Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you know what a synecdoche is?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on December 6, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Besides me?
A part of something that is used to represent a whole of something.

It sounds like my hometown, Schenectady!
>.< it sounds like a sneeze...
The Lisa Faerie
A part of something that is used to represent a whole of something.

It sounds like my hometown, Schenectady!

That's a part of it, but not all.
bluedragonwd
>.< it sounds like a sneeze...

Not quite...
There's a reason it's on the writing forum.
C'mon. Writers use them all the time, especially poets...
Please don't bump. In this slow-moving forum, it's unnecessary; if your thread can't stay on the front page on its own - threads generally are on the first page for a day or so anyway - then it's obviously not one that people are interested in.
MuchoMaas
syn?ec?do?che

A figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole (as hand for sailor), the whole for a part (as the law for police officer), the specific for the general (as cutthroat for assassin), the general for the specific (as thief for pickpocket), or the material for the thing made from it (as steel for sword).

The deck hand fought the law and pulled his steel. But johnny had his iron and popped a cap in him.

Dictionaries are cheating. You're no fun.
The Lisa Faerie
Please don't bump. In this slow-moving forum, it's unnecessary; if your thread can't stay on the front page on its own - threads generally are on the first page for a day or so anyway - then it's obviously not one that people are interested in.

Okay.
Well, when you're going to be all "I know what this is and you don't, therefore I'm a greater writer because I know the names of my literary terms!" then, yeah, people aren't going to care as much.
The Lisa Faerie
Well, when you're going to be all "I know what this is and you don't, therefore I'm a greater writer because I know the names of my literary terms!" then, yeah, people aren't going to care as much.

I ain't said nuttin' 'bout bein' no great writer. Them's your words.
I use dictionaries for two reasons. If I don't know what the meaning of a word is, I look it up. Or, if I don't know or don't remember how to spell a word, I look it up.

How is the former considered "cheating?"
Part of the problem is that text doesn't transfer vocal inflection. I just meant to spur people to answer; I assumed some people out there were thinking about it, and I was giving the hints. You mentionedd being a great writer; a great writer would've conveyed that.
Mshprk
Part of the problem is that text doesn't transfer vocal inflection. I just meant to spur people to answer; I assumed some people out there were thinking about it, and I was giving the hints. You mentionedd being a great writer; a great writer would've conveyed that.
xd Cute, but no. A <i>great</i> writer communicates. You didn't communicate that you wanted us to <i>guess</i> the meaning of the word synecdoche, or try to figure it out based on hints you were going to string along. That doesn't mean you're not a great writer, it just means this thread isn't up to the level of your abilities.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff