darkesu's Darling

State what you're going to say in your essay in the first paragraph. Use transition sentences between ideas. Make sure that you try to avoid using the same words over and over again. Personally, I suggest that you just start writing to get idea's flowing, then you can actually start on your actual essay.
Plan it out thoroughly and re-edit it a thousand times to make it as good as possible.

Apocalyptic Seeker

If it deals with a book or anything I suppose, make sure you have a thesis sentence, with books they sometimes like you to use TAG, title author, genre.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
lehcar_of_moon
If it deals with a book or anything I suppose, make sure you have a thesis sentence. With books they sometimes like you to use TAG, title author, genre.

Not many fiction books have theses.Few need specific genres either until you're sending them to a publisher or agent. it's best not to get caught up on those and focus on the premise, plot, and characters.

Apocalyptic Seeker

I_Write_Ivre
lehcar_of_moon
If it deals with a book or anything I suppose, make sure you have a thesis sentence. With books they sometimes like you to use TAG, title author, genre.

Not many fiction books have theses.Few need specific genres either until you're sending them to a publisher or agent. it's best not to get caught up on those and focus on the premise, plot, and characters.

This was intended if she was writing an essay about some literary format, specifically if she's in high school. It's just something helpful and a tip.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
lehcar_of_moon
I_Write_Ivre
lehcar_of_moon

This was intended if she was writing an essay about some literary format, specifically if she's in high school. It's just something helpful and a tip.

Essays? Yes, they definitely need theses. Books don't.

The wording implied that books needed them.

Apocalyptic Seeker

I_Write_Ivre
lehcar_of_moon
I_Write_Ivre
lehcar_of_moon

Essays? Yes, they definitely need theses. Books don't.

The wording implied that books needed them.

Actually, I used the word it to imply the essay, but I can see where that would throw you off. I will try to make these things clearer in the future for you.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Always be willing to give more information when you need help. No one is psychic about what you leave out.

Prophet

Address the topic. This sounds stupid and obvious, but I know so many people who, when writing essays, don't answer the question posed or the topic it's about. They'll just kind of flounder in prose and write around the subject or put down a few sort-of relevant things but never actually hit the nail on the head.

You've gotta hit that nail. Address the subject. If your essay isn't relevant, all the planning in the world can't help you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff