Welcome to Gaia! ::

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100
Stumped!
I tried writing a fairy tale based on something that happened to me and was told I needed to "dream bigger" but reality is weighing me down.
What DOES that mean?
If someone comes back after leaving...but that's not really, truly big is it? I'm stuck!
It could depend on what your story is about or includes. Can you give a summary of it? It could make helping easier.

Questionable Prophet

It probably means you're sticking too closely to what your story was inspired by.
Think of all those movies inspired by true stories--not remotely close to what actually happened, and unless you're writing a memoir you should probably take the same attitude with your's.

There are plenty of great stories about people coming back to where they originally started, but the person has usually changed. Think "The Wizard of Oz" or "Alice in Wonderland".
Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
It probably means you're sticking too closely to what your story was inspired by.

Expand on the original idea to create a more interesting story. Also fairy tales are known to tell a message, one of how to behave or act. Look at the original fairy tales(not Disney) and see how they are brought together.

Note down ideas, everything you think of that could possibly work in your story. Research is essential to forming the story as well.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
KimCare
I tried writing a fairy tale based on something that happened to me

How does that even work? A fairy tale needs to involve fairies or other fantastic occurrences. Something that happened to you isn't necessarily fairy tale material, y'know?

Kawaii Shoujo

Embellish your details; you can do this by adding more unique and larger than life scenarios.

Beloved Lightbringer

34,775 Points
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Cosmic Healer 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
As was touched on, a "fairy tale" is a very specific type of story, one that typically leans toward supernatural elements used to convey a specific theme/moral while sacrificing (or just not incorporating) much characterization and in-depth development. That being said, is there a particular reason you're trying to write a 'fairy tale'? Or are you simply want to tell the story? Unless you're writing to a moral (as in an allegory or fable, etc.), my advice is to write your story however feels best to you, and then you can figure out afterward what it's doing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff