Welcome to Gaia! ::

An so I lay In my bed think of the word in wich I shall forge in the fires of my mind and I come across this question. The only races I focus on are Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and gnomes. But Yet the world I'm imagining is so much larger than that. And so I must request and assistance from all to help think of race big to small.(wow that sounded wierd)

A.T.(After thought) Maybe I could invent one?
Of course you could invent one, silly! Abad'uh!

You can't think of names for your story...you can't think of races...does your story at least have a plot?!

Try the website: Faerie Names It offers info on various faerie breeds.

Dapper Inquisitor

Really, it's your world. It would be best for you to decide what works best for it. But, I'm feeling generous, so I guess listing a few options I think of couldn't hurt.

Dark Elves (Commonly called The Drow)
Night Elves (It is an option, but I would recommend adding some original twist to them, or simply being careful on how you portray them. They were featured in WarCraft III, and since then they've started to scream cliché.)
Goblins/Orcs
Centaurs (You don't see many of these, though I don't know why. Centaurs are ... uh ... teh cool. Or however you say 'neat' in chatspeak.)
Kitsunes (I have Kitsunes featured in my books. A lovely little race of teleporting foxes. However, I recommend doing research involving the myth of the Kitsune before writing about them.)
I'm sure I could think of more, but my brain doesn't seem to want to work at this very moment. After a nice cuppa joe, mabye I can offer a few more options...
Some of those would be more classified as beasts... but any five-note logic wielding race I, personally, keep out of the beastiry and classify as a race. I consider animals/beasts to be creatures incapable of logical thought process.

Then, of course, you have faeries, nymphs, nereids, pixies, and similar small magic or nature oriented races. Most don't really classify these into their own individual races, but it couldn't hurt.
Classifying nymphs, faeries, and pixies into individual elements is fun. Like a Fire Faerie, or a Zephyr Pixie; whatever. However, since Neopets started (and ruined) the whole elemental faerie thing, tread carefully.
Damn Neopets.

You have dragons... Personally, my dragons are monstrous and beast-like; however, most seem to consider dragons great matriarchs and lords of wisdom, whom prefer peace over any form of battle. While my dragons would fit more into a beastiry than into a classification of races, others seem to want to classify them differently. So. Dragons.

Making up your own race is always fun. I've conjured seven, myself. Just be careful not to make a God-MODy race, yah yah.
For inspiration purposes, I recommend going here. It's a mythology encyclopedia, containing an archive of different beasts/etc. from different areas of mythology. It gives some good ideas if you're at loss for creating a race.
Just a suggestion if you plan to create a race. Only make it an anthromorph half-breed race as a last resort. Unless you think of a really original animal that hasn't been tried to death, be careful with your animal half-breeds. I swear if I see another half wolf or half cat person I'll scream. o.o;;
Don't get me wrong, they can be done tastefully. I guess I'm a hypocrite, because I have a half cat person myself. Still, I humbly believe I contain the knowledge to write as one without screaming: "lyk OMG half kitty half human w00t!" ...Anyway.
Really, since you need to give your world or whatever the "feeling" of being large (to suit your vision, I guess) more than anything else, I'd recommend just thinking about it like the background characters in Star Wars or something. Odd-looking people with funny names. That's really all most fantasy/sci-fi races amount to half the time anyways, so embrace the superficiality of the whole thing and run with it.
RichardCypher
Give me diffrent races or give me DEATH.
Well, since you asked for it ...

No, not really.

However, you're not entitled to conscript us into your creative process. It's your job to develop new races for your world, not ours, so it's presuming quite a bit to demand such from us.
Have you ever read The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference? If not, I think you should pick it up. It has a good chapter on different races, "cliche" and original, and several discussions on how to create your own - or how to play with the cliches of typical races, making them unique. A very good read indeed. 3nodding

If you're asking whether or not you're capable of creating your own...of course you are! I know my story involves some races I made up. It adds an interesting flavor to your world, I think. When you think about it, there's nothing to limit your creativity!

finalrain
However, you're not entitled to conscript us into your creative process. It's your job to develop new races for your world, not ours, so it's presuming quite a bit to demand such from us.

I got to agree. No matter what you do, remember that your world is your creation!

9,050 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Healer 50
  • Pie For All! 300
*gives you death* xd
dwarves, elves, humans, demons, imps, wizards, wyverns, dark angels, goblins, centaurs, to find mor you might want to see Fantastic beasts and where to find them
Moror
dwarves, elves, humans, demons, imps, wizards, wyverns, dark angels, goblins, centaurs, to find mor you might want to see Fantastic beasts and where to find them

No, no, no, god, NO.

First of all -- that's a supplementary book to Harry Potter. The beast descriptions are sketchy, and often incorrect in terms of the creature it's referring to...they've been changed to suit the world of the book.

THAT stifles creativity.

6,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
Guenivere
Try the website: Faerie Names It offers info on various faerie breeds.
My Celtic blood stirs within me. I am turned on by that site. heart

When I am feeling more patient (and have a Gaelic pronunciation guide) I will read through that site in full.

So, yeah. Think up yer own fantastic races. I use some of the fantasy basics (elves and dragons, but no dwarves or hobbit rip-offs) plus a few original ones.
Wow. I'm seriously not going to help you.

Watch. See me doing it?
One can always take different races one step farther. I have several types of demons with there own histories, a few types of nymphs, Katas (cat type creature... from ealier short stories), faires, pixes, your only limit is you imgatination.

Inventing is fun, allows me to mix my myth with their history. *huggles her stack of myth books* I don't copy myths I take certain idea of it, such as one claiming to be greater than than gods...

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
Djinn. I never see anything written about Djinn sad as that may be.
You could always just use humans than give them different shades of skin or physical traits depending on the region. There is no sin in describing a character dark skinned in a story or anything.
Tenko72
Djinn. I never see anything written about Djinn sad as that may be.

Secret of the Sixth Magic by Lyndon Harvey. Djinneh in there. And in the Darksword Series, I believe. Either that or another randome series. I agree, Djinns are highly unused by those not of desert culture. But to be honest, I refuse to be of aid in any quest to create yet another cliche fantasy scape. Screw it. stressed

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff