Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Phantom

So I'm starting a book and it's about a boy (about 17 or 18 ) who lives in downtown Manhattan and just feels lonely but is trying to seek friends and friendship.
So for the title I thought of Soul Walker.

Floppy Puppy

Soul Walker almost seems to hint at something more paranormal, and it doesn't really seem to fit what you've posted. However, because you haven't mentioned anything about conflict(s), it's difficult to really suggest anything about titles for your work. What's stopping him from making friends? Why does he feel lonely? Shouldn't he have plenty of opportunities to make friends if he's in high school? These are things to consider when creating a conflict if you haven't done so already.

Furthermore, it's usually best to write before creating a title because usually titles will jump out at you from your story rather than trying to think of a cool title during the prewriting stages.

Feral Loiterer

You just described about 50% of the YA market. Your description is a little to vague to really comment on that title or to provide any other titles. For all I know, The Haunting could be just as appropriate a title.

But KittKatt is right, it does sound paranormal.

Hilarious Phantom

KittKatt007
Soul Walker almost seems to hint at something more paranormal, and it doesn't really seem to fit what you've posted. However, because you haven't mentioned anything about conflict(s), it's difficult to really suggest anything about titles for your work. What's stopping him from making friends? Why does he feel lonely? Shouldn't he have plenty of opportunities to make friends if he's in high school? These are things to consider when creating a conflict if you haven't done so already.

Furthermore, it's usually best to write before creating a title because usually titles will jump out at you from your story rather than trying to think of a cool title during the prewriting stages.

Thanks for answering, What's stopping him from making friends is because he's shy and (correct me if I say this wrong) socially awkward.

He feels lonely because he has no friends, and lives by himself.

H

Floppy Puppy

XxFreezy Frosty ForeverxX
KittKatt007

Thanks for answering, What's stopping him from making friends is because he's shy and (correct me if I say this wrong) socially awkward.

H

Shy and socially awkward. All right, so you've got more of a man vs self kind of conflict, and that's a great conflict! But the only issue here is how does a seventeen year old live in Manhatten by himself? That's generally a really expensive area.

I'm sure you've got your story figured out, so you don't have to answer my questions if you'd prefer not to. The point is, wait until a title jumps out at you from your writing, but you can certainly have beta titles if you'd like. Just don't get attached to them as they may change.

Hilarious Phantom

KittKatt007
KittKatt007

H

Shy and socially awkward. All right, so you've got more of a man vs self kind of conflict, and that's a great conflict! But the only issue here is how does a seventeen year old live in Manhatten by himself? That's generally a really expensive area.

I'm sure you've got your story figured out, so you don't have to answer my questions if you'd prefer not to. The point is, wait until a title jumps out at you from your writing, but you can certainly have beta titles if you'd like. Just don't get attached to them as they may change.

I've thought of maybe having him come from a rich family, or just have a high paying job. But I do appreciate the advice!

Floppy Puppy

KittKatt007
KittKatt007

H

I've thought of maybe having him come from a rich family, or just have a high paying job. But I do appreciate the advice!

Fair enough. From what you've told me, you could include lonliness, social awkwardness, wealth, and Manhatten in your title, or something that sums it up. Also, be sure to keep it age appropriate. For example, A Friend for [main character] would be a simple title that sounds like a child's book, and Lonely in Manhatten sounds like a low budget x rated adult film. Something I forgot to add earlier, haha.

Tipsy Bloodsucker

Titles tend to be the hardest, especially if you don't have a solid plot set yet. I would suggest just writing, and as soon as inspiration strikes, come up with that winning title. (:
Soul Walker is a fine working title. As you write and edit, you'll see if it cements itself as the title or if another surpasses it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff