Welcome to Gaia! ::

Barton Noob

2,550 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • First step to fame 200
I write 90% of my stuff on my computer.
I carry notebooks around though for ideas when I'm on the go.
I'm faster at typing than I am at writing, and spellcheck gives me a little help and stops me making all the stupid mistakes I make when I handwrite stuff.
I still love journals and notebooks. I collect them. XD
Neither, haha. I write on loose-leaf. I just don't really like notebooks because I can't rearrange sections, and looseleaf gives me more flexibility. I keep all my looseleaf stuff in one of these so it doesn't get lost. It's also great to press on.

I'm actually faster at getting my ideas down on paper than on a computer because my typing speed sucks, and if I do carry around a notebook with me, I quickly jot down any ideas I have. And I don't need to worry too much about other people reading it--it's actual work for me to make my handwriting readable to anyone apart from me.

But yeah. I write on looseleaf, with a .5 mechanical pencil. I'm rather particular about that.
Computer: 1. I type really fast. 2. Thesaurus/Dictionary is easily accessible. 3. Spell Check 4. I can't read my own handwriting

I usually have my iPod/Cell handy too. xd I think I've got four or five notes full of random details I need to include in my writing.
I even text myself sometimes.

However, I prefer outlining everything on paper. (Your point on the act of writing itself is also spot on. I love the way my hand glides when I write in marker or pen. XD) Doodling and drawing visuals is really helpful to me. You can't really do that on a laptop.
On a blank sheet of paper, you can start anywhere. You have complete freedom. (*coughifyourhandwritingislegiblecough*)
I have plenty of friends who write their stories down in notebooks but later retype them on a computer. It's a great way to catch grammar mistakes and add detail. You get to edit it and get it post-ready at the same time. Two birds with one stone. razz

Tipsy Raider

As much as I'd loved to say I prefer to write on a notebook, I admit that deep down inside I'm a computer person. I bring one or two notebooks with me most of the time just so I can write on the go, but it always annoys me how I cannot simply backspace or edit my errors, and the page gets filled with untidy corrections. It is indeed satisfying to see how far I've come just by flipping through the pages, but... The computer just does it for me the way I want it, and I can't help but choose it over the notebook!

Gregapeg's Wife

Spicy Sweetheart

I used to prefer writing by hand. But then I got carpal tunnel like wtf and I developed a pretty ugly callus on my middle finger where the pen or pencil would press into. I've gotten rid of the callus since then but the flesh has thickened there so there's still a slightly-there bump. 3:<

The computer is better for my lifestyle now anyway. I can accomplish 100x the work in the same amount of time it would take me to manually write things out, which is important for a person who only has about an hour of free time most days.

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Personally I prefer to type it. I can type much quicker then I can write and if I make a mistake I can just delete it (although if it's large chunks I can cut it onto a different dcoument). I also have a problem with grammar because of suspected dyspraxia so having spell/grammar check is very useful to me. I also like the 'Find' feature so I can go straight to the section I want instead of having to read and skip sections, which can take forever (it took me an hour once to find the section I wanted....).

I do like writing on paper too. When I'm on holiday I bring a notebook and pen so I can write stuff down as soon as I get inspiration. Sometimes it's illegible because of writing in darkness or in transit. When I'm at home sometimes writing on paper makes planning easier and I can have that on my side with my laptop in front of me, without having to switch between documents.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I prefer writing on a computer. I can type faster than I write, and I won't hurt my hand. My right hand has some issues so I don't like to write nonstop. It's also a lot easier to edit, correct spelling errors, change character names, etc. Not to mention that if I want to show the work to other people, I have more options.

Greedy Tycoon

5,825 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Wall Street 200
I used to only write on paper, but being an English major has ruined me; too many essays to do by hand. Now I can't write on paper. My thoughts work much faster than I can physically write, but I type fast enough (anywhere between 65 to 95 words a minute) to at least keep up.
I also edit as I go, and paper doesn't really give me that luxury. If it were just punctuation and small things, it wouldn't be too bad, but I go back and take out paragraphs, add paragraphs, etc. It's a hassle trying to cram a new paragraph in the margins.
I suck at brainstorming on a computer though. It has something to do with the organization. I like my brainstorming to be all over the place and I don't have free range on a word processor.
Depends, honestly. Both have their pros and cons for me.

Computer:
1. I type really, really fast so when my ideas are really flowing, it's best when I can get them down quickly.

2. Quick editing as I go is much easier. It annoys me when I can't edit something right away because I'm paranoid about forgetting something. It's also why I don't get much done in a notebook besides crappy rough drafts.

3. If I'm hooked up on the internet, I can look information I need up right then and there.

4. Files can be backed up but if I lose my notebook after just writing a chapter, I'm screwed.

Notebook:
1. My eyes are sensitive, so when I don't feel like feeling with the strain, the notebook is nicer.

2. I always seem to work things out easier when writing rather than typing. Gives me more time to think as I write since it's slower.

3. Easier to carry around, so I can write at school and on trips without worrying about battery power or a backache from carrying a heavy laptop. (My laptop is kind of big for a laptop and I usually have other heavy books I have to carry with me so it really adds to the weight.)

4. Easier to just jot down quick notes and I can doodle my way to inspiration when I get stuck.

5. I don't get as easily distracted on a notebook as a computer.

As I said, it really depends on the situation and my mood for which one I'd rather write in.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
I often write in a notebook when I'm away from a computer, like others have said, but I do prefer the computer. I type much faster than I write, and typing hurts my hand less than writing for a long time does.

Dapper Noob

To be honest I don't get how people can write on computers, it destroys all my ideas by staring at that blank screen :/

Paper on the other hand is so much better, especially because I can write wherever I want ( sunny spots are especially nice) and since I only have a computer I'll be forever stuck in my dark room.. gonk

So yeah, paper all the way :3
I usually prefer paper, yet I almost always end up typing out my ideas. I'm really not sure why. Back in high-school I was much better about taking pen to paper. I agree with most everyone else about staring at that blank screen. Kills me.

Questionable Streaker

Computer. I get easily distracted when I'm writing on paper (AND I can turn spell check off on my word processor so)
Although I feel as if I could get more writing done while on the computer, I much prefer to write in a notebook. There's something about seeing my words written on paper as opposed to a computer screen. I feel as if it's safer also. I had a computer crash on me once and I lost two or three short stories I was playing around with. While notebooks can become damaged, I can keep them in my desk drawer where I can know they will be safe.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff