Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you know what a synecdoche is?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 6, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2

finalrain
Mshprk
Part of the problem is that text doesn't transfer vocal inflection. I just meant to spur people to answer; I assumed some people out there were thinking about it, and I was giving the hints. You mentionedd being a great writer; a great writer would've conveyed that.
xd Cute, but no. A <i>great</i> writer communicates. You didn't communicate that you wanted us to <i>guess</i> the meaning of the word synecdoche, or try to figure it out based on hints you were going to string along. That doesn't mean you're not a great writer, it just means this thread isn't up to the level of your abilities.

I wasn't saying anything about my writing abilities! I just thought this was an appropriate place to post this. It's actually a follow-up to another post titled "What's your favorite synecdoche?", which was banished to the recycle bin. I was just wondering, after no one responded to the first post, if anyone even knew what it meant. When they didn't I thought it'd make a good game. Guess not.
Mshprk
I wasn't saying anything about my writing abilities! I just thought this was an appropriate place to post this. It's actually a follow-up to another post titled "What's your favorite synecdoche?", which was banished to the recycle bin. I was just wondering, after no one responded to the first post, if anyone even knew what it meant. When they didn't I thought it'd make a good game. Guess not.

The Recycle Bin, eh? I'm sure there was a good reason for that... neutral
The Lisa Faerie
A part of something that is used to represent a whole of something.

It sounds like my hometown, Schenectady!

I know where that is...
Zacharra
The Lisa Faerie

I know where that is...

Isn't that in New York?
Kain Odium
Zacharra
The Lisa Faerie

I know where that is...

Isn't that in New York?

Yes. Yes it is.
A synechdote is, put simply, substituting a more inclusive term for a less inclusive one or vice versa. whee

Yay for English 101.

An obvious example is the use of "the Man" to refer to the government. Tell me if I'm wrong on that - it's what my teacher said. surprised
The Lisa Faerie
Kain Odium
Zacharra
The Lisa Faerie

I know where that is...

Isn't that in New York?

Yes. Yes it is.

I drive through there occasionally.
Mshprk
MuchoMaas
syn?ec?do?che

A figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole (as hand for sailor), the whole for a part (as the law for police officer), the specific for the general (as cutthroat for assassin), the general for the specific (as thief for pickpocket), or the material for the thing made from it (as steel for sword).

The deck hand fought the law and pulled his steel. But johnny had his iron and popped a cap in him.

Dictionaries are cheating. You're no fun.

Hey, the internet is a great research tool. I thought the point would be to expose people to a technique or define a technique in common usage. I could have masked the fact that I got the definition from dictionary.com but I thought I'd focus on the example sentence.
Efiel
The Recycle Bin, eh? I'm sure there was a good reason for that... neutral

Yeah, they said I "already ran another thread about it", so I'm guessing that they thought this one came first. It was pretty sparse, reply-wise, too.
Pantaliamon
A synechdote is, put simply, substituting a more inclusive term for a less inclusive one or vice versa. whee

Yay for English 101.

An obvious example is the use of "the Man" to refer to the government. Tell me if I'm wrong on that - it's what my teacher said. surprised

According to the teacher I learned it from, yours is spot on.
MuchoMaas
Mshprk
MuchoMaas
syn?ec?do?che

A figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole (as hand for sailor), the whole for a part (as the law for police officer), the specific for the general (as cutthroat for assassin), the general for the specific (as thief for pickpocket), or the material for the thing made from it (as steel for sword).

The deck hand fought the law and pulled his steel. But johnny had his iron and popped a cap in him.

Hey, the internet is a great research tool. I thought the point would be to expose people to a technique or define a technique in common usage. I could have masked the fact that I got the definition from dictionary.com but I thought I'd focus on the example sentence.

I was being a little facetious, there. Your example sentence is an exemplary one.
Mshprk
MuchoMaas
syn?ec?do?che

I thought it was clever, actually. sweatdrop
MarchinoCherry
I thought it was clever, actually. sweatdrop

Thought what about it was clever?
Mshprk
Besides me?
unknown_death
Mshprk
Besides me?

Is that the number of people besides me who know what a synecdoche is?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff