Yes, but I'm often dissaponted. 0.24324324324324 24.3% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 37 ]
< 1 2

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I'll read as much as possible before the canon is out of whack. I've read some like that and I've read some that couldn't keep continuity beyond the first sentence.

Phantom

If I see a sequel and haven't read the first one, I don't usually jump into just reading the sequel. I'm most likely not to read either, but if the summary of the sequel is compelling enough, I have been interested enough to end up reading both.

The more sequels it has, the less likely I am to continue, unless the writing is good and I'm enjoying it. I'm trying to remember how many stories I've read that have sequels to them that I've read too, but I can't quite remember (meaning, there's a lot of them). For the most part, it's just one sequel. I can think of a current story I'm reading that's on the third story in the series, and it's been really well-written, so it's got my interest still. There was another series that was pretty decently written, but after the second story of four, I haven't found the motivation to read the remaining two yet (if ever), probably because of how far it's gone away from canon.

The most number of stories in a series of fanfics that I can remember reading was six or seven. They were pretty short and each centered around a different character. It started with one character finding out the main character's big secret in the first story, and pretty much each sequel was a kind of domino effect, as each focus-character of each sequel found out the secret in turn (whether because one of the previous characters to find out accidentally let it slip or they discovered it on their own because the main character's behavior had changed or whatever).

There is one ongoing story that I can think of that is a sequel (and most likely to be the end of the story), and it is doing exceptionally well. If you were to search the category it's in on ff.net and sort by fave/follow/review etc, it's within the top stories listed. Taking the following filters, this is how it measures up to the rest of the fanfics in the category (out of 17k fanfics):
Sort by Review, Rating All - Story 1 is 4th and its Sequel is 15th in the entire category
Sort by Favorites, Rating All - Story 1 is 3rd and its Sequel is 14th in the entire category
Sort by Follows, Rating All - Story 1 is 3rd and its Sequel is 2nd in the entire category

So, out of 17,000 stories, it's not that surprising to see it at the top. It's excellently written, you can follow the author's progress on tumblr (she posts sneak previews of the next chapter sometimes), there's fanart out there for the story, it's updated consistently (once a month), and it's one of the types of storylines that fans of the series love to read/write about (it's one of the best executions of the trope). Breaking it into two separate stories makes a lot of sense, because the first one is very much about one thing, while the second is a combination of aftermath from the first and a new storyline that's integrated in there (not to mention that the characters involved are different... the first one was limited to focus on three characters, the second one includes many more that were unable to be in the first one and can now react to things that happened in the first one by being present).

As for writing sequels myself, I've only got one that I'm planning, and it's probably going to stay that way. Both stories have really tight storylines, but it makes a lot of sense to split it into two, since one is very much focused on one thing while the other is focused on a different thing (and different characters are more central in one than the other). It works well as two stories. I haven't started posting either story yet. I'm planning on using some things I've learned from observation of other stories (and from marketing) to help boost the readership of these stories.
only if the first one was good.

Shy Gaian

3,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Klaark
Meaning, when you see the title of a fanfic and either a number after it, or something in the summary saying it's a sequel to another fanfic, do you read it?

I write a lot of sequels to my fanfics, but I don't read them. I think, "Bleh. I'll have to go read the first one now, and keep track of how they've fiddled with the original, forget it."

I've noticed the sequels I write don't get read as much, which is funny because in my humble opinion, they're the better ones. Maybe they're shittier, I don't know, but I don't think so.

I'm thinking, next time I write a fanfic and feel it could use a sequel, before posting it, I'll just write the sequel and make the entire thing longer. Most long ones I do are around 30k words, and if I were to add another 60k in 30k installments I'd be like "Well why didn't I just write a **** book?"

EDIT:

New question,

Assuming you do read, or even write, sequels, how far do you go? Will you read part three or even four?

My experience has left me not wanting to write more than two, because once you hit three you've bent the canon so far out of whack it's hard to stick to. Certain fandoms make this easier than others.

If I liked the first series, I'll read the sequel.

It really depends on how it is done.

Malevolent Sage

14,400 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Battle: Mage 100
Like most here, yes if it's decent. Problem is, I'm extremely nitpicky on writing so not many stories pass the test - fanfic at least.

Timid Consumer

Depends on how well written the first one was.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff