Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magic Hero

14,840 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Fusion Novice 50
I follow a lot of good authors on Fanfiction.net so i would recommend it over archives of our own.

Devoted Wench

9,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
It's pretty much the most well known website to place fanfiction so you can find a lot of good things there, but consequently, a lot of bad. It helps to look for recommendations if your looking to read fanfiction from a particular fandom. I'm sure there are other places to look for them, but generally I head over to TV Tropes to hit up their recommendations list. I'm not interested in nor read everything listed, but when I do, I'm seldom disappointed.

Beloved Prophet

I used to primarily post on/use ff.net, but since I've discovered ao3, I prefer reading/posting on there. Reading things on ff.net gives me a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm always wary when I hear someone talking about a fic they read on the site. Regardless, I still use both sites, but ao3 is higher on my pedestal.

Distinct Raider

Nanaran

I agree with Nanaran. I sometimes go to TV Tropes and look up the fanfic recs for a specific fandom. They have links to stories from several sites, including fanfiction.net and archive of our own.

"Ninety percent of everything is crap." --Theodore Sturgeon (whoever that is)

It'll be the same on any website you look at. (It's the same on Gaia.) The fanfic rec pages are nice because they only show stories that someone thinks is worth high praise, instead of searching through everything on the website itself.

Questionable Poster

It's good if you're looking for some gems out of the old fandoms.
Although if you're looking for more of the explicit content, there's always archiveofourown.org which has a much more user friendly layout. But older fandoms don't get as many hits there.

Although now I see what someone meant when they said ff.net is where fanfiction goes to die. Getting general feedback from readers (ie. reviews) is like pulling teeth. Personally, I only use ff.net to reread some past favorites that originally gave me inspiration.

Invisible Streaker

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Timid 100
"Their is a diamond in the sand, somewhere on this beach. Now go find it Before the tide comes in!"

"If this is a beach, where is the water?"
It's bad, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Fan fiction is for people who can't make anything on their own and people who read it for entertainment are squandering their lives.
It depends on the fandom for me. Some move slower than others, although depending on which site you check the same fic may even be updated sooner since more ff.net authors are also posting on AO3.

As for "squandering my life" I really don't know...

Probably, but I could still think of worse ways to have spent my time.

Chatty Member

It's good, but I prefer AO3.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas