Welcome to Gaia! ::

What kinda writing thing should I do?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 13, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 >

you know l. m. montgomery....wrote the anne books, she also wrote another series... the girl BURNS her book....all that i have to say is shame on you for destroying your own work..she comes to regret it, and you will too...even the worst, most cliched stuff has something worth keeping....ohh, it hurts to hear it...it burns...burns...ohhh
second, write what comes to mind....everyone reading the fantasy genre is really reading ripped off Tolkein....believe me....it all started with one writer.....so don't worry, you can get away with it....

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
calviness
you know l. m. montgomery....wrote the anne books, she also wrote another series... the girl BURNS her book....all that i have to say is shame on you for destroying your own work..she comes to regret it, and you will too...even the worst, most cliched stuff has something worth keeping....ohh, it hurts to hear it...it burns...burns...ohhh
second, write what comes to mind....everyone reading the fantasy genre is really reading ripped off Tolkein....believe me....it all started with one writer.....so don't worry, you can get away with it....

The ellipses...they burns us, they do!
Well first of all you shouldn't put the pressure on your self, because most people don't do well when they impose self-pressure. They become to self-critical. Second you need to find a release point. This can be done a couple of ways.

1) Find a partner that is willing to help you. (This is a difficult task because you must be on the same page.)

2) Find a nurturer that will help guide you. (Less difficult, but less helpful.)

3) Just write and don't stop for anything but the momentary pause to add in plot points and character motivations. (The number one cause of writing failing is when they stop writing. You can be more critical when you edit your draft, and you do that when you have gotten to a point where you think your done with the novel. Then you edit and change things around add some, sub tract some but you have written and completed a full draft at least.

4) Last thing is never tear up and throw out. An item you think sucks can be a resource material for the future when you have gained more confidence. Your confidence shows in your writing.

Celebrating Lover

6,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Statustician 100
Suggestion, don't ever rip something up again, you might actually like it later. And as for it sound too much like Harry Potter, that's okay. In the begining a lot of stories are very cliched and look a lot like other books. You need to practice being different....but the exerience doesn't come if you rip up everything that's too much like another book.
You feel you were writing a book too similar to harry potter?

I think most fans of harry potter that have attempted writing a book after reading it tend to do that. I know I have, and i understand it's stressful, and youre afraid you will get critisized, but just say "To hell with them all" and write freely. Write it first, then tell a friend to give some friendly (or if you would like, brutal) critisism.
If you still feel its too "harry Potter"-ish, just think about this:

Everyone has to get inspired.. You got inspired by Jk Rowling, Jk Rowling probably got inspired by JRR Tolkien, and so on and so on. All books that have the same theme of fantasy tend to be similar in different ways. Just go witht he flow, and have fun with it!
calviness

er, yeah, basically what I was trying to say, they said right here.
do what you feel you do best.
WRITE your hearts desire
Yeah I've started over again....a new start!! smile
You mean to tell me I won't be sued by the great hp writer for having similar work? I can write and be published with this little topic?
You could always combine genre's, which can be hard but the results can be good...
yea you should become a journalist or something with writing...
a comedic adeventure would be nice
To quote I-forget-who, "Stealing from one is plagarism, stealing from many is research"
It's perfectly natural to borrow from other stories. The key is to adjust your creation until it is unique and not a rip-off.
My favorite story I've ever created is called Fox. It started out as a Robin Hood fanfic, but now it's so different that you can't even tell unless you look very very closely. The characters all have original names, and have developed detailed personalities of their own. Another story of mine, Phoenix Oddity, started out as a Sailor Moon fanfic. Now it's anything BUT.
Don't worry if your story is too close to an already famous story. Just change it until it's not. I suggest getting the basics of the story down before you actually write anything, though.

Dapper Millionaire

6,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Generous 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
For the past seven years of my life I've been writing and rewriting the same story. It has constantly been influenced by movies, video games and animes. Though I have come away with something because of that.

There are no original ideas. Everything has been touched before, and the only thing you can do is dress it up to the best of your ability. Stay with your Harry Potter idea, but warp it in such a way that no one knows its like HP.
Story are very hard to make, but you open your mind the things that come never end. once you do that it will never stop unlest you don't do anything.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff