Welcome to Gaia! ::

Conservative Flatterer

12,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200
I was browsing the writing section of Craigslist today, just to see what was on there, and I came across a post from a "Small Publishing Company." They claim that if you submit, basically, a query and they like your work they will publish it and give you $150-$250.
That is all the information given, but I did send an email to request more, though they have not responded back as of yet. I will post their response if I receive one.
To me it does seem fishy, but I suppose there's always the possibility that the company is just trying to get on its own two feet by advertising wherever they can.
What are your opinions?
Seems fishy to me, yeah. How will they be paying you? I'm always wary of people just fishing for personal information over sites like that. I'd want to know exactly who the company was and how long they'd been in business before I gave them any info.

If you can't do that, then I'd demand payment by paypal. If they refuse that, then they're clearly not legit, because what's the difference when it really comes down to it?
Yes, red flags are going up.

Doutrope Digest. Go there for your submitting needs.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
That is pretty odd, especially since most legit publishing companies pay the author based on how many books are sold along with the initial payment.

Conservative Flatterer

12,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200
PKMN Breeder Aello
Seems fishy to me, yeah. How will they be paying you? I'm always wary of people just fishing for personal information over sites like that. I'd want to know exactly who the company was and how long they'd been in business before I gave them any info.

If you can't do that, then I'd demand payment by paypal. If they refuse that, then they're clearly not legit, because what's the difference when it really comes down to it?

There was absolutely no information besides what I have typed up there. Not even a name, I noticed it was based out of Charlotte, somewhere on the ad. Still no word on a reply.

Sir Icehawk
Yes, red flags are going up.

Doutrope Digest. Go there for your submitting needs.

That's what I figured, too little information for my liking. I try to research anything I can before I take any step. Thank you, I shall look that up! smile

Conservative Flatterer

12,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200
marshmallowcreampie
That is pretty odd, especially since most legit publishing companies pay the author based on how many books are sold along with the initial payment.

Exactly. My main concern was that and...well pretty much everything else!

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I hate those ads. Thou think you found a small, start-up company and you found a scam that just keeps coming back.

Conservative Flatterer

12,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200
User Image

Well it's been about 6 hours since I attempted to contact them and nothing has been sent back. And all I asked for was the name of their company! Yes, definitely a scam, I believe.
User Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces